• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Coaches at a crossroads

The abuse Bill Self and the Jayhawks will unleash on us at Atlantis may become epic thanks to our dumbass AD pulling the culture card with the reprimand.

Maybe we'll get very lucky and not play Kansas the entire trip.

The Wiggins highlight reels against us may be one of the only times we are even seen on SportsCenter next year.

VERY insane and not 100% fair at all given the personnel mess he inherited.

Indeed....some here have already embarked on the 'take no prisoners' plan.

What's insane is that Emmon never really spoke to what a miserable coach [Redacted] has proven himself to be. Starring non-winning season #7 straight in the face.

And yes, it's sad that not only are we 8th in an 8 team tournament, we are worse than UTEP and a USC team who has two of our former players.

Eh. UTEP lost to every ranked team they played. USC beat 1 ranked opponent. We beat 2 including the #2 team in the country. I wouldn't say we're worse than those teams, I'd just say we're all awful and it's a complete crap-shoot as to who really deserves last - but we're all trying our best to get there.

VERY insane and not 100% fair at all given the personnel mess he inherited.

Indeed....some here have already embarked on the 'take no prisoners' plan.

What's insane about it? All data shows the guy is a train wreck of a coach spanning across his whole career.

And how long can he ride the alleged personnel disaster he inherited? He's entering Year Four.

Alleged ?

I didn't/don't like Buzz either but you've got to be kidding with that.

[Redacted] didn't and doesn't have to deal with a single thing that no other coach deals with. Competent coaches can inherit psychopaths and have a successful program after 3 seasons- and that's not even including those coaching in the ACC with that as a recruiting draw. You have to be kidding with the "fair" bullshit.

You have to be kidding with the "fair" bullshit.

In a fair world, a person with the incompetence of [Redacted] doesn't end up at one of the top college bball jobs in the country. If things were fair, he'd be coaching women's high school bball right now.

Alleged ?

I didn't/don't like Buzz either but you've got to be kidding with that.

I see. You must mean the "hooligans" and "bad apples" that several of our current assistants worked hard to recruit, that we re-recruited after Dino left, and that Wellman said the AD "vetted." Do they comprise the "[not simply] alleged [but real] personnel disaster"?

Eh. UTEP lost to every ranked team they played. USC beat 1 ranked opponent. We beat 2 including the #2 team in the country. I wouldn't say we're worse than those teams, I'd just say we're all awful and it's a complete crap-shoot as to who really deserves last - but we're all trying our best to get there.

And UTEP's starting SG last season was former Wake player, Konner Tucker.

In a fair world, a person with the incompetence of [Redacted] doesn't end up at one of the top college bball jobs in the country. If things were fair, he'd be coaching women's high school bball right now.

Sorry, have to disagree with you there. This is more like it (except for the trophy, of course):

group1blog.jpg

So seriously- do you think he could even be successful at that level? I know his NBA history but I honestly doubt his abilities with HS girls. Besides, that really wouldn't be fair to those girls.

Brennan nailed it. Especially this part

Things are so bad at this point that you wonder if fans could ever be happy with [Redacted]. You have to wonder if there's any plausible level of success his next team could scale that would halt the popular uprising. We've gone so far down the rabbit hole it is hardly inconceivable to think fans would be cheering against their own team, paranoid that Wake brass will use any excuse to forge ahead.

DC defending Dino? Is this real life?

I did what now? I guess saying that for self-preservation Wellman could have let Dino hang himself is about as close to defending Dino's performance as the head coach of Wake Forest as I'll ever get.

Like it or not, to the outside world the idea that a coach gets 4 years to build their own program is actually pretty accepted. The best thing about this year is that there are no real excuses left. None of this "these aren't my players" or "we're too young to compete" or "we don't have the bodies to compete" or "it's take time to learn the offense" nonsense.

You think you can win by coaching up lower ranked kids and building a cohesive group? Now's the time to prove it. We've got an all-freshmen ACC center returning. Considering how much playing time they got our sophomores are almost like juniors now. Moto and CMM are plenty talented. We brought in an experienced scorer to make up for some of CJ's scoring. We have some size on the bench. Top it off with McKie's senior season.

If we start the ACC season the way we finished, 1-5 let's say - the outcry to fire [Redacted] mid-season is going to be deafening.

I did what now? I guess saying that for self-preservation Wellman could have let Dino hang himself is about as close to defending Dino's performance as the head coach of Wake Forest as I'll ever get.

Like it or not, to the outside world the idea that a coach gets 4 years to build their own program is actually pretty accepted. The best thing about this year is that there are no real excuses left. None of this "these aren't my players" or "we're too young to compete" or "we don't have the bodies to compete" or "it's take time to learn the offense" nonsense.

You think you can win by coaching up lower ranked kids and building a cohesive group? Now's the time to prove it. We've got an all-freshmen ACC center returning. Considering how much playing time they got our sophomores are almost like juniors now. Moto and CMM are plenty talented. We brought in an experienced scorer to make up for some of CJ's scoring. We have some size on the bench. Top it off with McKie's senior season.

If we start the ACC season the way we finished, 1-5 let's say - the outcry to fire [Redacted] mid-season is going to be deafening.

Want to bet?

Back