• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

...which would make hiring an AD difficult. This is like making a coach keep our current assistants.

Yep. The handwriting has been on the wall with Wellman and nobody was reading it. If he had announced "retirement" last year starting in May 2014, we could have had a new AD in place to make this hire.

Yea, but it's the perception of Wellman that's killing us. A lot of Coaches shy away from going to work for a lame duck.

The press conference last week should have been Ron stepping aside. He still can. It would make our job a better one & give us a shot to bring a Coach with an AD in as a package or just hire Buddie.

At this point, assuming the search is going in the toilet as "some" have reported, it might be in Wake's best interest to simply step back and re-evaluate. Specifically, force Wellman to retire immediately and/or allow the fool to have some title that will still feed his ego but gets him OUT of this hiring process. Then, install either Childress or Larue with a clear title of interim coach and then set about the business of hiring a top-shelf AD. This would mean total sucktitude in the 2014-15 season BUT it might be in the best interest of our athletic program long-term. In this way, Wake hires a quality AD who can then come on board, without the Wellman baggage, and conduct the proper search for a highly qualified basketball coach.

I agree with donaldross re: Wellman and I think this means we're going about this process in a backwards manner. Get the right AD on-board and THEN go out and try to make the sexy hire we desperately need.

I disagree with this. Particularly if the new AD is part of the interview process. Marquette's search was abysmal and they still don't have an AD. A known boss (who is/was chair of the NCAA committee) + knowing the new upcoming boss >> than not knowing who the new boss will be. Wellman has kept this search on lockdown. Let's see what they come up with.

You proved the point that you disagreed with. Marquette royally screwed up the Shaka "hire" and hired a guy whose resume is exclusively K's bitch. Congratulations, Marquette. Y'all got a good one.

...which would make hiring an AD difficult. This is like making a coach keep our current assistants.

That could be a factor if the AD is anyone other than a current insider like Buddie.

But that's a risk I'm very willing to accept if it gives us an improved shot now at the slam-dunk Shaka tier.

At this point, assuming the search is going in the toilet as "some" have reported, it might be in Wake's best interest to simply step back and re-evaluate. Specifically, force Wellman to retire immediately and/or allow the fool to have some title that will still feed his ego but gets him OUT of this hiring process. Then, install either Childress or Larue with a clear title of interim coach and then set about the business of hiring a top-shelf AD. This would mean total sucktitude in the 2014-15 season BUT it might be in the best interest of our athletic program long-term. In this way, Wake hires a quality AD who can then come on board, without the Wellman baggage, and conduct the proper search for a highly qualified basketball coach.

I agree with donaldross re: Wellman and I think this means we're going about this process in a backwards manner. Get the right AD on-board and THEN go out and try to make the sexy hire we desperately need.

And let's say we have decent season next year with Chill or Rusty at the helm, you don't think they'd get retained?

I prefer Manning over Mack, but mostly for 'gut' reasons. Basically, I think he'd be able to parlay his unique background to more recruiting success than his written resume would otherwise indicate, and I think there's a bit more of a curiosity / "intrigue" factor with Manning than with yet another branch off the Prosser tree.

That said, I obviously can't quibble with Mack's strong NCAA record or recruiting success at Xavier; I just happen to think that neither of those factors will translate to Wake particularly well, given that (i) his honeymoon period will be relatively lukewarm as many Wake fans may just frown and say, "Wait, that tall blond guy who was an assistant here back in like '02?", and that (ii) recruiting legitimate, 4-star high-major talent to Xavier hasn't been a particularly difficult task in quite some time now.

As best I can tell, Danny Manning recruited one top-100 recruit to Kansas in his six years as an assistant there, and tagged along with Self on a couple of visits to Xavier Henry after he decommitted from Memphis.

Chris Mack has recruited better at Xavier, in terms of getting top-100 players, than either Sean Miller or Thad Matta. I'm not going to parse out who got whom at the very edges of tenures, but Matta coached there from 2002-2004. In the 2003-2005 classes, Xavier pulled 1 top-100 recruit, #56 Churchill Odia ('04). Miller was there from 2004-2009, and landed #100 Adrion Graves ('06), #48 Kenny Frease ('08), and (presumably) #87 Justin Martin ('10). Mack has been there since 2009, and landed #54 Dez Wells ('11), #49 Semaj Christan ('12), #98 Brandon Randolph ('13), #45 Trevon Bluiett ('14), and #78 Edmond Sumner ('14). (All rankings RSCI, except 2014, which is ESPN).

I fail to see the case for how Manning would be a better recruiter than Mack.

And let's say we have decent season next year with Chill or Rusty at the helm, you don't think they'd get retained?

I am saying that the new athletic director would at least be allowed to assess and make these decisions rather attempting force a square peg into a round hole which it appears we are hell-bent on doing at the moment.

As best I can tell, Danny Manning recruited one top-100 recruit to Kansas in his six years as an assistant there, and tagged along with Self on a couple of visits to Xavier Henry after he decommitted from Memphis.

Chris Mack has recruited better at Xavier, in terms of getting top-100 players, than either Sean Miller or Thad Matta. I'm not going to parse out who got whom at the very edges of tenures, but Matta coached there from 2002-2004. In the 2003-2005 classes, Xavier pulled 1 top-100 recruit, #56 Churchill Odia ('04). Miller was there from 2004-2009, and landed #100 Adrion Graves ('06), #48 Kenny Frease ('08), and (presumably) #87 Justin Martin ('10). Mack has been there since 2009, and landed #54 Dez Wells ('11), #49 Semaj Christan ('12), #98 Brandon Randolph ('13), #45 Trevon Bluiett ('14), and #78 Edmond Sumner ('14). (All rankings RSCI, except 2014, which is ESPN).

Manning is black, tall, and played in the NBA. Thus, some people just assume he can recruit.

I am saying that the new athletic director would at least be allowed to assess and make these decisions rather attempting force a square peg into a round hole which it appears we are hell-bent on doing at the moment.

Agreed. If we have to go that route, that's the way to do it. No Bz. No Battle. Let Rusty and Chill and whoever they want as assistants do it. Basketball alums can still recruit in earnest without knowing if they'll have a job and still be motivated if they know they won't have a job.

Of course, I'm not sure if I trust our brass to hire an AD, but that's just what we're stuck with for now.

We need a new AD.

WINNER.jpg

I'm all for Mike Buddie. Wellman needs to fall on his sword and go.

What do you see as the differences between Buddie and Wellman? How do we know he won't just be more of the same? I'm seriously asking because I have no idea and it sounds like you may have insight.

How does someone find out who was responsible for recruiting who? Is there a data base or website out there dedicated out there to this? (serious question)

From a buddy that has followed Manning for his entire career:

Pros:
Amazing at player development, especially big men. He did wonders with Cole Aldrich, Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kahn, Morris Twins, Thomas Robinson, Jeff Withey, etc at KU.
Players coach. Great at relationship. Laid back style. Not easily rattled.
Proven Winner as a player and coach
He coaches because he loves the game, not because he needs the money
Comes from a coaching family (his father Ed coached as a career in HS and College)
Great pedigree--Bill Self and Larry Brown Coaching Tree, plus was one of the greatest college basketball big men ever
North Carolina native
Cons:
Unproven at recruiting
Unproven at in-game tactical execution (X's and O's)
Very introverted personality (but this could be good because he keeps a calm demeanor during crunch time).

For the last several years, Rivals tracks who the lead recruiter is. Apart from that, you just have to Google and hopefully find an article that talks about the kid's recruitment and/or commitment. Articles like this and this are also helpful.

Wake paid its football coach a bunch of money to stay. WAKE FOREST PAID A FOOTBALL COACH A BUNCH OF MONEY. Salary potential is fine here.

Potential, sure, but at the time historically what were coaches paid. You pointed out GDO performed at a 4th or 5th place ACC level, was he the 4th or 5th highest paid coach?

Potential, sure, but at the time historically what were coaches paid. You pointed out GDO performed at a 4th or 5th place ACC level, was he the 4th or 5th highest paid coach?

No idea... probably. He was one of three coaches that had the same job during his 12 years here and I'm sure got raises at every new contract.. while most schools had new guys coming in.

Wake was pretty cheap with coaches salaries until the last 10 years or so.

No idea... probably. He was one of three coaches that had the same job during his 12 years here and I'm sure got raises at every new contract.. while most schools had new guys coming in.

Most coaches don't want to have to have both Duke and UNC having a down year, and make a run to a FF to get paid (the basketball equivalent of Grobe '06)

Did Skip not get paid after Pitt came calling? Honestly I don't remember. He hadn't done much in the post season.

Back