• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europe Travel Assistance

I got flights and hotels booked for a London/Paris trip in October of this year. I've never been to either city, so now that we've got the big logistics taken care of it's time to fill in the rest of the details!

We really enjoyed this self guided walking tour
Break this self guided tour up into two days, so a guided tour of one or two of the stops each day.

Tell me about the Amalfi coast. Now zeroing in on that for anniversary trip last week of September/1st week of October. Seems like a good time to go from what I've ready with (most) things still open, but much fewer people.

Thinking of flying into Rome, spending 2 nights there, 5 nights at two different Amalfi cities, and then flying out of Naples. Big question is which two towns to stay in - Positano, Amalfi, and Sorrento are obvious options, but there are so many cool looking other towns - Praiano and Ravello in particular caught my eye. Any strong, reasonably priced boutique (I assume everything is pretty boutique) hotel recs?

Next big question is how to get there - train from Rome to Naples and ferry from Naples seems like the easiest/least stressful option. Have heard horror stories about the Amalfi road, and my wife doesn't typically do well with windy/cliffy roads anyways.

Thx, Pit travel experts.

I get it that you want to go to Positano, Amalfi, or Sorrento, but man those places are jampacked with tourists. We've taken the ferry over to Capri a couple of times and stayed in Ana Capri before. Not quite as busy at the top of the mountain.

I think we want to stay in one bigger/more touristy town and one smaller, more quaint town. So Positano - Ravello/Praiano could make sense.

I'd imagine if we can time it where we're in Positano mid-week in October, it should be pretty chill?

feels like we're coming to a reckoning for travel as international travel becoming more and more accessible to more and more people (good!) but it's made more locations absolutely unvisitable due to crowds

dubrovnik when the cruise ships were in port was just awful -- most egregious example of this that I've encountered, though the selfie brigade at Plitvice was pretty terrible too

not sure there are easy answers -- and the it's even more challenging when you also weigh any ecological or historical preservation of places

Tell me about the Amalfi coast. Now zeroing in on that for anniversary trip last week of September/1st week of October. Seems like a good time to go from what I've ready with (most) things still open, but much fewer people.

Thinking of flying into Rome, spending 2 nights there, 5 nights at two different Amalfi cities, and then flying out of Naples. Big question is which two towns to stay in - Positano, Amalfi, and Sorrento are obvious options, but there are so many cool looking other towns - Praiano and Ravello in particular caught my eye. Any strong, reasonably priced boutique (I assume everything is pretty boutique) hotel recs?

Next big question is how to get there - train from Rome to Naples and ferry from Naples seems like the easiest/least stressful option. Have heard horror stories about the Amalfi road, and my wife doesn't typically do well with windy/cliffy roads anyways.

Thx, Pit travel experts.
If you need a boutique-y place to stay in Rome, we really liked this hotel last summer (great breakfast spread): Dharma Boutique Hotel

feels like we're coming to a reckoning for travel as international travel becoming more and more accessible to more and more people (good!) but it's made more locations absolutely unvisitable due to crowds

dubrovnik when the cruise ships were in port was just awful -- most egregious example of this that I've encountered, though the selfie brigade at Plitvice was pretty terrible too

not sure there are easy answers -- and the it's even more challenging when you also weigh any ecological or historical preservation of places
Yeah, this has pained me as well. Though, we were in Santorini with like 4 large cruise ships, and still had a blast. Woke up early, spent most of our time walking the island and avoided the few corridors that were swamped with tourists taking the instagram shots. However, we were back on our small boat by mid-afternoon, and the line to take the gondola from the cruise tender dock up to the caldera was apparently over 2 hours at that point. Can only imagine how overrun Oia was closer to the famous sunsets.

The Acropolis on a summer weekend day in Athens was a mob scene, but at least they required tickets and staggered times.

Obviously we can revoke passports for the poor

Booked 3 nights in Ravello (Fri-Sun) and 3 Nights in Positano (Mon-Wed) 1st/2nd week in October. Hoping that will work well to avoid crowds, but I’m sure there will still be some. We didn’t go super cheap but feel pretty good about the value given how crazy expensive the Amalfi Coast can apparently be. Paying $2K+ a night for a hotel room is bonkers.

Back