• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Everyone just watch the Miami game.....

As for Larranega, yes he is a darn good coach. His George Mason teams were solid and historically competitive. Before that, he was an assistant at UVA when Odom was there under Holland (that was quite the coaching staff). And he was a nice hire at Miami, where he went back to his alma mater to finish his last 5-6 years of his career. If we're honest with ourselves, we Wake fans didn't want him at Wake either 4 years ago. And I still think he wouldn't have been a great hire at his age. Unlike football, we are or should be a destination school in hoops, not a stepping stone school. And when we hire someone, it should be with the idea that they'll be around for the long haul, unless they die young or do so well that a Kansas or Kentucky pries them away. So while I agree he's a good coach, this was more of a special circumstances hire for Miami - let's give the old alum a chance to finish out his last few years.

Huh? Larranaga had no affiliation with Miami before being hired... definitely not an alum.

Larranega didn't want to leave George Mason when our job was open. He was close to the GMU AD and President, who both retired shortly thereafter, prompting him to start looking. Plus, who wouldn't want their last stop before retirement to be in Miami?

Huh? Larranaga had no affiliation with Miami before being hired... definitely not an alum.

You're right, my bad. My memory gets sketchier the older I get.

Point still stands that we're more of a destination school for hoops than Miami is, and I would not expect a competent AD at Wake to hire an otherwise good coach who is going to retire in 4-5 years. But I fully expect Wellman to either extend Buzzdick or bring in an uninspiring at best hire.

Larranaga has family from Miami (his grandfather emigrated from Cuba to Miami). With that said, Larranaga wanted to coach in the ACC before he retired. So, WF had a shot at him if they offered.

Oh, by the way, Miami is higher in KenPom than us (the U at 74, WF at 87) after losing their entire starting lineup last year. They are better in Year 1 of a complete rebuild than us in Year 4 of the [Redacted] Error. Thanks, Ron. Thanks, Jeff.

Back