• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Everyone just watch the Miami game.....

Jimmy Larranaga is a boss. Impressed with this Canes team. They play hard and physical.

Jimmy Larranaga is a boss. Impressed with this Canes team. They play hard and physical.

It's crazy that their star - their best scorer and passer, in addition to their second best rebounder - is Rion Brown and they're going to beat UNC. Rion freakin' Brown.

WHAT?! That's not a travel. 2 steps.

It's crazy that their star - their best scorer and passer, in addition to their second best rebounder - is Rion Brown and they're going to beat UNC. Rion freakin' Brown.

Coaching. Hands down the most important aspect of college sports.

So let me get this straight. Wellman could have hired a Final Four coach and he hired a career loser.

Rion Brown was a 5 star recruit I believe

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Rion Brown was a 5 star recruit I believe

He was CMM-caliber, IIRC. Top-75 RSCI at best. He also had a pretty pitiful career at Miami up to this year, despite a ton of hype (he was considered a fringe draft prospect going into last year, IIRC). He's been a revelation this year.

He was CMM-caliber, IIRC. Top-75 RSCI at best. He also had a pretty pitiful career at Miami up to this year, despite a ton of hype (he was considered a fringe draft prospect going into last year, IIRC). He's been a revelation this year.

Yeah, don't know where I saw that 5 star rating, thought I remembered it from drafting the fantasy acc league last season. He was a top 75, fringe top 50.

Laranaga is a coach. Look at the home run passes to break the press ,etc. he is Carl Tacy with a personality .

Laranaga is just not historically competitive enough for Ronnie Wellman....

Laranaga is just not historically competitive enough for Ronnie Wellman....

To be fair, Miami's current level of competitiveness is not aligned with their history.

I'm kind of surprised by how awful McAdoo has turned out to be. He was a really good high school player, but damn if the last two years have revealed that he's just not good.

I've been saying this for a while. The kid thought he was a 1 and done when he started at UNC. And although he is pretty athletic for a man his size, he's soft, doesn't play well with his back to the basket and just isn't as consistent a scorer as everyone thought he'd be. This is why he hasn't turned pro - the Association just ain't that interested.

UNC must be maddening to watch for their fans this year. They have 3 great wins where they really did play well. But watch them at other times, and they're just not that good. This Miami team is raw with 5 new starters. Five. And you look pathetic losing to them at home. UNC crushed us on the boards (nice comment at halftime Buzzdick), but shot horribly, were loose with the ball and were disjointed defensively, especially in transition. We got a lot of easy transition buckets against them. This UNC team is shooting challenged, with Paige and McDonald being their only decent shooters. They just can't get away with being sloppy with the ball offensively and not getting back on D and playing good D for 35 seconds if they expect to win a lot of games. Those are 2 really bad losses for them, and last night does diminish what we did Sunday and put what was really a poorly played game by 2 teams in better perspective.

He was not good enough for us.

As for Larranega, yes he is a darn good coach. His George Mason teams were solid and historically competitive. Before that, he was an assistant at UVA when Odom was there under Holland (that was quite the coaching staff). And he was a nice hire at Miami, where he went back to his alma mater to finish his last 5-6 years of his career. If we're honest with ourselves, we Wake fans didn't want him at Wake either 4 years ago. And I still think he wouldn't have been a great hire at his age. Unlike football, we are or should be a destination school in hoops, not a stepping stone school. And when we hire someone, it should be with the idea that they'll be around for the long haul, unless they die young or do so well that a Kansas or Kentucky pries them away. So while I agree he's a good coach, this was more of a special circumstances hire for Miami - let's give the old alum a chance to finish out his last few years.

Back