• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

i feel like the goal should be to have a truck full of shoes not be at risk if left open

i feel like the goal should be to have a truck full of shoes not be at risk if left open
I fully invite you to leave the bank vault open and unguarded in magical fairytale land, but here in the real world we shouldnt be entrapping children with ice cream or shoes, or whatever else we know they want.

While this shoe scenario seems racist and fucked up, I'm all for entrapping bike thieves. Fuck those guys.

I fully invite you to leave the bank vault open and unguarded in magical fairytale land, but here in the real world we shouldnt be entrapping children with ice cream or shoes, or whatever else we know they want.

i would imagine the goal would be to not need bank vaults, either. weird how you feel human nature is intractable in some cases and irrelevant in others

One story I read about the bait truck said that a bait truck in LA got robbed off the surveillance equipment.

If crimes are so prevalent, cops shouldn’t have to use bait trucks. It’s as if they’re too lazy to solve real crimes in which real people get robbed that they have to make up fake ones that are easier to solve.

There was a This American Life about bait cars a few years ago.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/394/bait-and-switch

So, for example, a bait bike might be left in a location where bike theft has been common recently, with the intention of catching serial offenders. The bait devices are typically outfitted with surveillance and tracking equipment so that police stationed nearby can quickly nab the people who take them.

*shrug*

In the Chicago instance, the rationale was that the bait truck was to catch thieves who frequently steal from railroad shipments, yet they parked these trucks near parks over a mile away from the stockyards.

Well there was obviously a built up shoe theft problem just waiting to explode.

man, sometimes you guys are so eager to argue that you don't even pay attention to what is being said

plama is making a joke about bikes, bro .

Just spitballing here, but it may be that it’s actually hard to solve property crimes, particularly considering the resources devoted to solving crimes against persons, like murder and stuff.

You realize I wrote that in response to a story about cops using resources to make up a crime scene instead of solving crimes against persons, like murder and stuff. Your logic doesn't hold. Try again.

LA Times made a choose your own adventure:

You’ve been arrested by a dishonest cop. Can you win in a system set up to protect officers?

I was acquitted after spending 130 days in jail and losing my job.

I went through again to see what happens if you just plead guilty from the start. 90 days in jail and a $500 fine.

I tried to find evidence that the cop was lying. Found a witness who convinced the jury the cop was lying. I was acquitted. Spent 166 days in jail, lost my job, lost my car, and the cop is still on the job. Horray! The system works!

Georgia police use Taser on 87-year-old woman using knife to cut dandelions

A Georgia police chief said an officer was justified in using a Taser to stun an 87-year-old woman after she didn't obey commands to drop a knife in her hand.

Martha Al-Bishara was charged with criminal trespass and obstructing an officer Friday, when police held her at gunpoint before bringing her to the ground with a jolt from the electrified prongs of a stun gun.

Relatives said Al-Bishara doesn't speak English and was merely out cutting dandelions with a kitchen knife near her home in Chatsworth, about 85 miles north of Atlanta.

"An 87-year-old woman with a knife still has the ability to hurt an officer," Chatsworth Police Chief Josh Etheridge told the Daily Citizen-News of Dalton.

"There was no anger, there was no malice in this," Etheridge said. "In my opinion, it was the lowest use of force we could have used to simply stop that threat at the time."

Etheridge responded along with two other officers Friday after an employee of a local Boys and Girls Club called 911 to report a woman with a knife was walking outside and would not leave.
"She's old so she can't get around too well, but," the employee said on the 911 recording. "Looks like she's walking around looking for something, like, vegetation to cut down or something. There's a bag, too."

Who calls the cops on a old lady cutting plants?

Back