• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Navy vet killed by campus police had concealed gun permit

Washington, 45, who is black, was shot to death by campus police outside a bar in downtown Portland late Friday. The Portland Police Bureau is investigating the shooting.

Witness Keyaira Smith told several news outlets that Washington was trying to break up a fight and a gun holstered on his hip fell out. He went to pick it up and was shot after someone yelled, “Gun!” Smith said. She had not responded to a request for an interview from The Associated Press.

PSU students protested over the weekend over the university’s decision to arm its campus police. The university’s board of trustees voted in 2015 arm its police force over objections from students.

Yeah - like when Dana half-heartedly defend Castille but also focused on how his gun was showing.

I haven't heard much on the gun etiquette of other mass shooters from the NRA.

Police officer investigated after pointing gun at young children on video

The officer can then be seen drawing his gun and pointing it at some of the boys, who recoil, before the cop quickly re-holsters his service weapon.

His partner then drags the kid into the street and the first officer whips out his baton and begins screaming for the onlookers to "get back," before eventually pushing a woman and getting into a heated verbal argument with her.

The person filming the confrontation can be heard saying, "We're going to put a report on these two fools. It's all good." The officer then comes after the man filming the incident and can be seen arresting him as well.

We've gotten completely used to scenes of police harassing and even killing American children. If ICE decides to start killing immigrant children, there will be no outrage from the right.

We've gotten completely used to scenes of police harassing and even killing American children. If ICE decides to start killing immigrant children, there will be no outrage from the right.

The level of state-sponsored dehumanization and cruelty that the right and center left has been and is able to tolerate is truly mind blowing in hindsight.

These are the folks telling the oppressed to be pragmatic, that all lives matter, and that they don’t see racial and ethnic difference. This is the outcome of that awful, disgusting ideology.

Innocent Georgians jailed over false positives from drug field test kits

"We thought we were watching a movie," remembered Simon. "We knew that this is folic acid. A common vitamin."

The couple wound up in the DeKalb County jail for two weeks until their public defender could convince a judge to release them on a signature bond.

"I kept crying all the time," Clarice admitted.

"We've never been in jail in our life," said Simon. "And being there was like a different world to me."

By the time they got out, the damage had been done. Clarice's employer fired her for not showing up to work. Simon missed his swearing-in ceremony to become an American citizen. Five months later, the GBI Crime lab released its own findings on those white tablets: negative for controlled substances

As for Simon and Clarice, you might think life is back to normal now. But even dismissed charges will haunt you. When we ran a background check on Clarice, we found her arrest on drug trafficking charges.

She says no fulltime employer will hire her now. All because of a bag of vitamins, and a test some cops clearly trust way too much.

^

That’s terrible. For you lawyers, if you can reasonably speculate, would they have a fair chance of successfully suing either the police department or field drug test maker?

Also can the arrest be removed from their record so they can pass a background check?

According to the police video, the Doraville officer also believed he smelled a "little odor of marijuana." Simon and Clarice told us they do not smoke marijuana. None was found.

Yep, I think cops do this all the damn time—claim they smell something funny (alcohol, whatever)—and someone “looks” glassy eyed, etc. then they can search you or your vehicle or ask you to take a field breath test or something.

That’s fine if they’re honest but it’s too easy to just make up that shit and go on a fishing expedition that ends up hurting innocent people.

I got around to listening the the More Perfect podcast episode about the legal theory behind "reasonable force" and it's pretty nuts. it makes police almost invincible from suits (which seems obvious already) but hearing the legal theory behind it was instructive.

In 2014, after Mike Brown was killed, the St. Louis prosecutor Bob McCulloch staged a drawn-out grand jury process in an attempt to absolve himself of any guilt when Darren Wilson was not charged. He tanked the grand jury and then announced his decision after 8pm to incite riots.

Yesterday St. Louis voted him out.

In August of 2014, days before the shooting, McCulloch won the Dem primary with 84,000 votes.
His vote total didn't go down that much, he got 79,000 votes in the primary yesterday. His challenger got 103,000 votes.

Prosecutor who led probe of Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson loses primary

38804479_10211819600143348_2249491397612666880_n.jpg

CPD reviewing policies after taser used on 11-year-old girl

The 11-year-old was taken to Children's Hospital after the event and was released to one of her parents.

Police said the responding officer attempted to turn on his body camera, but it did not turn on initially. There is bodycam video from after the incident. Police did not know or have a copy of surveillance video from inside Kroger.

PH, this issue is one of a few that really pushed me to looking at the problem of mass incarceration and the intersection of Democratic policies and capitalism. People think this system can be reformed. Its my personal opinion that there is overwhelming evidence that we CANT reform this system. I raise this only that it might clarify where some of my political shift came from. 30% of CA's firefighters are incarcerated women that put their lives at risk to make a dollar an hour, become elite firefighters, and then are not allowed to take jobs in firefighting on release. Juveniles doing the same thing is only more egregious. Some asshole in LA basically said the quiet part out loud that they can't release the good ones because they are good laborers. It's nuts.

^

Thx for the response, Junebug.

The case seems to scream for some sort of redress.

Last edited:
Back