• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

what is the correct police officer response at this juncture:

First, the cop may be trying to save his ass. His take isn’t reliable unless non-cops corroborate it at best.

Second, why is a dead hit and run suspect a better outcome than a live hit and run suspect? I really don’t understand that.

if a trained cop can't take down an unarmed naked guy, why are we paying him/her

Cops may have training in hand to hand combat, but it's not like they're impenetrable fortresses or clones of Jean Claude Van Damme.

giphy.gif

The cop had 10 years with the force and the guy he show was 24 years old, so probably ten years younger than he is, and also I would guess, completely fucked up on bath salts or something after hitting two cars on the interstate, emerging from his car naked, charging an armed police officer, not even noticing he just got tased. Sorry you died, but it's really your fault.

First, the cop may be trying to save his ass. His take isn’t reliable unless non-cops corroborate it at best.

obviously we don't have complete data at this point; however from the article you linked:

So far, the eyewitness accounts we’ve heard have been consistent: our officer tried using verbal commands, then used non-lethal force first by deploying his Taser before using his service weapon

Second, why is a dead hit and run suspect a better outcome than a live hit and run suspect? I really don’t understand that.

who is saying otherwise? I don't understand how you could draw the conclusion that anyone thinks this is the case

obviously we don't have complete data at this point; however from the article you linked:

who is saying otherwise? I don't understand how you could draw the conclusion that anyone thinks this is the case

You are explaining why a dead suspect is better than a live suspect. The idea that there’s nothing else he could have done is exactly that.

You are explaining why a dead suspect is better than a live suspect. The idea that there’s nothing else he could have done is exactly that.

your reading comprehension level is an embarrassment

what's your argument again? that the best course of action for a police officer in the US is to kill an unarmed naked person?

what's your argument again? that the best course of action for a police officer in the US is to kill an unarmed naked person?

no

the best course of action is to talk to the suspect

then to use non-lethal force

there seem to be witnesses stating that this is what the officer did

are you, Ph, and 923 suggesting that the best course of action upon being confronted by a police officer is to charge directly towards him?

my overall take on law enforcement killings, which I have expressed several times on this thread, is that they are largely a function of the extreme overabundance of firearms in American society. Officers are correct to fear that anybody they encounter might have a gun, and they are trained to shoot first and figure out if their fear is justified later. The law protects them when they do this. The "thin blue line" mentality of never snitching on bad cops and defending even the worst abuses of bad officers is a major contributor, too. Nonetheless, I do have sympathy for cops who our society requires to police a heavily armed population with crappy mental health care. Often they are put in impossible situations.

In this particular case, however, the "I thought he had a gun" excuse doesn't fly. An officer confronted with a obviously unarmed person should be expected to find a way to resolve the situation without deadly force. That might mean retreating (i.e. running away). There's nothing wrong with "observe and report" when you're dealing with a crazy naked guy. I think it is very legitimate to expect officers to find a way to preserve life in these situations instead of resorting to deadly force. I'm just very, very skeptical that there was nothing this officer could do other than shoot the guy.

It's authoritarianism. Cops are allowed to kill people who don't comply with their orders. They are allowed to do that because of an authoritarian society that reduces every criminal encounter to this:
Lesson to criminals (and everyone else): Don't charge cops.
It's not "Protect & Serve" it's "Comply or Die", and for some minorities its comply AND die. Cops are legally allowed to kill leashed dogs for barking, what else do you need to know?

no

the best course of action is to talk to the suspect

then to use non-lethal force

there seem to be witnesses stating that this is what the officer did

are you, Ph, and 923 suggesting that the best course of action upon being confronted by a police officer is to charge directly towards him?

If an unarmed naked guy charges a cop, there are many things a cop can other than shoot. That cop's life is not in danger. Hell, the cop could step to the side and hit the guy with a night stick...

Back