• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

My wife asked me this morning when we were going to have a serious conversation in the country about police. I told her that there's plenty of people who have been trying to have that discussion for decades and continue to speak into the void, but there are too many people who hold the structural power who refuse to do so. So if the volume isn't going to change who hears it, you may as well scream to make your point IMO.

Well said. I think we're finally moving beyond what black people can do to not be brutalized or how black people should protest to when are white people going to step up. And we're seeing some white people step up. Will it be enough to overcome centuries of institutional racism? I don't know.

Yeah I just don’t know what the answer is or if it’s even enough. I also don’t know what I can do on a personal level other than be an ally and amplify other voices around me who directly experience injustice so that their voices are heard.

Nobody wants or needs to hear from white dudes on this topic. We’ve had our shot for four hundred years in this country regarding race relations. It’s well past time to pass the baton to those who we’ve marginalized to speak and lead and not in a way that includes passing the blame either.

Yeah I just don’t know what the answer is or if it’s even enough. I also don’t know what I can do on a personal level other than be an ally and amplify other voices around me who directly experience injustice so that their voices are heard.

Nobody wants or needs to hear from white dudes on this topic. We’ve had our shot for four hundred years in this country regarding race relations. It’s well past time to pass the baton to those who we’ve marginalized to speak and lead and not in a way that includes passing the blame either.

Some ideas:
Do court watch. Donate to bail funds. Donate to black led grassroots organizations, not big non-profits. Go to city council meetings and figure out how much of your city budget goes to policing. Do FOIA requests. Teach local organizations how to do FOIA requests. Learn de-escalation tactics.

Non-white people have been fighting this for over centuries. We don’t know the answers. We can’t make white guys not be shitty. It is on you.

An impromptu protest in DC is across the street from the White House. Started with a few dozen people and now it’s thousands.

White House on lockdown.

Last edited:
Non-white people have been fighting this for over centuries. We don’t know the answers. We can’t make white guys not be shitty. It is on you.

Right. It's not right to displace the labor of fighting for racial equality solely to PoC. The "pass the baton" mentality cuts close to "post-race" inaction sometimes.

Pledging to listen doesn't mean the destruction of your subjecthood over another, but rather just the promise that you'll be more open to subjugated viewpoints and knowledges. It's time for lot of people to listen more, for sure, but it's also time for a lot of people who were silent to speak up too.

Sara Ahmed's book on institutional racism and diversity is just an absolute must-read on this

Protest in San Jose tonight. In MN, they are walking up the freeway.

I disagree with the direction of the conversation, as it speeds towards pointless racial division for the purposes of self-flaggelatory political correctness. It helps no one to erase the work that white people are doing, and have done, towards social justice and racial equality. Attack the power structures of our society, not the color of people's skin

I disagree with the direction of the conversation, as it speeds towards pointless racial division for the purposes of self-flaggelatory political correctness. It helps no one to erase the work that white people are doing, and have done, towards social justice and racial equality. Attack the power structures of our society, not the color of people's skin

What?

Well she’ll be out of a job by Monday.

Huh? That wasn't my point and I don't think it was Ph's point at all.

I said white people should not displace the labor onto people of color, not that white people haven't been responsible for contributing to racial equality.

An impromptu protest in DC is across the street from the White House. Started with a few dozen people and now it’s thousands.

White House on lockdown.

Interesting; the planned one near 14th and U is not close to the White House, wonder if that’s where it was supposed to go. An organization I work with here was collecting some supplies; we donated some stuff.

Interesting; the planned one near 14th and U is not close to the White House, wonder if that’s where it was supposed to go. An organization I work with here was collecting some supplies; we donated some stuff.

They marched from 14th and U to the WH. Now heading to the Capitol.

Back