• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Sadly you're not too far off. Our most educated generally choose to work for fucking hedge funds. Civil service is not rewarded, which is why this nation is headed on a sharp decline.

No, no, no.

Lower taxes will solve all this!

Cops are fighting a war against the people they are supposed to protect and serve.

Sadly you're not too far off. Our most educated generally choose to work for fucking hedge funds. Civil service is not rewarded, which is why this nation is headed on a sharp decline.

This is correct. Our best and brightest go into our bloated finance sector, not civil service or engineering or even medicine at the rate they used to

Sounds like the federal government

i mean, sort of agree, except instead of high school flunkies it's actually academically successful people who either want to serve the public or do a grift, and know they effectively have tenure and a pension in many cases

never mind we'll just return everyone to office since there's no point in changing?

look, i'm not saying that this is all we should do, but I guarantee you that a House made up of 435 freshmen/women would do a lot more than the idiots there now. Vote every single incumbent out. THEN we could get term limits, and let computers simply and sensibly draw ungerrymandered congressional districts that will allow everyone to be fairly represented. Those are systemic changes that will help correct problems over the long term. Shorter term solutions need to happen too.

Not every post and comment is going to have the answer to societies problems. Just because I have criticism for your idea doesn't mean that I think the situation is hopeless, or that your idea is without merit. What I'm trying, clumsily to get across is that there are inherent flaws in an American electoral system that was founded in and of genocide, slavery, indentured servitude, sexism, and ethnic segregation.

This is correct. Our best and brightest go into our bloated finance sector, not civil service or engineering or even medicine at the rate they used to

When one our our 2 major parties demonizes the civil service at every chance, who can blame folks for not going into it

Someone might win a Pulitzer if he/she drew a political cartoon showing Trump with his knee on the throat of Uncle Sam with a helicopter over him.

Good post. But we can do the former without the latter. It's not even that hard to imagine that.

Not sure entirely what this means, but my thought is we should drastically reduce the number of street cops there are and divert those resources into social services. Cops shouldn't have to play psychologist, social worker, detective and do the job that traffic cameras do. And they definitely aren't keeping the peace in this setting.

Someone might win a Pulitzer if he/she drew a political cartoon showing Trump with his knee on the throat of Uncle Sam with a helicopter over him.

fucking goldfish brain

again its not a few teenagers. Its thousands.
Yeah, that's the point. Protestors far outnumber the police, and they aren't submitting without the threat of violence. So law enforcement is either going to have to go to war with them, or submit to them. People who call for order at any cost really need to examine what the cost is, because it's a hell of a lot more than 5 leg shots.

fucking goldfish brain

What total hypocrite you are!

You attacked me, insulted everything about me for years. But when you made a gesture to be more civil, I immediately accepted and welcomed your apology.

However, when I went too far towards someone else, not you, and apologized publicly multiple times, you went nuclear and have gone back to personal insults.

You wanted to be forgiven (and were) for your own outrageous behavior, but refuse to give the same opportunity to others.

This is the OED definition of being a hypocrite.

Back