• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

At least 90% of these "For no reason they started tear gassing" are at night and past curfew after the crowds have been told to go home numerous times. The main exception is the stunt the president pulled. Once it's past curfew and you're still out there, most things are fair game outside of the Atlanta incident, in which people got fired.

If he just would have complied and followed orders...

This is correct. Our best and brightest go into our bloated finance sector, not civil service or engineering or even medicine at the rate they used to

Basic outcome of wealth inequality. The more wealth is concentrated at the top, the more people have to go to them to survive.

When you have thousands of protestors, who in sync lay on the ground with their hands behind their back at the mark of curfew, it's fucking stupid to admonish them for breaking curfew, when that was the whole point.

and Palma, if you haven't seen the video of the prone protestors being teargassed, it's should be pretty easy for you to find, since there are only 15-20 videos to search through.

Curfews are a rhetoric of order dressed up as the law.

or maybe the exception dressed up as the law - take your pick

that came out more snarky than I intended, it was just a joke

it would def require the national guard to keep my 4yr old in her room against her will

Seems to me the smart move if you're "in charge" would be to acknowledge the right and rightfulness of demonstrating/protesting. JOIN in, actually. Whilst imploring folks to keep it peaceful and non-violent. And talk and lot about what can be done to address the legitimate concerns of those protesting. And take concrete steps towards those ends as quickly as possible. And figure out ways to incorporate protest leaders in further efforts to implement change.

Not sure entirely what this means, but my thought is we should drastically reduce the number of street cops there are and divert those resources into social services. Cops shouldn't have to play psychologist, social worker, detective and do the job that traffic cameras do. And they definitely aren't keeping the peace in this setting.

One of those rare moments Townie is right.

Back