• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Perhaps the most absurd part of Cotton's argument is that the US military can just deter people from acting against it with a show of force. The US lost in Vietnam and Afghanistan and it's hard to call Iraq a win. The US military is actually quite bad at quelling rebellions among populations that have nothing to lose and are willing to fight for their cause. They just kill people and encourage more people rise up. And that's what US policies have created in this country, people who are desperate for change and will fight for it.

I do wonder if people like Cotton think that their enemy this time is mostly unarmed.

I appreciate Palma laying out his feelings, but the "we don't like loud people" take was pretty brutal. Our current president got elected by being a loud, pugnacious bully.

Now do older white folk feel uncomfortable when minorities speak loudly? Yes. Which is a vestige of the segregation and slavery, and something that we no longer should tolerate. Its textbook white supremacy.

Loud Funny or Loud Leader guy are exceptions. You have to stand out if you're President. Who's the most disliked player in the NBA? Draymond Green. Who talks the most in the NBA? Draymond Green.

Current ranking of "most liked NBA players" The top filled with the quietest guys in the league.

https://www.ranker.com/list/most-likable-current-nba-players/ranker-nba

Perhaps the most absurd part of Cotton's argument is that the US military can just deter people from acting against it with a show of force. The US lost in Vietnam and Afghanistan and it's hard to call Iraq a win. The US military is actually quite bad at quelling rebellions among populations that have nothing to lose and are willing to fight for their cause. They just kill people and encourage more people rise up. And that's what US policies have created in this country, people who are desperate for change and will fight for it.

not repurposing the successful federal intervention to enforce desegregation as an arg for the deployment of natl guard troops against protestors?

that turn was bonkers

plama just wanna check that you meant to cite a list that puts tacko fall as the #1 most liked player in the NBA

Plama exploring some of the underlying causes for why people feel uncomfortable around people of different ethnicities and backgrounds is a useful exercise. I was up at 3am today mulling over exactly that - whether I would feel differently watching a group of black or white teenagers walking towards me, and WHY I would feel differently. Simply telling ourselves "what to do" in that situation so that we don't come off as racist is different from understanding why we feel a certain way, and acting to explore and change that feeling permanently.

I just think it's stereotypes and the perception that when you see black teenagers together, the first thought is that they are from the ghetto come to mind, and because we might think they are from the ghetto or bad neighborhood we think violence and crime. It's the same as white people passing through the "bad neighborhood" and locking their doors. They feel threatened and nervous because of high crime rates in black neighborhoods.

To me it's how one carries themselves. I've passed many young black men/teenagers and thought nothing of them. I've also passed by people that made me think twice about them because of how they carried themselves.

I've stereotyped blacks and whites. I would be lying if I didn't admit that. I've been some places where I see a young white dude with a black trench coat on that's made me pay more attention to him because of all the mass shootings. I've also been places where I've passed young black dudes and felt uneasy because of the way they carried themselves (loud, sagging pants, grabbing their dick, using bad language).

everyone hates groups of loud people that they're not participating in. they're all awful.

loud white people, loud latin people, loud black people, loud men, loud women, loud dogs, loud birds

the only enjoyable loud natural things are group of loud young kids playing and ocean waves

Y’all act like you’ve never sat in front of white women at a baseball game.

everyone hates groups of loud people that they're not participating in. they're all awful.

loud white people, loud latin people, loud black people, loud men, loud women, loud dogs, loud birds

the only enjoyable loud natural things are group of loud young kids playing and ocean waves

Or, in certain circumstances, people having sex.

The rest of your post I agree with, but Dems already won this election by a landslide. Enough people are worried Trump will start WW3, and he only won by a tenth of a percent the first time.

Agreed. I'm a conservative (didn't vote for Trump) and I'm ready for something different.

Have you even been to a Nickelback concert, bro?

yes people generally don't like loud things

it's when loudness gets mapped onto a certain group or an individual more often than others for no real reason that we might have an unfair stereotype on our hands

and then some people take those stereotypes and use them without thinking

sometimes those people have state violence to support them and that's how stereotypes get used as reasonable cause to do harm or kill

we should probably be thinking more about the last three sentences above and less about the first one, imo.

This is a joke, right? Everybody who doesn’t understand why Kaep and others kneeled isn’t all of a sudden going to get it if they haven’t gotten it now. Anybody who thinks a flag is more important than people doesn’t have an open mind.

Was just trying to say that it's easier to get someone who's at 85% to 98% than it is to get someone who's at 10% to 50%. And lo and behold Brees has apologized.

Was just trying to say that it's easier to get someone who's at 85% to 98% than it is to get someone who's at 10% to 50%. And lo and behold Brees has apologized.

Brees realized that he lost the locker room and apologized in a desperate attempt to get it back.

I think the Cottons and Trumps of the world think that if they massacre protesters in a few big cities on one night that they'll end the protesters. I don't think they account for international outcry and that uprisings would take place in other cities and towns as well and all of a sudden they've provoked a prolonged guerilla civil war on hundreds of fronts.

So basically the same mistakes our military makes overseas.

I agree. He realized that there are real consequences to being wrong.

And I'll stick my neck out again and say that Kaep's protest is one that people have real reasons to be offended by, which is, to me, one basis of a protest. People should have been able to take a look at what his reasons for the protest were and be able to realize that what he was protesting was worse than an effrontery to the flag and anthem, but they couldn't. This nation has a fetish for the flag and anthem that others do not.

I'd guess that Brees was trying to bosides the argument and now he just looks like he was pandering to the base of Saints fans.

Now, let's cancel Sage Steele.

Or, in certain circumstances, people having sex.

Not if you're a fundamentalist. They only do it quietly and shamefully within the confines of a church-sanctioned marriage, and then just for procreation. Or so they say.

I think the Cottons and Trumps of the world think that if they massacre protesters in a few big cities on one night that they'll end the protesters. I don't think they account for international outcry and that uprisings would take place in other cities and towns as well and all of a sudden they've provoked a prolonged guerilla civil war on hundreds of fronts.

So basically the same mistakes our military makes overseas.

JFC this is a horrible false equivalence, don't give the right-wingers any more crazy fuel.

Back