• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Seriously. Care to compare the dangers of policing versus commercial fisherman or roofer ?

For some reason this conjured up an image of Marky Mark unloading a clip on the giant wave in A Perfect Storm and now I’ve got the church giggles. Thanks Biff.

Dregs of society? Sometimes I guess. Looking at everyone you come in contact with in a negative light becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I like that that guy calls them neighbors instead. I also think a cop should live in the area they work. Driving in from out of town and having limited connection to the community the patrol is also a bad idea.

Good point. However, the perceived way of preventing death in those other jobs is to wear helmets, use safety harnesses, etc. The perceived way of preventing death as a police officer is to shoot the armed person before they shoot you. There is probably less perceived control for the police officers.

When one of the most dangerous parts of the job is preventing people from taking their gun, I'd say cops have an element of control over their own safety that they don't want to acknowledge

Every metro area in the country is desperately under-served and underfunded for social services work, mental health counseling, family crisis counseling, ect. 2&2's statement that "we have spent all this money and it hasn't done anything" is so fucking stupid and ignorant. Talk to 1 social worker about their caseload, fucking 1. Talk to a public defender about their caseload! Holy shit. It's astounding that people can be so detached from reality.

This.

The idea of showing up to work everyday not knowing what if you are going to make it home alive must be taxing. Even the most initially empathetic person has to change over time and become cynical. It's not something I would ever want to do. I fail to see how defunding police departments in itself will solve the problem of police brutality. The idea that now the cops will be told yeah your job is tough, possible deadly, dealing with society's dregs each day but now we are going to fire your coworkers or cutting back your arsenal without further changes such as better gun control is just dumb. I haven't heard any recent talk of that. Seems like it would be better to address the cause rather than the effect. With better gun control, the necessity for further escalation causing militarization leading to tanks rolling thru the streets and blackhawk helicopters in the sky would lessen.

[2&2] You're more likely to die in a car accident on your way to work.[/2&2]

It’s interesting to watch a new group of posters engage 2&2. They don’t know he is an idiot, and it takes them a while to figure it out.

When your society only understands authority through demonstrations of power, you give them demonstrations of power. Riots are dress rehearsals for revolution.

Here's a question did the pandemic play a positive role in the protests over the past ten days? Due to the millions of people who are out of work or on shorter schedules, have the size and breadth of demonstrations across the country?

Yes, the number of police killings and the graphic nature of seeing Floyd murdered would have provoked huge responses around the country. However, I think the pent up energy and ability to participate have given many the opportunity they wouldn't have had this hapened last year.

It’s interesting to watch a new group of posters engage 2&2. They don’t know he is an idiot, and it takes them a while to figure it out.

true

threads like this are a good reminder of how much biff sucks too

Here's a question did the pandemic play a positive role in the protests over the past ten days? Due to the millions of people who are out of work or on shorter schedules, have the size and breadth of demonstrations across the country?

Yes, the number of police killings and the graphic nature of seeing Floyd murdered would have provoked huge responses around the country. However, I think the pent up energy and ability to participate have given many the opportunity they wouldn't have had this hapened last year.

well here’s an original thought

you won't get a better explanation

Yep. I mention this to my students all the time. We talk about how social change is impossible but in 2004 anti-gay marriage voters swung the election for Bush. By 2015 gay marriage was legal and now it’s just normal.

Another example is smoking laws. In my 20s in the 00s, going to a bar meant I would reek like smoke when I got home even though I don’t smoke. Smoking sections of restaurants were common. Smoking on domestic and international flights wasn’t banned until 2000.

The mere idea of someone smoking in a restaurant or plane is completely foreign now.

Back