• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

How much of the problem with police brutality stems from our problem with gun violence? I assume cops in the US go to work each day with the idea that they may be killed by gunfire since so much of our population is armed. This is very different from the rest of the developed world. It has to create anxiety and an “us vs them” mentality in many officers.

The idea of showing up to work everyday not knowing what if you are going to make it home alive must be taxing. Even the most initially empathetic person has to change over time and become cynical. It's not something I would ever want to do. I fail to see how defunding police departments in itself will solve the problem of police brutality. The idea that now the cops will be told yeah your job is tough, possible deadly, dealing with society's dregs each day but now we are going to fire your coworkers or cutting back your arsenal without further changes such as better gun control is just dumb. I haven't heard any recent talk of that. Seems like it would be better to address the cause rather than the effect. With better gun control, the necessity for further escalation causing militarization leading to tanks rolling thru the streets and blackhawk helicopters in the sky would lessen.

The idea of showing up to work everyday not knowing what if you are going to make it home alive must be taxing. Even the most initially empathetic person has to change over time and become cynical. It's not something I would ever want to do. I fail to see how defunding police departments in itself will solve the problem of police brutality. The idea that now the cops will be told yeah your job is tough, possible deadly, dealing with society's dregs each day but now we are going to fire your coworkers or cutting back your arsenal without further changes such as better gun control is just dumb. I haven't heard any recent talk of that. Seems like it would be better to address the cause rather than the effect. With better gun control, the necessity for further escalation causing militarization leading to tanks rolling thru the streets and blackhawk helicopters in the sky would lessen.

Again, it’s not even top 15 dangerous professions and police deaths are as low as they’ve ever been.

The idea is to defund them and then limit their job description and development alternatives for dealing with social issues. Not to keep asking them to do the same job with less resources.

Man, I didn't realize that George Floyd was from Raeford, NC till this morning.

The idea is to defund them and then limit their job description and development alternatives for dealing with social issues. Not to keep asking them to do the same job with less resources.

Every metro area in the country is desperately under-served and underfunded for social services work, mental health counseling, family crisis counseling, ect. 2&2's statement that "we have spent all this money and it hasn't done anything" is so fucking stupid and ignorant. Talk to 1 social worker about their caseload, fucking 1. Talk to a public defender about their caseload! Holy shit. It's astounding that people can be so detached from reality.

it would be a good time for some serious gun control legislation. If you get rid of the guns, there's a lot lower chance that random arrestee is going to pull one on you. Police can then de-escalate their behaviors.

Also, all the militarized crap that the federal government provided post-9/11 needs to get locked away until there's an actual terrorist attack. Give a police force some toys and they are going to want to use them.

i am aware that the pubs will not allow it to pass, and even if they do, trump will veto it - but still, it's time. If you want to reduce violence in our country, one good way to do it is to eliminate the tools of violence.

Police in Buffalo showed up at court to support the police thugs who pushed a 75 yo man to the ground. It's appalling the guilty cops haven't been fired. The 50+ cops who re-signed from that detail should be re-assigned to the worst duty that has the least chance for promotion in the city. It's too bad they can't be suspended without pay and demoted for actions unbecoming an officer.

Again, it’s not even top 15 dangerous professions and police deaths are as low as they’ve ever been.

Good point. However, the perceived way of preventing death in those other jobs is to wear helmets, use safety harnesses, etc. The perceived way of preventing death as a police officer is to shoot the armed person before they shoot you. There is probably less perceived control for the police officers.

Last edited:
Seriously. Care to compare the dangers of policing versus commercial fisherman or roofer ?

Back