• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/21/us/chicago-funeral-home-shooting/index.html

On Monday in Chicago, 25 people were shot, and over the weekend, 63 were shot and at least 12 people were killed.
As of July 19, the latest date for which Chicago crime data is available, murders are up 51% in 2020 compared to the same point in 2019, increasing from 275 to 414. Shooting incidents are up 47%, jumping from 1,110 at this point in 2019 to 1,637 so far this year.
Gun violence has particularly increased in the past month. In the 28 days before July 19, there were 116 murders in Chicago, nearly triple during the same period in 2019, according to Chicago Police.

Chicago already got it. Hope this doesn't escalate to more violence.

as long as the people of Chicago keep electing the usual suspects, there is no hope that anything will change

if there is a place in America that desperately needs serious change, it's Chicago, more of the same failed policies can only make things worse

On Monday in Chicago, 25 people were shot, and over the weekend, 63 were shot and at least 12 people were killed.
As of July 19, the latest date for which Chicago crime data is available, murders are up 51% in 2020 compared to the same point in 2019, increasing from 275 to 414. Shooting incidents are up 47%, jumping from 1,110 at this point in 2019 to 1,637 so far this year.
Gun violence has particularly increased in the past month. In the 28 days before July 19, there were 116 murders in Chicago, nearly triple during the same period in 2019, according to Chicago Police.

I posted this on the gun violence thread for you. Feel free to keep discussing it there. Otherwise it looks like you think killing people is going to stop people from killing people.

well, actually under certain cirumstances, yes: killing individuals who are busy killing others would prevent the deaths of the future victims of the murderers

in the larger sense though, Ph's post above is simply yet another effort at sophistry, not much different from those to which we have already been treated over 100,000 times

Sounds like center and I agree that we should reallocate resources to communities with lots of violence

People with good quality of life don’t shoot people very often

Sounds like center and I agree that we should reallocate resources to communities with lots of violence

People with good quality of life don’t shoot people very often

Waitaminute... are you trying to say poverty and crime are often linked? Well that's unpossible!

Makes me nervous with troops there. Same with Chicago, which is why I posted about there as troops will be entering the city. Stay safe folks.

Last edited:
Great statement by the Wall of Moms.
https://thewallofmoms.com/

While we started with the heart-centered and courageous goal of bringing mothers together to stand against fascism, racism, and authoritarianism, we quickly found ourselves in a problematic but predictable place - too many of our group admins were White women. Realizing that this was problematic, we reached out to Teressa Raiford & Don’t Shoot PDX, who have long been doing the work in regards to addressing systemic racism and fighting for social change. Through the relationship we have built with Don’t Shoot, we quickly realized that there is no context where White or non-Black women should be leading a group whose goal is liberation and justice for Black people.

For this reason, we are eager to announce that all White group admins have relinquished their roles. Not one of our group admins struggled with this decision, and all have chosen to stay on in powerful roles in service to the group and movement. Bev Barnum, Teressa Raiford, Demetria Hester, and Danialle James will now be the administrators of this group, so that our leadership is entirely composed of Black and Indigenous women from most-impacted communities. In this moment, we ask for you to take time to both read this post, consider what skills you have to give, think about how you can participate without seeking rank or power, and welcome our new leadership. We deeply thank you for your service and for your faith in this movement.

Well yeah, but it was never worth it. Dude I lived on Manor and paid $800/month for a studio. Could take the bus for $1, ride my bike, or call an Uber and be anywhere in central Austin in 10 mins. Also my neighborhood was rad, I miss it. Pretty sure Wakephan still lives in it.

Yeah, that's a really cool part of Austin.

Patrizi's down there is one of my favorite places to eat.

Been living on just about the same block for eight years. My studio apt. cost $650 a month back when there was a crack den and brothel on my street. Last year I moved back to a studio across the street (same mgmt company) at $1000 a month.

Butterfly bar (where patrizis is parked) is the only bar on the street that was here when i moved in.

Gun violence and crime are highly correlated with economic stability. If Donald Trump hadn’t tanked the economy by completely fucking the COVID response, maybe Chicago murders would be at 2019 levels.

Cuccinelli is a legit POS. Glad he's out of Va. Sorry he's effing everyone else now though.

Yep

That defensive equipment is a clear sign of a desire to do violence.

What a dumbass.

So, Ken, what does that make cops who show up to peaceful protests in riot gear?

That’s a sad shield. Craftsmanship is a dying art. Sad.

Back