• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

It's been 17 years since I graduated from the police academy but we were trained to look for three things before justifying a shooting: ability, opportunity, and jeopardy. Someone running away does not put you in jeopardy even if they have the ability to shoot you (possessing a gun). That is how it is supposed to work. It is basic training. I know it is stressful out there but it is part of the job. Not holding people accountable is just making it easier for people to be shitty at their job. Being a shitty cop gets people killed. It is unjustifiable.

If it's the training then can't we just like fire the cops rather than demand throwing them in jail? Both of these situations seem like you can see how they happen. So going straight to "they should be charged with murder" is a bit of a stretch in my eyes. I mean it seems rather reasonable that killing someone in the line of duty should be a relatively rare occurance, if it happens to you you know from your training you aren't going to be able to be a cop again, and in setting that expectation shouldn't it serve to reduce deaths overall? So part of the training is "if you pull the trigger and someone dies, you don't get to be a cop anymore".

I'm fine with charging the guys in the George floyd case with murder, I'm fine with blowing the entire system of no-knock warrants up that resulted in the Breonna Taylor death (impossible to judge the cops themselves here), but some of the other incidents have some nuance to them.

A cop who gets fired for killing someone just gets hired as a cop somewhere else.

Can you explain why it's a "stretch" for someone who killed someone to get charged with murder?

Any first year law school student understands negligent homicide, manslaughter, third degree murder, second degree murder and first degree murder.

I'll write you a paper at my customary rates, just like you offered ass.

You raise multiple issues that people are protesting about.

You are told from day 1 that being a police officer is not just a normal job. You have to be able to take abuse and not dish it out. You are also told that as a police officer you are accountable for your actions and are held to a higher standard.

Murder charges need to be on a case by case basis for sure. Manslaughter, various degrees of murder all depend on the jurisdiction you are in.

One would think that if a police officer got fired for hurting someone, violating rights (hell, just fired at all) that they would automatically ineligible for police work in other jurisdictions... that is not the case. My old agency did a full background check that included interviews with acquaintances, credit check, psych exam and even a polygraph test. It took forever to hire someone. Most departments cannot afford to be so thorough. They will hire cast offs and not ask the pertinent questions. Throw in the potential for lawyers to negotiate firings in some settings and boom, just getting fired isn't as big of a deterrent as one would think.

Any first year law school student understands negligent homicide, manslaughter, third degree murder, second degree murder and first degree murder.

Why are you being so aggressive?

You didn't answer my question.

Well, this would count as professional information, learned at a significant cost. And I'm not BKF.

So why are you being so aggressive?

I'd be happy to give you the information on different levels of homicide.

But you have been a prick to others, including those who don't toe the line, so no. And you, Townie and Mako have kept up this BKF charade.

So why are you being so aggressive? Just answer the question. You’ve gone from disagreeable and argumentative to unhinged. Get some sleep.

You raise multiple issues that people are protesting about.

You are told from day 1 that being a police officer is not just a normal job. You have to be able to take abuse and not dish it out. You are also told that as a police officer you are accountable for your actions and are held to a higher standard.

Murder charges need to be on a case by case basis for sure. Manslaughter, various degrees of murder all depend on the jurisdiction you are in.

One would think that if a police officer got fired for hurting someone, violating rights (hell, just fired at all) that they would automatically ineligible for police work in other jurisdictions... that is not the case. My old agency did a full background check that included interviews with acquaintances, credit check, psych exam and even a polygraph test. It took forever to hire someone. Most departments cannot afford to be so thorough. They will hire cast offs and not ask the pertinent questions. Throw in the potential for lawyers to negotiate firings in some settings and boom, just getting fired isn't as big of a deterrent as one would think.

I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a police officer in my life that gave off the impression they were trained to take abuse.

Most anyone of means teaches their kids not to talk back or “abuse” police officers. At the same point a community is going to snap. But I think reform comes from voting, not via mouthing off every time a cop stops you or asks a question.

Jurisdictional issues seem like they can be solved with computers and federal laws.

You weren't helpful, even giving a starting point. We discussed on another thread. The BKF thing has gotten old, it's pissing me off.

Who offered ass? I could be down for some ass, just as long as it's not Palma's.

I'd be happy to give you the information on different levels of homicide.

But you have been a prick to others, including those who don't toe the line, so no. And you, Townie and Mako have kept up this BKF charade.

Usual Suspects Version 2.0. Can we get airbrushed leather jackets? Can you even airbrush a leather jacket?

White vigilante with semi-auto rifle shoots protestors in Kenosha. Protestors and police follow him. Shooter trips and falls and shoots more protestors. More cops arrive as shooter tries to surrender, cops drive past him and "lose" suspect.

White vigilante with semi-auto rifle shoots protestors in Kenosha. Protestors and police follow him. Shooter trips and falls and shoots more protestors. More cops arrive as shooter tries to surrender, cops drive past him and "lose" suspect.

Get that guy a speaking slot at the RNC!

Pronto!

Seriously, the chaos is likely to fuel fears and be exploited by Trump and his enablers.

Hard to sort through all the info online but it seems two theories are abound regarding Kenosha: 1) the video all over twitter is the first encounter with the shooter and conservatives are claiming its self-defense because “look at all those people chasing and trying to beat him” and 2) this video is the second encounter and people were chasing him because he had already shot at protesters once.

Back