• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Getting rid of fines is good but that doesn’t help the violence.

About 800 people injured per day in drunk driving accidents

https://www.thezebra.com/resources/r...ng-statistics/

About 800 people per year killed by police in all situations. Ultimately what we keep coming back to is that this thing that people on this thread make out to be a big huge deal, isn't in the grand scheme of things. Which is why "lets eliminate all traffic stops" are silly when you start diving into the numbers.

You’re assuming that traffic stops prevent drunk driving and that there aren’t better ways to prevent drunk driving.

You’re assuming that traffic stops prevent drunk driving.

If everyone in the country knew that there was a zero percent chance of being stopped by police, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the liklihood of drunk driving would go up by more than 1%.

About 800 people injured per day in drunk driving accidents

https://www.thezebra.com/resources/r...ng-statistics/

About 800 people per year killed by police in all situations. Ultimately what we keep coming back to is that this thing that people on this thread make out to be a big huge deal, isn't in the grand scheme of things. Which is why "lets eliminate all traffic stops" are silly when you start diving into the numbers.

driving under the influence is illegal, and people almost always get caught and punished for it

cops killing people is state sponsored violence that requires constant citizen uproar or there'd be absolutely no oversight of it whatsoever

Getting rid of fines is good but that doesn’t help the violence.

Yeah I misspoke. I meant to say that's the key to why police are so aggressive during traffic stops. Our police are used to shakedown their own citizens.

If everyone in the country knew that there was a zero percent chance of being stopped by police, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the liklihood of drunk driving would go up by more than 1%.

Curbing drunk driving doesn’t require hordes of roving gangs of police looking for any excuse to stop cars.

Once again, the fact that we don't require our armed executioners, I mean police officers, to have a minimum of a four year degree is baffling. I guess it makes it easier for their puppet masters if they're nothing more than mindless bootlickers.

The cop who shot the man in MN last night is either a liar or a complete idiot. They should spend several years behind bars and never work in law enforcement again.

Do you know of any organizations or activists that are calling for 4-year degrees as a reform? I really think it’s problematic to suggest it as a solution. The problems stem from the system of policing. Increasing the number of cops with 4 year degrees won’t address the systemic racism and violence inherent to policing.

Also, plenty of cops, DAs, prosecutors, judges have 4 year degrees. And they all still uphold the current system.

don't need a liberal arts degree to join the military, and given the militarization of our police that's essentially what you're doing

Do you know of any organizations or activists that are calling for 4-year degrees as a reform? I really think it’s problematic to suggest it as a solution. The problems stem from the system of policing. Increasing the number of cops with 4 year degrees won’t address the systemic racism and violence inherent to policing.

Why is having a more educated armed police force a problem?

1. It weeds out the HS educated and military vet cosplayers
2. The courses they would have to take would require diversity training and community education
3. Sure the DAs/judges/etc don't mind the dumb cops doing their dirty work, but a college educated police officer should be less likely to act impulsively

I'm not saying it is the only reform, but it can't hurt. We need reform which reshuffles our police responsibilities, which will lead to less armed police being needed. You know how to limit the pool? Make the job qualifications much tougher.

Why is having a more educated armed police force a problem?

1. It weeds out the HS educated and military vet cosplayers
2. The courses they would have to take would require diversity training and community education
3. Sure the DAs/judges/etc don't mind the dumb cops doing their dirty work, but a college educated police officer should be less likely to act impulsively

I'm not saying it is the only reform, but it can't hurt. We need reform which reshuffles our police responsibilities, which will lead to less armed police being needed. You know how to limit the pool? Make the job qualifications much tougher.

Do you know of any organizations explicitly calling for it as a reform?

Curbing drunk driving doesn’t require hordes of roving gangs of police looking for any excuse to stop cars.

We'll also probably solve this issue with driverless cars in the next decade or so. It will be interesting to see how much of a reduction in the police force this results in.

if the average drunk driver is on the road 80 times (!) before they get caught why the fuck are cop patrols/DUI checkpoints still even thought of as any part of the solution

We'll also probably solve this issue with driverless cars in the next decade or so. It will be interesting to see how much of a reduction in the police force this results in.

lol techno-utopianism

Because it’s problematic, which is why you don’t see people elevating it as a demand.

I can only assume that its problematic if you're trying to abolish the police entirely, and that's never happening because I live in the real world.

Exposing police to more community based training and education will help over time.

plama in 2056: just let the cops remotely kill your car engine and submit to mandatory DNA screening anyone who doesn't kinda had death coming

Back