• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

That's when call was made. So the actually shooting probably was pretty close to when the verdict dropped.

This article says the call was at 4:35, the shooting was reported at 4:45, the medics came at 4:46, and the girl died at 5:21. This girl was fighting for her life while the verdict was announced.
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news...ficer-involved-shooting-east-side/7309088002/

This neighbor said witnesses said the police showed up to a call about a knife fight and just shot one of the girls with little to no warning.

If you can't trust Grandma who can you trust?

Why does a cop have to shoot someone to stop a stabbing? Why even bother having a taser if it’s shoot first ask questions later?

Why does a cop have to shoot someone to stop a stabbing? Why even bother having a taser if it’s shoot first ask questions later?

Well I suppose this would be the ultimate argument behind the need for police. Because I imagine for a large portion of the country, there's absolutely no better example of what in an ideal world we would have police for. You get a call that someone has a gun/knife and is about to injure someone, and the cop shows up and stops the person from getting injured a tenth of a second before it happens.

Seems what we need to do is just invent a better immobilizing weapon, gimme a dart that tranquilizes someone on contact.

Well I suppose this would be the ultimate argument behind the need for police. Because I imagine for a large portion of the country, there's absolutely no better example of what in an ideal world we would have police for. You get a call that someone has a gun/knife and is about to injure someone, and the cop shows up and stops the person from getting injured a tenth of a second before it happens.

In this case, the person who made the call is the person the cop killed.

I think it's pretty dumb to call the cops in general. However, it makes sense that someone could call the cops in distress and the cops show up while that person is defending themselves.

The one girl was attacking someone with a deadly weapon. Deadly force seems to be appropriate in this situation.

Sean Connery agrees that when they bring a knife to a fight the cops should bring a gun.

Did y'all know that George Floyd actually asked the cops to put him on the ground?

- my wife's racist West Virginia family last night

Did y'all know that George Floyd actually asked the cops to put him on the ground?

- my wife's racist West Virginia family last night

Ah ye ol' "if I lay down could you scratch my back defense." A tale as old as time.

The one girl was attacking someone with a deadly weapon. Deadly force seems to be appropriate in this situation.

Watching that video it's tough to argue otherwise. The aggressor was in the backswing of stabbing someone with a knife thrust. It was clearly not a time where deescalating the situation was possible, and someone's life was in danger.

How about the dude just kicking the big lady right in the face, right in front of the cop? It was mayhem.

I am curious what the Abolish the Police crowd thinks a social worker would do when they arrived at that scene. "Ummm.. Can you please stop stabbing each other? And don't kick her in the face. That's not nice." lol

Im not sure the “what would a social worker do? Lol” is the best line of argument when the result of the police showing up was a 16 yo being shot and killed.

Im not sure the “what would a social worker do? Lol” is the best line of argument when the result of the police showing up was a 16 yo being shot and killed.

A 16 year old in the act of potentially killing another person.

It’s like the one time where proper use of force and the police having guns comes into play, i get it for consistency you have to go all in for all police killings but you won’t find anywhere close to majority support. This isn’t call the police I have a gun and it’s only me around, it’s only me alone with a knife im coming at you just maybe tase me, this is active fighting with a knife with the potential to kill others.

but also a 16 year-old perhaps acting in self-defense if she did indeed call the cops in fear for her life

I really wrestle with what public safety should look like in a violent society -- obviously the police are terrible at most functions of their job, but I find myself left wanting on serious engagement around alternatives

but the one thing I believe strongly is that the violence is a product of an economic system that maintains a permanent underclass by design and that any serious lasting solution is based in equity and real -- not some welfare state bullshit -- restructuring of our economic class system

I don’t understand why it’s better for the police to definitely kill someone who may possibly kill someone else.

We told our 8 year old about the Chauvin verdict. As usual, his response was on point. "That's good. Killing people is wrong because even if that person did something wrong, killing someone is worse."

We have to get back to the point in our society where killing someone is bad. Right now, we are at a point where killing someone is considered a reasonable response to any provocation.

but also a 16 year-old perhaps acting in self-defense if she did indeed call the cops in fear for her life

I really wrestle with what public safety should look like in a violent society -- obviously the police are terrible at most functions of their job, but I find myself left wanting on serious engagement around alternatives

but the one thing I believe strongly is that the violence is a product of an economic system that maintains a permanent underclass by design and that any serious lasting solution is based in equity and real -- not some welfare state bullshit -- restructuring of our economic class system

Agreed- so what's the first step of that? Better schools? Jobs training?

Back