• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

[url]https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/06/tempe-police-bickings-drowning/

To protect and serve themselves

I mean there's video of this dude. He didn't slip and fall into a body of water. He knowingly got in while trying to evade arrest and started swimming away. None of you are going after him either. Sometimes dumbasses need to die and it's not the cops' fault. Let's say hypothetically its your job to resolve this conflict between this homeless dude and his homeless girlfriend and he just jumps in the middle of a river to avoid you. At what point in the video below do you brave tunnels posters make a rescue by making a quarter mile swim into the middle of a river to save a homeless idiot that clearly willingly put himself at risk?

Unless you morons can get off your liberal high horses you're about to literally cost us democracy on planet earth.

Last edited:
Counterpoint: it's the long history of shitty behavior by cops that colors all the good they have done and creates animosity towards cops. It's going to take a long time to unpack that baggage (if at all). Counterpoint part deux: as dumb and counterproductive as some people are it's still the people committing the crimes (guns over people party) that are to blame.

I mean there's video of this dude. He didn't slip and fall into a body of water. He knowingly got in while trying to evade arrest and started swimming away. None of you are going after him either. Sometimes dumbasses need to die and it's not the cops' fault. Let's say hypothetically its your job to resolve this conflict between this homeless dude and his homeless girlfriend and he just jumps in the middle of a river to avoid you. At what point in the video below do you brave tunnels posters make a rescue by making a quarter mile swim into the middle of a river to save a homeless idiot that clearly willingly put himself at risk?

Unless you morons can get off your liberal high horses you're about to literally cost us democracy on planet earth.

Good to know it's the liberals' fault the Republicans are fascist assholes.

palma is 100% right here and it appears that the officers followed their protocol and Red Cross recommendations for this situation.

If you're arguing that the police should have handcuffed him immediately upon responding to the call to avoid this situation, then say so. But this guy was never under arrest and was free to go at any time.

What are the Red Cross recommendations?

I would assume the red cross would say to immediately call in a rescue team, particularly if there are turbines in the water as the bike cop said. I would also assume the red cross would expect a little bit of urgency and not nonchalant, casual, Phil Collins drowning-viewing.

Regardless, complaining about how police handled this will definitely cause the fall of democracy - that was an astute comment.

https://www.redcross.org/content/dam...ow_dont_go.pdf

Reach or Throw, Don’t Go

Key Points and Discussion
* What is the one thing you do not want to do if you see someone who is having trouble in the water?
Answer: Jump in the water to help.

* Who is the only person who should get in the water to help a person who is drowning?
Answer: A lifeguard

* You could put yourself in a dangerous situation if you enter the water to try to rescue someone. It is possible you could drown.
* The best thing a person can do if he or she cannot reach or throw something to the person that is in trouble is to go and get help.
* People have drowned because they entered the water trying to rescue a person in trouble.
* Only a person who is trained in water rescue should enter the water to try and save someone in trouble.
* What is the rule for helping someone in trouble in the water?
Answer: Reach or throw, don’t go.

Last edited:
If you ever went to lifeguard school, you would know that your instructor is going to grab and fight you and basically try to drown you as part of your certification because that's what an actual drowning person is going to do. Being able to fight off a drowning person is part of the training. Unless these cops are retired Navy SEALS (with lifeguard training), I don't blame them one bit for not jumping in after someone who intentionally and adversarially jumped into the lake to get away from them.

Biff, it seems like you’re comfortable with cops deciding who should live or die.

Link doesn't work, but when I was in scouts, it was "reach, throw, row, go", with "go" being a distant fourth option for the reasons stated, but an option. Was that advice on your link directed at would-be professional lifeguards, or random citizens who might be in position to save someone drowning? As much as police are funded, I think it would be reasonable to teach them how to "go" as part of their training as first responders. At the very least, seeking another option seems reasonable, as has been stated.

Biff, it seems like you’re comfortable with cops deciding who should live or die.

Oh, that's so provocative.

The dude literally jumped in the water without knowing how to swim.

Last edited:
What did they throw to the drowning man?

I doubt they threw him anything because they don't carry around life vests in their cars or on their bikes.

The city said that it and the Tempe Police Department "are examining water response protocols and equipment needs for officers as well as for placement of rescue equipment around bodies of water."

Members of the Tempe Police Department receive "no training in water rescues" and do not have "equipment to help people at risk of drowning," the Tempe Officers Association — which represents officers of the Tempe police force — said in a statement to Insider on Tuesday.

"Attempting such a high-risk rescue could easily result in the death of the person in the water and the officer, who could be pulled down by a struggling adult," the union said. "Officers are trained to call the Fire Department and/or get the Tempe Police boat. That is what officers did here."

https://www.insider.com/tempe-cops-...22-6?inline-endstory-related-recommendations=

Didn't see anyone calling the fire department or a police boat in the video.

Seems like the police union is at least acknowledging their water training and equipment is insufficient. Pretty ridiculous the cops aren't trained on water rescue and don't have a life vest or ring buoy to throw -- that's a big fail.

Didn't see anyone calling the fire department or a police boat in the video.

Seems like the police union is at least acknowledging their water training and equipment is insufficient. Pretty ridiculous the cops aren't trained on water rescue and don't have a life vest or ring buoy to throw -- that's a big fail.

It is not ridiculous at all. Go to your nearest river or manmade lake and tell me how many flotation devices you see lying around with ropes attached to them.

Why is anyone acting like patrolling a body of water and responding to emergencies thereon is akin to walking the beat on land ?

I honestly don't blame the police for not jumping in to help the guy. I was initially just helping sig post a link. I find their casual response pretty gross but the video cut off so it is hard to say they didn't try at all. I do find it hard to believe that there wasn't any kind of emergency throw-ring / life saving station anywhere near that foot bridge. The cops could have at least made an effort to look around and find something useful, just because it is not stored in the trunk of the patrol car doesn't mean they can try and help a guy. If there are not emergency stations anywhere near the bridge the city should definitely install them, that seems really negligent.

It is not ridiculous at all. Go to your nearest river or manmade lake and tell me how many flotation devices you see lying around with ropes attached to them.

Why is anyone acting like patrolling a body of water and responding to emergencies thereon is akin to walking the beat on land ?

Almost all public beaches, waterfronts and boat ramps have some sort of life saving equipment around. Stuff gets stolen and vandalized so maybe it wasn't there, but, did they even try to look for something?

Almost all public beaches, waterfronts and boat ramps have some sort of life saving equipment around. Stuff gets stolen and vandalized so maybe it wasn't there, but, did they even try to look for something?

I tend to disagree with the first part of that assessment. Best bet would have been to find a nearby boat and find something there, which probably would have required breaking a lock someplace, and there's no telling how far away that might be. Also, it was 5 AM so it's not like there were a lot of people around to help or offer their own equipment.

Also, I don't know what anyone else's experience is, but mine is that in an area where homeless people hang out, everything that isn't welded or cemented to something else is going to get stolen.

Back