• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

You're missing the real point. This situation is exhibit A for why it's necessary not to treat police reports as indisputable evidence and put them in proper context as the testimony of someone trying not to get charged for murder.

That's a more reliable way seek the truth than spending tons of money on camera hoping cops will keep their cameras on when they kill.

I'm not talking about charging anybody. I'm talking about your personal opinion about what happens. Your opinion and doubts about the police as a rational human do not require the same standard.

Just heard this cop has was charged (and cleared because of police testimony) of police brutality. Anyone else hear that?

Quoted because apparently some people, in righteous indignation against Mike Brown non-believers, are missing that I'm saying this.

The fact that I conclude Mike Brown wasn't murdered does not preclude me from concluding that Walter Scott was.

This is bang on. I see some liberals here get hard as if these horrible acts by police justify their ignorance about mike brown. I dont think there is anyone here that thinks police should be able to commit acts like these and not have to face a penalty.

That video is chilling. Would planting evidence to cover up a murder elevate it to murder 1? This should be shown and talked about at every police academy in America.

This was disgusting to watch.

Just heard this cop has was charged (and cleared because of police testimony) of police brutality. Anyone else hear that?

Slager was cleared of another complaint regarding use of force. In that case, a man alleged Slager had used his Taser for no reason and slammed him to the ground in September 2013. The officer was exonerated upon investigation, documents from the North Charleston Police Department show.

Link

And he planted evidence in order to support what he later put in his report. They even lied about administering CPR. Will the other police get in any trouble for lying in the police report?

Two questions. How does jailing someone for back child support help the child?

Are other states beside SC charging officers with murder? I haven't see any other than this one and the officer who shot the truck driver for complying with the officer's request to get his ID.

I imagine there are situations where a person owing support isn't paid regularly by their employers (self-employed, paid in cash, whatever) and the only way to enforce the Order is for the collecting parent to ask that the Court find the paying parent in contempt. It helps no one because the paying parent may lose his job or have less money if he/she goes to jail, but there's really no good solution when a wage assignment (or whatever it would be called in various states) won't work.

Also, the courts look very unfavorably upon people who don't pay child support.

But back to the issue - this cop fucking deserves everything that comes to him.

I'm against the death penalty, but I'd probably make an exception in this case if they made the cop run away while the firing squad shot him in the back.

You can't charge a cop just because he killed someone. I recognize it might make sense to do so from the ivory tower, but that's not how it works in the real world. A police report is only indisputable for legal purposes insofar as it is disputed. You have to have evidence, and the fact that some cops have falsified reports, planted evidence, etc. in the past is not evidence that this or that particular cop did it this or that particular time. To conclude ofherwise is a violation of due process. It would be like saying some black people have committed murder in the past so this black person must've committed murder here.

The forensic evidence here likely would have not backed up the police report.

If the officer claims that the man was shot while struggling for/possessing the taser, then why was he shot in the back (entry wounds/exit wounds) and why would there be no gun power residue on the man's clothing (shot from too far a distance).

Given that, would you think the police report would have held water without the benefit of the video? Personally, I would hope not.

This is bang on. I see some liberals here get hard as if these horrible acts by police justify their ignorance about mike brown. I dont think there is anyone here that thinks police should be able to commit acts like these and not have to face a penalty.

The only people bringing up Mike Brown are you and Junebug. Nobody else even hinted towards that case as something that was at all relevant in this case.

In short, fuck off with that strawman.

It would have been interesting to see if the forensic evidence would have lined up with the police report. I'm not sure if you can assume a reliable forensic report during an active police cover up.

I'm still unclear why we don't have independent investigators (to the extent that we don't) when there is a police shooting

I'm not sure you can assume an active "police" cover up based on the lies of one officer.

The false report was based on what was said by "police and witnesses." Enough people were willing to lie in the report. It's a bold claim to say others within the local criminal justice system were going to directly contradict them and expose the lie. Actually it's quite naive.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you can assume an active "police" cover up based on the lies of one officer.
One officer?
The false report was based on what was said by "police and witnesses." Enough people were willing to lie in the report. It's a bold claim to say others within the local criminal justice system were going to directly contradict them and expose the lie. Actually it's quite naive.

You may end up being correct, but this isn't obvious yet. The police tweet says that police and witnesses saw Scott flee before turning to grapple for the taser. The sentence ends there. That could end up being true based on events that occured before the video was shot.

So you think is is plausible that a man chose flight and started to run away, then chose fight and ran back towards the police officer to grab his taser which was already shot into his body, before choosing flight again and running away a second time?

Sweet.

I guess officer Slager made up that claim that officer(s) tried to revive Scott. The reports released from the police department, by the spokesman, were clearly lies. They didn't know where he had been shot?

From the NYTimes piece:
Police reports say that officers performed CPR and delivered first aid to Mr. Scott. The video shows that for several minutes after the shooting, Mr. Scott remained face down with his hands cuffed behind his back. A second officer arrives, puts on blue medical gloves and attends to Mr. Scott, but is not shown performing CPR. As sirens wail in the background, a third officer later arrives, apparently with a medical kit, but is also not seen performing CPR.

So does the police report only include a statement from Slager than officers performed CPR or does it include statements from at least the three officers who were on the scene saying that at least one of them performed CPR?

So basically they lied about everything so far. The only truth I've seen released is the statement "subject is down"

Back