• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

I don't get starstruck often, but passing Chappelle in Yellow Springs, OH was pretty cool

This was another good Chappelle story posted.

Was it a riot or a peaceful protest? I support the protesters, but I don't get the outrage towards these cops - weren't they doing what the protesters wanted them to do - stay the hell away? If a peaceful protest against the police turns into a riot because the cops stayed away like the protesters wanted, that isn't the cops' fault, that is the protesters' fault. The last two weeks all we've heard is how the cops shouldn't be up in the face of the protesters and then violence wouldn't happen, that the cops are the cause of the violence. These cops stayed away and the violence apparently happened anyway.

Those cops looted a Congressman’s office.

Was it a riot or a peaceful protest? I support the protesters, but I don't get the outrage towards these cops.

Really? You don’t think people should be upset that their taxes went to pay a bunch of guys to sleep and eat popcorn? You don’t understand that?

Really? You don’t think people should be upset that their taxes went to pay a bunch of guys to sleep and eat popcorn in an Congressman’s office that their taxes also pay for? You don’t understand that?

Addendum.

Trump’s Republican “celebration” speech in Jacksonville will come on the 60th anniversary of “Ax Handle Saturday.”

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/mobi...ville-history-occurred-56-years-ago/309628839

———-

That infamous Saturday, The Youth Council of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was participating in a peaceful protest, sitting at a whites only lunch counter until they were spit on by attackers.

According to The Florida Historical Society, things escalated and 200 white people chased them through the streets of downtown Jacksonville, beating them with ax handles and baseball bats.

Though the attack was originally aimed at the protestors, it soon began to include any black person in sight, according to the FHS. Authorities stood idly by until members of a black street gang called "The Boomerangs" tried to help those being attacked, at which point some members of the police joined in the beatings.

————

I'm not one to give Trump a pass, but (a) this probably is unintentional and (b) the history of most major southern cities is such that it might be hard to schedule an event on a date that isn't the anniversary of some awful thing done to people of color.

Really? You don’t think people should be upset that their taxes went to pay a bunch of guys to sleep and eat popcorn? You don’t understand that?

What do you think firemen get paid to do the 98% of the time they aren't fighting a fire? It is literally a bunch of guys sleeping and eating popcorn, among other things. The protesters were in part protesting the police presence, so the police didn't go to the protest. What is the difference of them hanging out in the congressman's office that the taxpayers pay for or hanging out at the police station that the taxpayers pay for?

What do you think firemen get paid to do the 98% of the time they aren't fighting a fire? It is literally a bunch of guys sleeping and eating popcorn, among other things. The protesters were in part protesting the police presence, so the police didn't go to the protest. What is the difference of them hanging out in the congressman's office that the taxpayers pay for or hanging out at the police station that the taxpayers pay for?

You're trolling, right? There were literally fires. There was something to do. And they broke into the Congressman's office. They literally committed crimes while refusing to stop crimes.

https://www.wave3.com/2020/06/11/ma...y-inappropriate-hankison-be-lmpd-merit-board/

- Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said Thursday that embattled LMPD Officer Brett Hankison should not be serving on the board that hears officer appeals.

Hankison was one of three officers who fired their weapons the night Breonna Taylor was shot dead back in March. And as his name and photo have surfaced in connection with that case in recent weeks, some local women have recognized him and accused him of sexually assaulting them.
Hankinson is also accused of planting drugs on a suspect.

Watched it for about an hour or so while doing work and listening to a podcast. Looks like Wallace had his best NASCAR finish at 11.

Sorry, late to the party. Not his career best finish but his best finish at the specific track (Martinsville). His best career finish was 2nd at the Daytona 500 in 2018 and then 3rd last year in Indianapolis. He's having a much better run this year compared to his previous seasons and he's a good person to boot.

I should add that he's won 6 NASCAR truck series races as well. https://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Bubba_Wallace

Last edited:
That was one of my favorite quotes. It really captures much of how black people think of and appreciate each other.

It also distilled something I've been thinking about for awhile.

[FONT=&quot]One of the biggest lies proliferated in my lifetime within Black communities is the need for a Black leader. It's understandable. I was born 8 years after Dr. King was assassinated. There was a void and several people have tried to fill that void. There were 50.5 years between Dr. King's death and the election of Barack Obama. There was reason to believe President Obama would fill that void. But after his 8 year term, I think there was a broad realization that there was no need for a Black leader.

This was always a version of flawed patriarchal "one great man" theory.

The reality is that there are millions of Black leaders. All ages and background located all over the country and world. And millions of Black leaders can't be targeted by the FBI, can't be assassinated, can't be stifled by the House GOP and Mitch McConnell.

We need to recognize who those leaders are and let them lead and follow them. I've been very excited about the potential of Gen Z to lead. I teach them. My sons are young Gen Z. I continue to impressed at their understanding of how they fit in a complex world. I just didn't realize they'd be called on to lead to soon.[/FONT]

Last edited:
That was one of my favorite quotes. It really captures much of how black people think of and appreciate each other.

It also distilled something I've been thinking about for awhile.

[FONT="]One of the biggest lies proliferated in my lifetime within Black communities is the need for a Black leader. It's understandable. I was born 8 years after Dr. King was assassinated. There was a void and several people have tried to fill that void. There were 50.5 years between Dr. King's death and the election of Barack Obama. There was reason to believe President Obama would fill that void. But after his 8 year term, I think there was a broad realization that there was no need for a Black leader.

This was always a version of flawed patriarchal "one great man" theory.

The reality is that there are millions of Black leaders. All ages and background located all over the country and world. And millions of Black leaders can't be targeted by the FBI, can't be assassinated, can't be stifled by the House GOP and Mitch McConnell.

We need to recognize who those leaders are and let the lead and follow them. I've been very excited about the potential of Gen Z to lead. I teach them. My sons are young Gen Z. I continue to impressed at their understanding of how they fit in a complex world. I just didn't realize they'd be called on to lead to soon.[/FONT]

only tangentially related to that, but I just finished watching the first season of the Wu-Tang television series, and I can see a lot of that same energy, from Dave's monologue, in the Muslim 5%er theology taking hold during the crack epidemic in NY. It's pretty cool to learn more about the wu-tang lyrics that were gibberish to me as a kid are actually very fluent words of Islamic Black American self empowerment

Back