• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

With all of the decisiveness yesterday regarding the NFL I would like to help each side understand the other a little better. To the protestors I say most people are completely sympathetic to your causes. All Americans are entitled to the same rights, privileges, and protections. Both Police and Race relations need to get better. Period. No doubt there are some Americans who still promote prejudice but most do not. We are 100% with you in your cause. However, many of us do not agree with the way you have chosen to protest. Disrespecting something that I love does not put you on my good side, regardless of the validity of your cause. Just because the cause is just does not make your methods so. To use a blatant example, what if someone in the name of your cause felt the best way to bring attention was to stand outside of black churches and yell racial epithets. Would you stand and yell with them in solidarity? Why not? They are promoting the same cause you are. Shouldn't you back them 100%? The obvious answer is no. Offending someone else in the name of your cause doesn't help bring people together. It just creates more animosity. Find a way to bring awareness to your cause that brings people together and I am with you 100%, but don't piss in my Cornflakes and expect me to stand with you.

Weird. Seems like a lot of people were brought together in protest yesterday.

I love that some crazy just equated kneeling, sitting, or locking arms during the national anthem to yelling "Nigger!" outside a predominantly black church. Perhaps someone lacks perspective.

I also love that the same folks bitching about demonstrations in places like Ferguson who clamor for peaceful protest of a just cause get pissed about a peaceful protest. It's almost as if there is something else at play. Hmmm...

I also love that the same folks bitching about demonstrations in places like Ferguson who clamor for peaceful protest of a just cause get pissed about a peaceful protest. It's almost as if there is something else at play. Hmmm...

It's tough to draw any other conclusion.

I wanna know what the kind of peaceful protest that garners 100% agreement would look like. Doesn't sound much like a protest.

Of course, 30 years from now everyone will celebrate this as a moment that brought Americans together in support of Civil Rights much like Rosa Parks refusing to move to the back of the bus or the March on Washington, both of which weren't at all controversial at the time and had total support from Southern conservatives.

Of course, 30 years from now everyone will celebrate this as a moment that brought Americans together in support of Civil Rights much like Rosa Parks refusing to move to the back of the bus or the March on Washington, both of which weren't at all controversial at the time and had total support from Southern conservatives.

TITCR

millionaires protesting against a country that has made them extremely wealthy has never been very convincing, and it isn't now

Oh good. So rich people can stop complaining about paying too much in taxes too, right?

millionaires protesting against a country that has made them extremely wealthy has never been very convincing, and it isn't now

and they're only protesting for themselves, not on behalf of millions of others less fortunate than them and without the platform they hold

This argument fails when you watch the Michael Bennett video

Ungrateful is the new uppity:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/from-louis-armstrong-to-the-nfl-ungrateful-as-the-new-uppity?mbid=social_twitter

Yet the belief endures, from Armstrong’s time and before, that visible, affluent African-American entertainers are obliged to adopt a pose of ceaseless gratitude—appreciation for the waiver that spared them the low status of so many others of their kind. Stevie Wonder began a performance in Central Park last night by taking a knee, prompting Congressman Joe Walsh to tweet that Wonder was “another ungrateful black multi-millionaire.” Ungrateful is the new uppity. Trump’s supporters, by a twenty-four-point margin, agree with the idea that most Americans have not got as much as they deserve—though they overwhelmingly withhold the right to that sentiment from African-Americans. Thus, the wonder is not the unhinged behavior of this weekend but rather that it took Trump so long to exploit a target as rich in potential racial resentment as wealthy black athletes who have the temerity to believe in the First Amendment.

They don't sound very convincing when they do; do they?

Rich people complain about rich people paying too much in taxes.

Rich people protest about the treatment of people of color.

Yeah I can't figure out the difference here at all Sailor, since the only thing in the world that matters at all is money and nothing else.

Back