• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

Well at least your not being eaten by LIONS ! Start the prayers of thanksgiving !

Facebook friend today opined that instead of using their celebrity to draw attention to important issues during a football game, they should either (a) give money to a legal fund to help black people or (b) do interviews with Jane Pauley.

It is absolutely dismissive. However, perhaps you realize how bullshit your argument is since you chose not to answer the 1st question in my post.
Just so we are clear, you don't think rich black athletes should protest or bring attention to racial injustice that affects their community (because they are now rich)?

So you think you can treat black people, or talk about black people, any way you wish and they shouldn't complain as long as they are getting paid?
It is dismissive arguments like this that partially drive the left's "intolerance" of right wing positions.

(I am being kind just calling it dismissive).

A symbolic statement by extremely wealthy people ostentatiously showing disrespect for some of the foremost symbols of the country that provided them the opportunity and helped to make them rich is not a very persuasive, much less convincing, argument. Find a way to make your argument without showing disrespect for your nation's symbols. Otherwise you will inevitably drive large numbers of people away. And no, invoking a charge of racism is not enough to justify any argument, no matter how poorly presented, or untimely.

You mock but this is really the point for me as a Christian. It would not shock me if at some point in the political pendulum that Christianity was actually oppressed. I would want the right to take a kneel and pray to show my protest of that. The American 'christian' right doesn't understand that it is not a crazy thought to project us on the other side of this protest 50 years from now. We want to encourage peaceful, poignant protests like this to raise. Atop all awareness of an issue.

While personally I think what you stated above will likely not happen for a lonnnnng time (at least not in my lifetime), I would encourage folks to take what you currently feel could happen to Christians in 50 years and apply them to what actually is occurring right now with regards to police brutality and racial inequity in policing people of color.

I think that sort of reflection would change folks mentality right away. Which is one of the problems...people dismiss how other people feel unless it is occurring to them.

A symbolic statement by extremely wealthy people ostentatiously showing disrespect for some of the foremost symbols of the country that provided them the opportunity and helped to make them rich is not a very persuasive, much less convincing, argument. Find a way to make your argument without showing disrespect for your nation's symbols. Otherwise you will inevitably drive large numbers of people away. And no, invoking a charge of racism is not enough to justify any argument, no matter how poorly presented, or untimely.

Perhaps I have missed this, but how would you protest if you were Colin Kaepernick and you wanted to get the word out about police brutality and racial inequality in a manner that would cause: discussion, discomfort, and ultimately push people to action with policies and money?

Hard to buy that argument from people who last month were complaining about people disrespecting the foremost symbols of the Confederacy.

He's NOT disrespecting any symbol of our nation. He SPECIFICALLY is kneeling to show respect according to NFL player and Green Beret Nate Boyer. But don't be bothered by reality or what the participants have said.

Facts and reality have no place with you.

Trump is making a mockery of the Constitution...ok, continue.

Perhaps I have missed this, but how would you protest if you were Colin Kaepernick and you wanted to get the word out about police brutality and racial inequality in a manner that would cause: discussion, discomfort, and ultimately push people to action with policies and money?

Jane Pauley interview has to be at the top of this list.

22007473_2404585883099761_6730989526287726807_n.jpg

only a little crazy

Since I have never been much of a protester, maybe you should ask someone else. But I would certainly advise against doing it by disrespecting the symbols of a country that has helped you become very rich.

Since I have never been much of a protester, maybe you should ask someone else. But I would certainly advise against doing it by disrespecting the symbols of a country that has helped you become very rich.

Casting aside the stupidity of your argument, how many of the players kneeling are "very rich"? How many of them have guaranteed money in their contract? How many can choose their employer? How many will get full medical benefits upon retirement? How many of them worked without pay for an employer for 3-4 years?

Casting aside the stupidity of your argument, how many of the players kneeling are "very rich"? How many of them have guaranteed money in their contract? How many can choose their employer? How many will get full medical benefits upon retirement? How many of them worked without pay for an employer for 3-4 years?

look it up

Given there has been dialogue for the past 40-50 years on police brutality with very little to no change, I think the protest is hitting the mark.

The only reason that it is not perfectly clear is that people are looking to obfuscate the cause for which CK took the knee originally by turning it into an insult and attack on a piece of cloth and the military.

When Rosa Parks sat on the bus it was perfectly clear that she wasn't protesting public transportation.
When the Greensboro Sit-Ins occurred it was perfectly clear that they weren't protesting the lunch specials at Woolsworth.
When MLK led people on a 5-day, 54 mile walk to Montgomery it was perfectly clear that they weren't protesting the roads, bridges, and shape of the DoT.

Why is it so hard to accept what the kneel was being done for when CK has said several times, specifically, and directly, that it is solely about police brutality and racial inequality, and has absolutely nothing to do with disrespect to the flag or the military?

Also, for the sake of argument, let's say that Kaepernick knew exactly how much a deal it would be to kneel during the National Anthem before each game (which, I highly doubt he could possibly have foreseen the blowback of this nature about kneeling).

This is a guy who, at the time he started kneeling, is pretty sure he is going to part ways with the 49ers and be without a job in a few months. He decides to take a knee anyway, KNOWING this would be the blowback for kneeling---not being able to land a job in the NFL anymore, being screamed at, scapegoated, and called names by people who claim not be racist at all.

Wouldn't it make a neutral observer/listener even MORE likely to listen than less likely? This guy knew that he would face this type of scrutiny and was willing to throw it all away for...what? What does he want us to hear? That police brutality and racial inequality are things worth losing a career over because they are more important to him than football.

So even if you think he is being disrespectful and protesting in the wrong forum/manner/time/place/etc...shouldn't you look take a deeper look and realize that maybe he is aware of that too...and despite that, he is still willing to try to convey his message and his point through this manner because he feels it is the most important thing in the world for people to be aware of it, discuss it, and ultimately change it?

if only BKF were here to shatter the echo chamber with reasonable, measured thought-provoking posts on this topic

Big Trump guy taps during the Pledge of Allegiance at an event l attended. Later that evening, I can't help but overhear him complaining about the NFL players kneeling.

Also, what if Colin Kaepernick had the foresight to conduct a meeting with a retired Green Beret on how to protest peacefully while showing respect to the American flag and the military?

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former N.F.L. player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...sts.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.com/

Back