• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

If he had a backup piece in his ankle holster like any good, god-fearing American, this scenario wouldn't even be plausible.

So, you're minding your own business, going about your day. Are you more likely to be killed in a traffic accident or in a shooting ?

Fine, let’s concede the point that cars pose a bigger daily threat than guns to most people but it is simply because of exposure and usage rates. Cars have gotten safer due to regulation and guns have gotten more dangerous due to idiocy.

Fine, let’s concede the point that cars pose a bigger daily threat than guns to most people but it is simply because of exposure and usage rates. Cars have gotten safer due to regulation and guns have gotten more dangerous due to idiocy.

Okay.

I never intimated otherwise.

1622073_547231542072767_7032413961264961862_n.jpg

So, you're minding your own business, going about your day. Are you more likely to be killed in a traffic accident or in a shooting ?

Shooting. I spent far more time in a building than on a road in a car. I'd be shocked if a car could get to my office.

I don't drive to work and my workplace allows concealed carry. I'm much more likely to be shot than in a traffic accident (as a driver).

But all this is beside the point: cars are not designed to kill, even if they do a lot.

our business got a bomb threat email on Thursday so, yeah, kind of a big deal when it comes to likely ways to die

Car death vs gun death is pretty close to a coin flip, which is remarkable considering how many more people operate cars vs people who own guns. It's also going to be fairly rare for a car to kill two dozen people in one event.

I don't drive to work and my workplace allows concealed carry. I'm much more likely to be shot than in a traffic accident (as a driver).

But all this is beside the point: cars are not designed to kill, even if they do a lot.

They also provide a valuable function in society, while guns do not.

It's unbelievable how many people I've seen post this comparison on FB over the last 5 years or so.

It's unbelievable how many people I've seen post this comparison on FB over the last 5 years or so.

I mean, if you kill wild game for food a hunting rifle is a pretty efficient way to accomplish that. Now something like an AR-15? Yeah, there's no point in that contraption even needing to exist.

Do those people not own a car. Seems like someone who would post that has no idea how owning a car works.

Do those people not own a car. Seems like someone who would post that has no idea how owning a car works.

Ironically, they are more dependent on cars/trucks than anybody since they live in the middle of nowhere and are mostly farmers/farmhands.

I mean, if you kill wild game for food a hunting rifle is a pretty efficient way to accomplish that. Now something like an AR-15? Yeah, there's no point in that contraption even needing to exist.
I have literally zero problem with game-for-food hunters owning hunting weapons. I eat meat, and I appreciate the fact it's got to die for me to live.

That's world's different than the fact I have to, by law, orally notify all visitors to my office that I don't permit concealed carry within.

I think we all agree there.

I'm no gun nut, but you people, who lead upper middle class lives and aren't involved in any nefarious activities, are full of shit if you think you're more likely to be injured or killed by a gun than a car.

From my office window I see and hear cars screeching and honking everyday and have observed more than one accident. Haven't heard a single gunshot.

And since some of you seem confused, I'm not advocating for additional controls on vehicle ownership, although a senior driving test would be a good idea.

I'm no gun nut, but you people, who lead upper middle class lives and aren't involved in any nefarious activities, are full of shit if you think you're more likely to be injured or killed by a gun than a car.

From my office window I see and hear cars screeching and honking everyday and have observed more than one accident. Haven't heard a single gunshot.

And since some of you seem confused, I'm not advocating for additional controls on vehicle ownership, although a senior driving test would be a good idea.

6a00e54f10a098883401b8d0750c23970c-800wi

You think you're more likely to see a car go through your office window than a bullet?

You think you're more likely to see a car go through your office window than a bullet?

No, and I don't care to engage in sophistry with you.

In Charlotte in 2018 there have been 28 pedestrian deaths. There were 35 traffic fatalities in Charlotte in the first half of 2017. There were 1,412 traffic fatalities in NC last year.

There have been about 50 homicides in Charlotte this year, assumedly nearly all are from guns (80% according to one story, so really only 40).

Traffic and pedestrian deaths are clearly outpacing homicides in Charlotte this year. These are caused by automobiles operated almost exclusively by licensed drivers. Oftentimes, a completely innocent person is killed who wasn't involved in any sort of high risk activity, wasn't in a relationship with a dangerously violent person, and wasn't in an argument with someone that turned deadly.

Last edited:
I was on a call with this guy this morning. Hoo boy.

I was on a call with this guy this morning. Hoo boy.

That dude is a biostatician and an eagle scout in addition to being an idiot.

Back