• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

Is this from you or something dumb that someone posted on Facebook? That is about the most ridiculous position on teachers pay that I have ever seen. Comparing teacher's compensation to a McDonalds burger flipper is insulting and offensive (not to mention really dumb).

Jesus no, not from me. The enlightened masses of my hometown of Sanford, NC are a big reason I had to gtfo.

Is this from you or something dumb that someone posted on Facebook? That is about the most ridiculous position on teachers pay that I have ever seen. Comparing teacher's compensation to a McDonalds burger flipper is insulting and offensive (not to mention really dumb).

Yeah, I had to check the thread I was in before I started in.

Until there's evidence that the McDonald's burger flipper is teaching my third grader I'll retain the position that teachers are not analogous to fast food workers re: preparing the youth for the future.

Plenty of teachers have a second job especially ones who don't have a primary breadwinner in the home.

Plenty of teachers have a second job especially ones who don't have a primary breadwinner in the home.

I would probably say the majority of teachers who are the primary breadwinner have 2nd jobs. My first job out of collage was regional manager of a swimming pool management company. We hired and supervised life guards for swim clubs. I would say 50% of our pools were run by school teachers taking summer jobs.

Last edited:
Before we had kids my wife was a beer cart girl over the summers. Best summer job ever. She made fat stacks and I played golf for free.

I would probably say the majority of teachers who are the primary breadwinner have 2nd jobs. My first job out of collage was regional manager of a swimming pool management company. We hired and supervised life guards for swim clubs. I would say 50% of our pools were run by school teachers taking summer jobs.

When my wife was teaching, she coached 2-3 sports a year and ran summer day camps at her school during the summer.

My parents were teachers who farmed tobacco all summer, every summer, and that work usually absorbed all the holiday breaks except Christmas and spring break (which we never had because it snows in the mountains of NC and you lose it). A lot of the teachers up in that part of the world also had small tobacco farms.

Most NC families work two to four jobs to make ends meet but for some reason teachers take center stage every year at how bad they have it. Question to teachers how many of your students families are doing better than what you have today? Bet not many. And to quote Obama people do need to learn to live off what they make not what they want! Want more get a new job and move on in your career. Teachers remind me of the McDonalds employee wanting more just because they have flipped the same burgers for several years. Thumbs up to the teacher with a Masters but if you extended your education without a plan to cover its costs then all of you need to set down with an economical professor and discuss money educator to educator. Not I made a bad decision and it's up to a tax payer to work more so you can work less and have a better life. Get real teachers! How many famines must lose there livelihoods for you to have what you want?

Shit, forgot what thread I was on!

People should compare the cost of day care vs the cost of sending their kids to public school before bitching about taxes.

Definitely. Day care for 2 is costing us the equivalent of a year of tuition, fees, and expenses at my university. Kindergarten is going to save us enough a ton next year even factoring in after school and other expenses.

My day care money isn't going elsewhere in the economy. Even after mine are done, I'm for paying more taxes for public day care to give more kids good child care options and to free up more time and money in our economy.

Definitely. Day care for 2 is costing us the equivalent of a year of tuition, fees, and expenses at my university. Kindergarten is going to save us enough a ton next year even factoring in after school and other expenses.

My day care money isn't going elsewhere in the economy. Even after mine are done, I'm for paying more taxes for public day care to give more kids good child care options and to free up more time and money in our economy.

We've got twins on the way. After the shock mostly wore off, I knew my wife was done working until they reach K age.

Back