• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fake Punts

ChrisL68

Riley Skinner
Reaction score
I remember us running one in the last 22 seasons.

I don’t think the lack of fake punts cracks the top 100 of Wake’s issues right now
The lack of running a fake punt is not one of WF's current issues. However, playing VT in Blacksburg where Beamer made a career out of doing things like that successfully and not being prepared to defend against a fake punt definitely makes the list of things that went wrong yesterday

I've seen some of our punts where there is no/little rush and a wide open field to take off and run. Punter has a lot to
concentrate on. On plays when they side step a couple, then punt, maybe possible for a quick check/decision. Probably has no option. But just a thought.

This drives me insane. There have been several perfect times for a fake fg or punt over the past 3-4 years yet we never do it. The Clemson game last year comes to mind. It has been set up perfectly because no other coach would ever think we would do such a thing. That fake by Virginia tech was painful to watch.

yesterday's game was a coaching clinic by VT.

WF is at midfield on 4th and 1. Lines up to go for it, in the same formation used previously (and successfully). VT takes timeout to deal with this formation. Coming out of timeout, WF changes the formation, runs a QB sneak which VT is ready for and which they thoroughly snuff out.

About a minute later, VT has a one-score lead and 4th down in the same spot. They execute the fake punt, which allows them to keep the ball for five more minutes before kicking the field goal to get back to a two-score game. WF's defense, then gassed, did not force a punt attempt the rest of the way. Game over.

I'm not saying this is a huge issue, but it's just indicative of not very aggressive and creative playcalling.

I’ve also noticed our punt return formation doesn’t get pressure on the punter and doesn’t create lanes for Morin on an average 40-45 yard punt.

Seems the lack of fake punts debate is comparable to the lack of bloops during baseball season!

I'm sure there have been others, but last trick play I vividly remember was running up the score against Louisville after Wakeyleaks.

I'm sure there have been others, but last trick play I vividly remember was running up the score against Louisville after Wakeyleaks.
Same, and even that one wasn't really all that much trickery. If we ever run a fake punt it is bound to go for a TD. Easy to lull opposing coaches into a false sense of security when you go literally decades between trick plays.

In the post-game presser, Clawson took blame for the fake punt by calling for a punt block.

The fumblerooski derivatives are my favorites and it often leads to a big gain. The Pats attempt against Atlanta in the Superbowl before going to OT would have been an all-timer. Lewis had a ton of blockers in front of him if he cut it back!

Does anyone remember Presbyterian running the bounce-pass fake against WF in 2010?

The fumblerooski derivatives are my favorites and it often leads to a big gain. The Pats attempt against Atlanta in the Superbowl before going to OT would have been an all-timer. Lewis had a ton of blockers in front of him if he cut it back!

Does anyone remember Presbyterian running the bounce-pass fake against WF in 2010?

Remember it? I was there. Had to explain to my Boston girlfriend what that was and why I was so mad about it. She also looked around the stadium and said “is this it? It’s not as big as Foxboro.”

The '23 OL has trouble blocking a simple short yardage play and some of the ogboards.com football experts want MOAR trick plays.

Hang it in the Louvre

I wonder if other coaches call more trick plays against us than the average opponent under the consideration that since we always go by the book that we are less likely to stop them ourselves. I would guess that the success rate against us of these types of plays has been pretty high.

Back