• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

It’s pretty cold in south Texas in June. I can see why Melania would need a jacket ! Class back in the White House, my ass.

I don't see how this shifts the focus from the kids. Doesn't this just add to the narrative that the Trumps don't give a shit about anybody, including (especially?) kids.

I haven't really bought into the whole "gaslighting" thing until now but this whole immigration situation is a textbook definition.

So that this doesn't get lost in outrage about a jacket

If you're into contacting your congressman, do so and speak against the compromise bill. It is a terrible solution for immigration. Encourage your congressperson to look into the USA Act bill, which is a bi-partisan bill that offers border security (in non-wall form) and a pathway for dreamers.

That jacket was made by the same company who made this children's outfit.

And this handbag.

bag180907_468x679.jpg

[h=1]Why Zara Can't Seem to Stop Selling Anti-Semitic Clothing[/h]
http://fortune.com/2014/08/27/zara-anti-semitism/

this can't be real

Does jhmd not recognize the entrepreneurial bootstrappiness of pulling yourself out of terrible situation and fighting to change your lot in life?

I would think his two parent family equals success creed would be difficult to combine with his take kids from their parents jubilation...

My mother- and father-in-law worked their way through college in Peru, saw the lack of opportunity there, and immigrated to the US. They began by cleaning houses and for fourteen years lived in a one-bedroom apartment together with (eventually) their two children. Through working nights and weekends, they were able to save up enough to bring my father-in-law's five brothers and sisters here as well. Over time, they went from cleaning houses to paying people to clean houses with them to starting their own small business and hiring people to clean houses. They've never been in trouble with the law, have been married for over 30 years, and earned everything they got.

It should be a perfect JHMD and BKF bootstraps/two-parent household/lack of entitlement success story... except that they came here undocumented, and didn't receive permanent resident status until my wife turned 21 and was able to sponsor them. Immigration is an enormously complicated issue, and I think there are a wide range of reasonable opinions on how we need to address it. What I don't think is reasonable is deliberately cruel and inhumane treatment, and it has been disappointing to see so many people fall into line behind it.

The media is really screwing up by referring to this as the "Compromise bill," IMO. I know they need some sort of shorthand for the bill, but "compromise" or even "moderate" makes it sound bipartisan.

True, it's not really a compromise and is still extremely partisan.

Good thing, is when I called Ted Budd's office, he plans to vote no on the bill as it stands now. So there are a lot of no's from the right as well - and any adjustments they make to make it more palatable to the extreme right will kill it in the Senate (where it doesn't really stand a chance as it is anyway).

Stephen Miller totally handed her that jacket on the way out the door.

What in the world was I thinking to get sucked back into this shit? What a colossal waste of time! To paraphrase Roberto de Vincenzo: "What a stupid I was!"

True, it's not really a compromise and is still extremely partisan.

Good thing, is when I called Ted Budd's office, he plans to vote no on the bill as it stands now. So there are a lot of no's from the right as well - and any adjustments they make to make it more palatable to the extreme right will kill it in the Senate (where it doesn't really stand a chance as it is anyway).

The hard right bill apparently surprised people with how many votes it got.

Bingo

Back