• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

trumphat_makeamericaashamed.jpg

Thx Pubs

actually, a return of the Victorian era's sense of shame might do some good

Yes, because Donald Trump and other leading Republicans are such great exemplars of Victorian Era morality. Ebenezer Scrooge and all that.

But are they brown? That’s the most important reason to take their kids.

We need to stop dancing around and call Trump, Sessions and anyone who supports this as evil, heartless, racist bastards.

There is no dancing around it. If you support this, you are the above.

Yes, only progressives care about the suffering of "real Americans". Good job teach.

There are good reasons reason that the left criticized Obama for being Deporter-in-Chief and Bill Clinton (rather than the right) for fathering mass incarceration, the foreclosure crisis, and welfare reform.

I’m a fan of being honest. I’m a registered Dem and I vote pretty much straight ticket. I do that because I find most of the right repugnant and there hasn’t been a viable far left candidate in a general election in my lifetime. My political end game is to lift up as many people as possible. I may never have the portfolio that you do, but that’s just not what I believe in.

All of that is to say, to say that the Democratic Party cares about working class Americans is a joke.

I mean we jokingly have compared politicians and legislation to Nazi Germany a lot on these here boards, but this is about as close as I think we have actually come to Nazism in this country.

How far are we really from the Holocaust? The large majority of the party in power already turns a blind eye toward police who kill American citizens during traffic stops or for "resisting." Do you think those people will care at all if ICE starts gunning down "illegals?" Of course not. They'll just drape themselves in the flag and justify it.

We are not far away. We are not better than that. Republicans have been laying the groundwork for this.

How far are we really from the Holocaust? The large majority of the party in power already turns a blind eye toward police who kill American citizens during traffic stops or for "resisting." Do you think those people will care at all if ICE starts gunning down "illegals?" Of course not. They'll just drape themselves in the flag and justify it.

We are not far away. We are not better than that. Republicans have been laying the groundwork for this.

It really is true. The last survivors are passing away as we speak. History can be deceiving. We really should be ashamed of ourselves as a society.

Family Separation at the Border: UN & Laura Bush condemn policy

History isn’t deceiving. We deceive ourselves. We teach ourselves that everyone was sad when JFK, MLK, and RFK were assassinated. No. Plenty of people were happy about it because those three men directly threatened their way of life. Those people have came of age during the Civil Rights Era and have been working to dial the clock back to before that era.

We teach ourselves that Nixon was a crook and everybody knew it and acknowledged it. No. He had plenty of support throughout the Watergate investigation. Those people think the problem is Republicans didn’t fight the facts. They’ve been working to build a conservative echo chamber to withstand Walter Cronkite to make sure the people won’t turn against their President. They are making sure the Supreme Court is on their side as well.

We don’t truly learn our history. Now we are repeating it. We are in a new Civil Rights Era. We are in a new Watergate. One side has been preparing for war. The other side thought the battles were fought and won.

Last edited:

One or two sham elections and a Steven Miller cabinet appointment away.

History isn’t deceiving. We deceive ourselves. We teach ourselves that everyone was sad when JFK, MLK, and RFK were assassinated. No. Plenty of people were happy about it because those three men directly threatened their way of life. Those people have came of age during the Civil Rights Era and have been working to dial the clock back to before that era.

We teach ourselves that Nixon was a crook and everybody knew it and acknowledged it. No. He had plenty of support throughout the Watergate investigation. Those people think the problem is Republicans didn’t fight the facts. They’ve been working to build a conservative echo chamber to withstand Walter Cronkite to make sure the people won’t turn against their President. They are making sure the Supreme Court is on their side as well.

We don’t truly learn our history. Now we are repeating it. We are in a new Civil Rights Era. We are in a new Watergate. One side has been preparing for war. The other side thought the battles were fought and won.
Damn right.

Great post.

that said, we're still pretty far from the Holocaust, guys.

True, but the path to it is no longer implausible and there is a lot of fucked up shit between here and the Holocaust. Even going a tenth of the way down that road will get real scary real quick.

The integrity of this coming election (or lack thereof) will tell us a lot about how close we are to an authoritarian state.

Back