• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

I'm up 10 points and my team hasn't done much.....still early and we are all still in the running. I have been in far worse shape later than this and still finished in the money.

Well, I played the same course today for the 3rd straight week. Shot a 83 after my 85-86 the last 2 weeks. (Weather has kept us playing close to home) This is considered an easy course for the most part. However, they have a Thursday night scramble, so the tee's are back and the pins are in ridiculous (sometimes) positions. Only 1 hole, a 177 yard par 3 over water with an elevated green had the pin close to the middle of the green. Good news in that I had no big numbers today. Had 2 doubles and 1 birdie. I chunked a couple shots that cost me pars along with missing a couple putts inside 5 foot. In the last 2 weeks I had 3 birdies and 3 pars on the par fives. Today I took bogies on all three. That was disappointing since I was right there and didn't finish. Still, I feel like I am getting back to where I will shoot in the low 80's on most courses. I'll never be a really good golfer but being above average sure makes it a lot more fun. :)

My Gold League is 1-2-4 overall right now. Haven't checked to see if he is playing the same team, but rbear who is the overall #1 in the Gold is just #3 overall in the Rookie League. Funny thing is the guys I was worried about (except Spicy meatballs) are all behind me right now.

Catcher in the Rye is leading the Rookie league bkf!!! The guy has been terrible in the past...good for him. :)

85-86-83 sounds like your game is becoming pretty consistent to me. Nothing wrong with that for a casual golfer. Without the two DBs, you would have had an 81 today. That's a very respectable score. It's extremely difficult to play golf once a week and consistently score better than the low 80s, in my opinion.

I have been going out early and hitting a bucket before I play. Need to do that at least once more a week, and do a little chipping in the back yard. I just don't enjoy practicing like I used to. New driver might help also...mine is over 12 years old. lol

I'm in the best position since the first few weeks of the season. Actually in the money in my Gold league at 5-12. I don't expect that to hold since I am out of pitchers for the week....especially the overall rank. I am at 4-6-9---37 in my Rookie leagues.

Noticed they have Vogt listed as a catcher. :) A player I have been watching is Delino Deshields for Texas. He is a rookie, and I thought he could give me some help in runs scored. (also a few points in steals in my rookie league) He has already scored 20 runs with 11 steals in just 34 games. Fantrax has him listed at the dreaded 700k. If CDM listed him early he could be a steal at a low price. They also have Fielder to keep knocking him in.:bowrofl:

I'm doing well in pitching, but would love to have your lineup. deGrom is the only one in doubt.

Since you have some time left you should pay attention to Taijuan Walker's next start. I held onto him as long as I felt I could. He looked like ST against Cleveland this week. I know some on here have said we pay too much attention to ST, but i watched him blow away Trout and Pujols in the spring. If he has a similar performance next week then i would take a chance on him again if I were you.

You were looking for suggestions, so you have to know you will get them from me. :)

Funny you should mention that name. A few months ago I DVR'd Shane Salerno's documentary "Salinger" on PBS' "American Masters" series & I watched it again last night. I don't know if you got to see that, but it was absolutely fascinating....especially for me, of course. There is no way for me to adequately put into words what Salinger & "Catcher" have meant to me over my lifetime. I first read "Catcher" when I was in the 10th grade...more than 50 years ago....and there is no telling how many times I have read it during the years since then. I keep a copy on the table next to my chair in the den all the time (It is laying there less than three feet from me right now) and rarely a week goes by that I don't pick it up and read at least a couple of chapters. It's like therapy for me...and it's very easy reading, the kind of book that when you pick it up you just can't put it down....even after reading it 30 or 40 times, as I have. There is a reason why that book has sold 60 million copies...and still sells 250,000 copies each year.

Salinger's writing was genius....and unique for all time. In many ways, Salinger was Holden. Though Salinger outwardly claimed that "Catcher" was fiction, it is really at least somewhat autobiographical. I really wish you could watch Salerno's documentary...which was years in the making and included film footage & interviews never before seen...so that we could have a discussion about it. There have only a handful of people in my lifetime who have had the lasting influence on my life that Salinger & "Catcher" have had on me. (Bob Dylan comes to mind, but it is a small, select group.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596753/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I read catcher because of you, but found it very depressing. Loaned my copy to a very smart friend who was an avid reader to just get her take on the book. She said it was depressing like all his works, and didn't bother to return my copy. (why do so many fail to return books?) That is the only book by Salinger that I have read. From what I understand it may be his best seller, but not at all his best work. I don't get why so many can relate to this book. It almost has to be a generation thing and if that is it then that's a little sad, imo. How can a book full of misery bring you joy? I just don't get it.

I never even heard of the book growing up. Wasn't there a period of time where schools ban this book?

Did a quick search and from the early 60's to the early 80's it was banned in most schools. That is most likely why I wasn't aware of the book growing up. Also, the murder of John Lennon, and the attempted assassination of President Reagan is linked to this book. You suggest one needs to be a teenager to appreciate it while Salinger says it was written for adults. I will keep an eye out for the program you are talking about.

Last edited:
I held my ground today which is much more than I expected. (little bump actually) If I can just maintain tomorrow I should be in great shape 1/3rd of the way through the season.

It was probably banned when I was in high school....which is probably why we were reading it. I remember that we sat at these long tables with about 4 to 6 at a table in that boring biology class.... and the book was passed around in the back rows as people were reading excerpts during class. I don't think that particular teacher really cared what we did during class as long as we were quiet. LOL.

I hated freshmen Biology. I dropped out after a semester even though it was required. Had to take it the next year and passed with about a C. If I had to take it today I would aceeight it. So boring in those days and so interesting these days. Lots of people my age have bucket lists....I have do over lists....makes me feel younger. :)

I found the complete documentary on YouTube. It is long.....2 hrs, 23 min.....and I realize that this documentary may not hold the fascination for you that it does for me and that you are probably not going to sit down and watch the entire thing at one time. However, to do it justice you need to watch the entire documentary, so if you aren't going to watch it in one sitting, at least save it and mark where you stopped so that you can eventually watch all of it. After doing so, I feel that you will have a much better understanding of J D Salinger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrZwmZoFsSk

Thanks, and I will watch it. There is so many great things out there for free on the internet.

Another bomb from Souza, Arenado, and Goldschmidt. Bkf, I'm not quite sure why you pulled the plug on Arenado so quickly. Probably not now, but he was the highest owned player towards the beginning of the season. If he has a big day, everyone who has him could really hurt you. Obviously if he struggles you'll benefit more. But he's gotmsolid numbers thus far

Hk Ohmq
7efa3a1a0482652f7f8941e31ef96407.jpg
seh

I lost 4.5 points in my Gold today. Only got 55 at bats with zero inning pitched so that isn't really that bad. Souza only plays well when I have him on the bench. lol

Of his 10 home runs only 3 while I have him in my lineup. (only 2 steals and batting .178 for me)

Last edited:
Thought I was going to be 100 percent healthy for the first time next week. Now they say Travis and Lamb will be out for at least 2 more weeks. Also Abreu and Adam Jones are hurt as well. I do have 7 two-start pitchers next week for the first time all year.

Donaldson

Looking at my team and trying to figure out how to improve my numbers. Runs scored is a category I really need to improve on. Hard to believe this guy already has 43 runs scored. (little doubt he is a big reason for my poor performance in this cat.) I just don't see how to work him into my lineup. I still think there is no way he is a .300 hitter. Still, there is no reason to think he won't continue to score in other categories. (really thought health could be an issue this year) Would like to get to the break only using 1 or 2 of my remaining 10 purchases.

The next 2 weeks are pitching weeks for me so I guess I will see how I make out about the middle of the month. It's the time of year where you don't want to wait too long yet not make knee-jerk decisions.

Back