• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fast food strike

i posted about it on the CT a couple of days ago. i just said that i totally believe in paying people a decent wage, but i know for a fact that the lifeguards that work at the pool where i swim are paid $12/hour. they have each paid for themselves to be CPR and first aid certified (don't know the going rate for that these days, but i know it was $200 when i did it 10 years ago. first aid certification lasts 3 years, but you have to renew CPR every year), and they are responsible for keeping children and adults alive and safe. having worked at the same pool for several years, i know that there is rarely a day when at least one lifeguard doesn't have to jump in (public pool, and there are a lot of parents who view it as a really cheap babysitter).

it just seems wrong to me for fast food workers to make more than people who have greater responsibility and higher training costs.

I think the fast food worker should make more than the guy who sits in a chair 95% of the day. There are other perks to being a lifeguard that count as compensation. I can't think of anyone given the same pay that would choose to do fast food over lifeguarding.

I think the fast food worker should make more than the guy who sits in a chair 95% of the day. There are other perks to being a lifeguard that count as compensation. I can't think of anyone given the same pay that would choose to do fast food over lifeguarding.

fwiw, it's an indoor pool.

i posted about it on the CT a couple of days ago. i just said that i totally believe in paying people a decent wage, but i know for a fact that the lifeguards that work at the pool where i swim are paid $12/hour. they have each paid for themselves to be CPR and first aid certified (don't know the going rate for that these days, but i know it was $200 when i did it 10 years ago. first aid certification lasts 3 years, but you have to renew CPR every year), and they are responsible for keeping children and adults alive and safe. having worked at the same pool for several years, i know that there is rarely a day when at least one lifeguard doesn't have to jump in (public pool, and there are a lot of parents who view it as a really cheap babysitter).

it just seems wrong to me for fast food workers to make more than people who have greater responsibility and higher training costs.

One workforce getting shafted doesn't mean another isn't also getting shafted.

I want the guy who could potentially save my life to get paid more than the guy who prepares shitty food that I don't eat.

People are paid based upon their skill set and how valuable that skill set is to a specific employer. The ability to swim well enough to save a drowning person and then resuscitate them is much greater than saying, "you want fries with that?"

People are paid based upon their skill set and how valuable that skill set is to a specific employer. The ability to swim well enough to save a drowning person and then resuscitate them is much greater than saying, "you want fries with that?"

Kind of, I guess. In terms of value to an employer, both are skills that can be taught and are widely available from the general population.

You just reminded me of the pony tail guy from Good Will Hunting.

Flipping burgers is a low skill job that warrants minimum wage. Hell, it probably doesn't warrant that even except that you're legally obligated to pay that. If you want a living wage, don't flip burgers or get a second job. It really is that simple. When the fuck did minimum wage become a living wage anyway? This country has lost its fucking mind.

Flipping burgers is a low skill job that warrants minimum wage. Hell, it probably doesn't warrant that even except that you're legally obligated to pay that. If you want a living wage, don't flip burgers or get a second job. It really is that simple. When the fuck did minimum wage become a living wage anyway? This country has lost its fucking mind.

"Meh"

This sounds like a guy who's never had a good burger

:bootstraps:

Kind of, I guess. In terms of value to an employer, both are skills that can be taught and are widely available from the general population.

Is that true? I understand that you're saying that the skills are available to anyone willing to get them - unlike a profession that limits entrance, but that's not the issue. The question is whether the employees are available to employers or not, and, for whatever reason we want to cite, an insufficient number of people become trained in lifeguarding in order to drive down wages.

And yeah, I know you get this. Just stating explicitly what I think most people know implicitly.

Is that true? I understand that you're saying that the skills are available to anyone willing to get them - unlike a profession that limits entrance, but that's not the issue. The question is whether the employees are available to employers or not, and, for whatever reason we want to cite, an insufficient number of people become trained in lifeguarding in order to drive down wages.

And yeah, I know you get this. Just stating explicitly what I think most people know implicitly.

Worked for YMCAs for about 7 years, never knew of a problem finding lifeguards. The difference is that most employers require lifeguard to subsidize their own training unlike other low skill positions.

Worked for YMCAs for about 7 years

Now it makes sense

923122_597441378866_913396172_n.jpg

ymca-1bc058.jpg

Worked for YMCAs for about 7 years, never knew of a problem finding lifeguards. The difference is that most employers require lifeguard to subsidize their own training unlike other low skill positions.

Well, there you go.

And I never said that there's a shortage of lifeguards. It does not follow that insufficient numbers to drive down wages = a shortage. The only conclusion to be made is that, per available position, there are fewer people looking to be lifeguards than entry-level fast food workers.

Back