• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fast food strike

Would people be opposed to thing minimum wage to inflation?

yes townie, did you really not understand the question unless it was asked with perfect grammar?

Don't fucking pay dropouts $15/hour. That's a terrible incentive.

Yeah, I'm the idiot because I recognize that flipping burgers and dipping fries is a job that requires no skill or brainpower whatsoever. Why is it that high school kids can and do perform these jobs during the summer? It is an entry level job. Entry level jobs get entry level pay. Entry level pay is minimum wage. $15/hour for that shit? There won't be any high school kids left to staff The Gap if you start paying burger flippers $15/hour. Nevermind that such a ridiculous wage increase will leave a substantial portion of them unemployed because the franchisers will go tits up.

Pretty sure fast food places don't operate on margins that would allow for a 100% jump in labor wages.

Actually calculations I've seen suggest they'd just have to raise prices about 15 cents. It's not all labor. The CEO wouldn't need to make twice as much.

Actually calculations I've seen suggest they'd just have to raise prices about 15 cents. It's not all labor. The CEO wouldn't need to make twice as much.

The CEO? Of what? These are franchises we're talking about. The CEO of McDonalds and what he makes has nothing to do what a franchiser pays his employees. The McDonalds in your or my neighborhood is just a dude with an LLC who paid his franchise fee and is trying to make a buck.

And evidently...judging from posts like yours...its fucking compassion, heart & soul. The good-paying jobs that were lost (and/or moved to Mexico & China, etc) during the Great Bush Recession of the 2000s were mostly replaced by these kinds of jobs....so many people are now forced to work them as full-time jobs. (While more & more money worked its way to the top of the financial food chain.)

ETA: I'm not endorsing $15/hour, but ELC's notion that all these people could just move into $75K jobs if they weren't so damned lazy & sorry is just pure bullshit.

Those good paying jobs were lost because it became more cost effective to pay Chinese workers and shipping casts than it did to pay union workers and their pensions for the same or less work. That is more a product of the times than it is anything related to Bush, Clinton, NAFTA, or Republicans. It is the inevitable consequence of global industrialization.

Compassion is fine and dandy until you start losing your mind and thinking that every job is worthy of a living wage. That's just nonsense. These are jobs which require no skill at all. No formal education. No technical school education. Nothing. They don't even require any kind of involved training, but they'll get some so that they know the lettuce goes above or under the tomato, per the franchise agreement.

Last edited:
The CEO? Of what? These are franchises we're talking about. The CEO of McDonalds and what he makes has nothing to do what a franchiser pays his employees. The McDonalds in your or my neighborhood is just a dude with an LLC who paid his franchise fee and is trying to make a buck.

That was part of my point. Everyone doesn't need to have double their wages.

That was part of my point. Everyone doesn't need to have double their wages.

I see what you were saying then. Still, if you raise the floor, you have to raise the ceiling. That's how it works. $15/hour is $31,200/year (at 40 hours/week). So if a burger flipper is worth that much, how much is a skilled entry level position worth? A sergeant with less than 6 years in the army gets paid $32.5k/year and does a lot more skilled work and works more hours. So a burger flipper should get paid as much? I don't think so. You will have to raise across the board. My guess is the McDonald's assistant managers make a similar amount, so you'll have to jack up their salary too to keep them employed and happy. So no, the franchiser doesn't have to double his salary, but he does have to stay competitive and keep his shop.

Solid Labor Day work for the "spouter of hard truth."

from BKF's link

Homewood resident Randy Conn can attest to the possibilities. He began working the fry baskets at a McDonald’s in Highland, Ind., at the age of 15. Forty years later he’s the owner of five of his own McDonald’s franchises throughout the Southland and northwest Indiana, and he wants to offer to others the same break he received. Conn stood in a line of 300 on the fateful day. He was one of three chosen for the coveted position.

“Socially, it was the place to work. So it was a great place to be for a 15-year-old,” he said. Conn wanted the job so badly he was willing to stretch the rules a bit. “They wanted 16-year-olds and up. So I just pretended I was 16,” he said.

He quickly rose through the ranks, achieving shift manager by 19 and managing his own stores by the time he was 21. “I just paid attention to those above me and remained hungry,” he said. “I would see the person in the position above me and think, ‘I can do that job even better,’ and I just kept working.”

In September of 1999 he bought his first franchise in Olympia Fields, eventually accumulating nine stores in the region before scaling back to the five he owns now in Crete; Olympia Fields; Merrillville, Ind.; Highland, Ind.; and one at the Chicago Southland Lincoln Oasis in South Holland, off Interstates 80 and 294.

Conns’ story is by no means exceptions, as 50 percent of McDonald’s franchisees and 75 percent of store managers began as crew members.
“It’s all about opportunity,” said Conn, “and we give that to every employee that walks through the door.”

Bootstraps, bitches.

Got no problem upping the minimum wage to something like $9/hr but paying people $15/hr to work in fast food is insane. Its a job that maybe requires a clean drug test, and literally no other education or training. Hell plenty of college graduates come out making far less than that.

Let's see, what has killed Detroit and essentially killed the US auto industry? Oh yeah, paying workers wages that are out of proportion to their true value and allowing the unions to negotiate pensions and other benefits that were unsustainable.
So, yeah, let's pay unskilled burger flippers twice the current minimum wage and see what happens.

What is the argument that fast food workers are worth twice as much as the people in all the other minimum wage jobs out there - like convenience store cashiers, retail workers, etc.?

Back