• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Hot Dog Spots

Pbs, Pulliams and Shortys for Winston-Salem

Yoccos from PA is a famous and hometown spot:

84ed5321b62aa9c33f67b54f2b75eb15.jpg

You all are awesome. I'm compiling a great list.

Of the additional ones mentioned so far, I've already made stops at: Skippy's (RIP, for now), The Dog House (High Point), Ben's Chili Bowl (Reagan Airport location), Dick's in Wilson, JJ's Red Hots, and Green's Lunch.

My plan for a beach trip in May currently includes hitting up: Bill's in Washington, Sup Dogs in Greenville, Ma's in Kinston, Trolly Stop in WB, and Charlie Grainger's in Wilmington.

Bill's just melt in your mouth. Order at least two with a Mountain Dew. The wife and I hit that place up every time we visit her folks. So good. Oh, and go to the one on Gladden Street by the waterfront, rather than the one by the mall.

If you're in Wilmywood you might as well hit up Paul's Place in Rocky Point as well, just a few miles up 117. Not my favorite dog but the locals swear by it and its unique pickle relish. Legend has it that Paul came up with it in a time where the prices of meat were really high for whatever reason (not a history buff) so he opted to make a relish instead of a chili, stuck ever since.

Bill's just melt in your mouth. Order at least two with a Mountain Dew. The wife and I hit that place up every time we visit her folks. So good. Oh, and go to the one on Gladden Street by the waterfront, rather than the one by the mall.

If you're in Wilmywood you might as well hit up Paul's Place in Rocky Point as well, just a few miles up 117. Not my favorite dog but the locals swear by it and its unique pickle relish. Legend has it that Paul came up with it in a time where the prices of meat were really high for whatever reason (not a history buff) so he opted to make a relish instead of a chili, stuck ever since.

Awesome. Will do. I'm trying to figure out how many hot dogs in a day is too many. I'm usually fine with popping in somewhere and just getting a single dog and a water, but it's hard not to get a combo (and destroy my heart).

My trip is a Thursday through Sunday but since most AMERICAN hot dog places aren't open on Sundays, I have to make the most of my time with many stops.

Yum Yum's if my favorite. Since I live in Roanoke, Texas Tavern is pretty good for a simple hot dog and the Roanoke Weiner Stand is good.

My usual order at Trolly Stop is 4 dogs:

1 Surfer
1 American
1 Wrightsville Beach
1 Nuclear

Usually eaten in the reverse of that order.

Yum Yum's if my favorite. Since I live in Roanoke, Texas Tavern is pretty good for a simple hot dog and the Roanoke Weiner Stand is good.

That's great. I'd consider hitting up Roanoke and it's hot dog spots for a road trip one Saturday. This is solid intel.

Man, I used to love Trolley Stop when I used to visit my grandparents in Wilmington. We'd always go there and then some frozen custard place. Just looked up the latter and there's a place called Kohl's, but says it's only been open for 12 years, so I don't think that's it?

Man, I used to love Trolley Stop when I used to visit my grandparents in Wilmington. We'd always go there and then some frozen custard place. Just looked up the latter and there's a place called Kohl's, but says it's only been open for 12 years, so I don't think that's it?

Kohl's is probably where you are thinking of. There were several ice cream places on the island prior to Kohl's, but I don't remember another custard shop. It's changed ownership over the years, so that date isn't accurate. It was definitely Kohl's when I was a kid at some point, because it was originally started by a pharma rep who knew my old man.

Kohl's is probably where you are thinking of. There were several ice cream places on the island prior to Kohl's, but I don't remember another custard shop. It's changed ownership over the years, so that date isn't accurate. It was definitely Kohl's when I was a kid at some point, because it was originally started by a pharma rep who knew my old man.

Probably so. This is where I got the date from, a note from the owner on the website:

It is my pleasure to have served you for more than 12 years in Wrightsville Beach.

So I guess he's just owned it for 12 years.

To spin this a little, what's your favorite preparation:

I like a hot dog (with casing preferred), with hot dog chili that's just barely runny, with a shredded (but not chopped) mayo-based slaw, and spicy mustard on a butter-toasted bun.

My number two is with french-fried onions and BBQ sauce (preferably Sweet Baby Rays).

Minimum requirements for me are mustard (I usually just go yellow, sometimes brown), relish and onions.

If you got it, will add some chili and slaw. Kraut works too. A butter toasted bun is ideal, but rare.

That's great. I'd consider hitting up Roanoke and it's hot dog spots for a road trip one Saturday. This is solid intel.

You are the first person in the history of the world to ever construct this sentence. Congratulations on your originality.

Back