• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

February 4th

Some interesting February 4ths in WF history:

FEB 04 - 1961 WF 78, Maryland 69 @W-S; WF 33-32 @half; Chappell 28 pts; #4 Duke beat #5 UNC 81-77 @Duke; Heyman/Brown brawl @0:09
FEB 04 - 1964 WF beat SC 92-79 @W-S after trailing 35-32 @half; 1st game after exams; Watts 19, Hassell 17, Leonard 16, Christie 14, Carmichael 13
FEB 04 - 1965 Erskine Caldwell spoke @Wait Chapel tonight
FEB 04 - 1967 South Carolina 77, WF 60 Saturday night game @Memorial Coliseum; 1st ever win for SC in W-S; SC 33-22 @half; Paul Long 16 pts
FEB 04 - 1976 WF 89, Duke 87 game @Memorial Coliseum; Jerry Schellenburg hit jumper at 0:03; Skip Brown 25 points, Rod Griffin 17 points
FEB 04 - 1978 WF 74-62 win over Virginia @Memorial Coliseum; Frank Johnson 19 pts, Rod Griffin & Leroy McDonald 16 each, Larry Harrison had 11
FEB 04 - 1981 #8 WF beat #13 Maryland 67-60 @Memorial Coliseum; WF 17-2; Wake led 32-30 @half & led only 56-55 with 3:30 to play
FEB 04 - 2008 Bob Knight resigned as Texas Tech coach @age 67, ending his career with 902 total NCAA wins
FEB 04 - 2009 Saw WF lose by 27 @Miami & Duke lose by 27 @Clemson

:confused:

Please make this his Kanhoji thread. It would be so perfect.

Fdr_delivers_speech.jpg

FEB 04 - 2008 Bob Knight resigned as Texas Tech coach @age 67, ending his career with 902 total NCAA wins

I think this should read, Bob Knight quits on team in middle of season @age 67. He then immediately becomes a part of the media, which he has spent the previous 30 years ridiculing.

I wouldn't have cheered against my grandson...just as I would never have cheered against my son...on a personal basis...but I would have cheered for Coach Knight's team to win. There are no circumstances where I would ever cheer against a Bob Knight-coached team....no matter who it was playing. Everyone has to believe in something or someone. I believe in Bob Knight. Period. No qualifiers. That was a decision that I made many, many years ago. -BKF

I'm putting this gem in here just in case the thread is Kanhoji'ed.

That was the plan that Knight & Gerald Myers had worked out from day one. The two had been old friends for a long time.
Jesus, that sounds familiar. :sick:

Was quitting in the middle of the season also part of the plan?

ETA: bkf, does Vitale saying Robert Montgomery Knight bother you?

Yeah, you'd never want to be childish or disrespectful around a guy like Bobby Knight.

Yeah, you'd never want to be childish or disrespectful around a guy like Bobby Knight.

Do as he says, not as he does. Reminds me of this guy, BKF, who actually attended a Wake basketball game wearing a UNC shirt and ditched his alma mater for years, but chastises fans on this board who cheer against Buzz.

It was a football game. October 12th, 1985. Get your facts straight.

And I did it because I hated Carolina, not because I liked them. That made it the strongest possible protest that I could possibly make.

That would be like wearing a swastika to a synagogue because you hated Nazis

That was the plan that Knight & Gerald Myers had worked out from day one. The two had been old friends for a long time. Myers brought his TT team to play in holiday classics in Indiana as Knight's guests, and Knight reciprocated by taking his Indiana team to play TT in the inaugral game opening the new United Spirit Arena in Lubbock in November, 1999. The agreement between Knight & Myers (then the AD at Texas Tech) was that Knight would come to Lubbock, put TT basketball back on the map with renewed interest in basketball in the area (which he immediately did)...and that at some point in the future, Knight would step aside and Pat would be given the opportunity to be the head coach. There were no surprises here for anyone who was following the situation.

Who came up with the part of the plan that included Knight getting fired for assaulting an Indiana student?

Back