• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FIRE DANNY NOW!

I don't post often but I have read enough of the posts here and as a result I want to say that I am in complete agreement that an accounting for our basketball program's condition is overdue.

In my family there was no other school that mattered. My dad, several uncles, several cousins and grandfather all graduated from Wake Forest and many, including myself played basketball, football and/or baseball for the Deacs. I compiled a scrapbook in the third grade of the 61'-'62 Deacs and followed the action on my transistor radio on stations whose signals I could barely pick up. Some of my heroes from that period were Arnold Palmer who was on campus in Wake Forest with one of my cousins, Len Chappel, Billy Packer, and Bones McKinney. At a very young age getting to see games in Reynolds Coliseum of the 62 team in the ACC tournament, especially the championship win over upstart Clemson was magical. It was magical to put on a Wake jersey later. Under Gentleman Carl Tacy the Deacs would find ways to triumph over the Tar Heels and Blue Devils and even setbacks such as the infamous ball hitting the scoreboard were overcome by the likes of Tony Byers and his miracle assist to Flip Perry! I assumed I would always be a Wake basketball supporter. Because my career afforded me the opportunity to give a little back to Wake Forest it was with great optimism that I bought lifetime rights to "super seats" in the new Lawrence Joel Coliseum at mid court. What a great return on investment it was to watch Rod Griffin, Randolph Childress, Tim Duncan, The Big E, Chris Paul, Josh Howard, Jeff Teague, James Johnson and Naz T Deac perform to a rocking house. A big part, a very big part of my life was supporting Wake Forest basketball. Dino kept it going for a short while, but then it stopped.

This year I made the sad call to the ticket office and told them I would not be purchasing the mid court seats any longer. I had quit going to the games not long into the first bad coaching hire but, because I had a faith things would turn around, I kept buying them and selling or giving them away. It seems that those that are responsible for the basketball program's condition don't care enough about winning to make the necessary changes. I am still a fan but in protest of those in charge am no longer a financial supporter. The thrill is gone.

Thanks for this.... This is why i refuse to go to any more games also..

I’m able to separate the Deacs from things that matter like family, friends, love and health, etc., but having said that, wake sports has always been one of my biggest hobbies. Some of my best memories in life have been surrounded by Wake athletics. I’m guilty of blindly supporting the program, regardless of the fact that it has been dragged to hell.

I’m checked completely out at this point and haven’t been in the least bit upset after any loss over the last 2 years. Danny needs to do the noble thing and resign. If not, we need to dig deep in our pockets and get this guy out of here some way. What’s happened over the last 10 years is unforgivable and as mentioned, there has been a generation of lost fans and alum.

I’m able to separate the Deacs from things that matter like family, friends, love and health, etc., but having said that, wake sports has always been one of my biggest hobbies. Some of my best memories in life have been surrounded by Wake athletics. I’m guilty of blindly supporting the program, regardless of the fact that it has been dragged to hell.

I’m checked completely out at this point and haven’t been in the least bit upset after any loss over the last 2 years. Danny needs to do the noble thing and resign. If not, we need to dig deep in our pockets and get this guy out of here some way. What’s happened over the last 10 years is unforgivable and as mentioned, there has been a generation of lost fans and alum.

For a relatively small school, this is the most troubling to me. It's possible that irreparable damage has been done at this point. We have entire lost generation of basketball fans due to this complete shit-show.
Either Wake needs to go all-in on football and forget basketball or attempt to salvage the basketball program.

If we hired the next John Wooden tomorrow, I think we'd be looking at several years, if not a decade, to repair this disaster.

Just like when Clemson fired Tommy Bowden in midseason after they lost to us and made Dabo their interim coach it is time to fire Danny Manning and make Ernie Nestor the interim coach. Just has to happen. Losses to Houston Baptist and Gardner Webb at home coupled with the terrible non conference losses last year are things Atlantic Coast Conference schools just cannot have. What this translates into for the rest of the season may a single digit win season. Totally unacceptable.

If we are really saying f it, fire Manning and make Jamil Jones interim HC.

For a relatively small school, this is the most troubling to me. It's possible that irreparable damage has been done at this point. We have entire lost generation of basketball fans due to this complete shit-show.
Either Wake needs to go all-in on football and forget basketball or attempt to salvage the basketball program.

If we hired the next John Wooden tomorrow, I think we'd be looking at several years, if not a decade, to repair this disaster.

You make an excellent point. However, I would offer some encouragement. There are enough of us still around who remember some of the "Wake Basketball Glory Days" that if Wake acted RIGHT NOW we might have a chance to turn the program around. When we die off there won't be much institutional memory left.

Mark Richt does the right thing and retires from Miami-- take a lesson from the book of class Danny, retire and act like a man, instead of hanging around stealing money you do not need

This. Manning talks about preparing men for life. Be an example. Show some character and quit stealing money from Wake.

Just because there is an AD foolish enough to pay you does not mean that you are not stealing.

Keatts basically repaired State, team wise, in 1 year. Of course their fan base never got down to the 500 or so that WF has left, so yes, repairing the fan base could take a lot longer.

I took my two sons to the game on Saturday for something to do b/c my wife and daughter went to the hip hop nutcracker in CLT. The problem wasn't really that we lost, it was just...boring. I felt bad for bringing them and definitely lessened their interest in basketball as a whole.

I took my two sons to the game on Saturday for something to do b/c my wife and daughter went to the hip hop nutcracker in CLT. The problem wasn't really that we lost, it was just...boring. I felt bad for bringing them and definitely lessened their interest in basketball as a whole.

Agreed. There's just no excitement with it right now. Everything from the bad coaching, the bad losses, the terrible fan attendance, to the 15 or so students who come to the games. It's down right embarrassing. Hopefully baseball will give us something to cheer for in which I think they will.

Mark Richt does the right thing and retires from Miami-- take a lesson from the book of class Danny, retire and act like a man, instead of hanging around stealing money you do not need

LOL - Mark Richt voluntarily resigned/retired the same way Jim Grobe voluntarily resigned.

The good news is the Manning trainwreck will be over in 10 weeks as I still doubt an in-season change occurs but crazier things have happened.

We're on the hook for a ton of money. If we buy him out and sling a good contract to our next hire, then our athletic department is going to be strapped...What a shitty situation all around.

We're on the hook for a ton of money. If we buy him out and sling a good contract to our next hire, then our athletic department is going to be strapped...What a shitty situation all around.

Ifthe stories about Danny having a fully guaranteed contract are true, then it may be a lot longer before he is let go.

I can see the possibility of Danny and Chill coaching at Wake at least until Brandon graduates.

I know I've said this before, but it seems everytime I think Wake Basketball may stabilize itself with hopes of moving forward, it falls deeper in the pits of basketball hell. It's why I just advoacate purging the whole damn thing and starting over......why not?

Wellman can front some of the money by paying back his salary die to gross incompetence of the flagship program.

If the CEO of Disney saw great strides in their lower brands but the actual Disney flagship tanked, he would be out in his ass in a minute.

IDGAF what the success is of golf, tennis, or even soccer is as it relates to Wellman because those aren't his core responsibility. Men's basketball is. And that's been an abject failure for a decade.

If anyone is an expert in abject failure... it's dv7.

Listen to the man. Winter has come.

I was at Wake for the first three Caldwell years. We sucked and nobody wanted to go into the games. I now love Wake football and watch it more than Wake basketball (which had Rodney, Chill and Duncan while I was there). If we win again in basketball, the alumni who suffered through the Bz and Manning years will be engaged. We just need to win.

I was at Wake for the first three Caldwell years. We sucked and nobody wanted to go into the games. I now love Wake football and watch it more than Wake basketball (which had Rodney, Chill and Duncan while I was there). If we win again in basketball, the alumni who suffered through the Bz and Manning years will be engaged. We just need to win.

All 10 of them.

To get such a contract, Hatch and Wellman had to approve it personally. They should be on the hook for such a moronic deal.

Back