• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FIRE DANNY NOW!

The firing of Manning is the biggest accomplishment we can hope for this season. The sooner the better. Why wait?

The firing of Manning is the biggest accomplishment we can hope for this season. The sooner the better. Why wait?

because 15 million dollars is a lot of money for someone to swallow, even when they know they are wrong...looking at you Ron

because 15 million dollars is a lot of money for someone to swallow, even when they know they are wrong...looking at you Ron
Again the idea that we have a five-year guaranteed contract with Danny Manning just doesn't pass common sense

Unless I missed it, hopefully it is a good sign that we have not heard Wellman publicly support Manning, and his "young" team . I recollect there was quite a bit of that in the waning months/ years of Grobe and Bzdelick .

Just like when Clemson fired Tommy Bowden in midseason after they lost to us and made Dabo their interim coach it is time to fire Danny Manning and make Ernie Nestor the interim coach. Just has to happen. Losses to Houston Baptist and Gardner Webb at home coupled with the terrible non conference losses last year are things Atlantic Coast Conference schools just cannot have. What this translates into for the rest of the season may a single digit win season. Totally unacceptable.

Wow, how can you not care? Wake BB is ingrained in my sports welfare...current status (10 years) is horrible. I caan’t Just turn it off.
Why should I care and waste my time when the powers that be don't care? Seems a silly thing to do

How you clowns didn't see this hire as the disaster it was is beyond me.

You don't hand over a dire situation to an inexperienced person.

This was always going to fail and Wellman is responsible.

If it were just an inexperienced person, it might have worked. He was an older (relative to experience) guy without charisma and with an inability to communicate and a questionable intellect.

This guy checked none of the boxes you want. Either go with an older guy who has shown the ability to rebuild a program or go with a young, smart, up and comer.

Manning was on no ones radar. How we dropped from Shaka Smart to Danny Manning in a week is crazy.

I thought it was a bad hire but I was so happy to see BZ gone that I was willing to withhold judgement for a while.

There were signs real early that this thing was going south.

be83fb38eaad4105a48c602896ed426f_front.jpg

I don't post often but I have read enough of the posts here and as a result I want to say that I am in complete agreement that an accounting for our basketball program's condition is overdue.

In my family there was no other school that mattered. My dad, several uncles, several cousins and grandfather all graduated from Wake Forest and many, including myself played basketball, football and/or baseball for the Deacs. I compiled a scrapbook in the third grade of the 61'-'62 Deacs and followed the action on my transistor radio on stations whose signals I could barely pick up. Some of my heroes from that period were Arnold Palmer who was on campus in Wake Forest with one of my cousins, Len Chappel, Billy Packer, and Bones McKinney. At a very young age getting to see games in Reynolds Coliseum of the 62 team in the ACC tournament, especially the championship win over upstart Clemson was magical. It was magical to put on a Wake jersey later. Under Gentleman Carl Tacy the Deacs would find ways to triumph over the Tar Heels and Blue Devils and even setbacks such as the infamous ball hitting the scoreboard were overcome by the likes of Tony Byers and his miracle assist to Flip Perry! I assumed I would always be a Wake basketball supporter. Because my career afforded me the opportunity to give a little back to Wake Forest it was with great optimism that I bought lifetime rights to "super seats" in the new Lawrence Joel Coliseum at mid court. What a great return on investment it was to watch Rod Griffin, Randolph Childress, Tim Duncan, The Big E, Chris Paul, Josh Howard, Jeff Teague, James Johnson and Naz T Deac perform to a rocking house. A big part, a very big part of my life was supporting Wake Forest basketball. Dino kept it going for a short while, but then it stopped.

This year I made the sad call to the ticket office and told them I would not be purchasing the mid court seats any longer. I had quit going to the games not long into the first bad coaching hire but, because I had a faith things would turn around, I kept buying them and selling or giving them away. It seems that those that are responsible for the basketball program's condition don't care enough about winning to make the necessary changes. I am still a fan but in protest of those in charge am no longer a financial supporter. The thrill is gone.

Last edited:
^ wow good post. Wellman and Hatch can't like this type of Wake supporter calling for a change.

Oldgoldemon is spot on. For the last few years I have been buying the cheapest seats in the house and sitting in the good seats anyway. This year I have not been to a game and have been giving the tickets to clients. I cannot see putting forth the effort to see this show in person.

If I was hiring a head coach, I’d ask him to send me a narrated tape of two of his games, a loss and a win. I’d ask him to explain individual coaching decisions and how the game reflects his overall philosophy. Then I’d send him a tape of a game from the previous season and ask him to talk about what the previous coach did right and did wrong and how he would do things differently with the same players.

Maybe ADs already do this. I don’t know. Seems to make sense more than just looking at a guy’s record and a game or two.

I don't post often but I have read enough of the posts here and as a result I want to say that I am in complete agreement that an accounting for our basketball program's condition is overdue.

In my family there was no other school that mattered. My dad, several uncles, several cousins and grandfather all graduated from Wake Forest and many, including myself played basketball, football and/or baseball for the Deacs. I compiled a scrapbook in the third grade of the 61'-'62 Deacs and followed the action on my transistor radio on stations whose signals I could barely pick up. Some of my heroes from that period were Arnold Palmer who was on campus in Wake Forest with one of my cousins, Len Chappel, Billy Packer, and Bones McKinney. At a very young age getting to see games in Reynolds Coliseum of the 62 team in the ACC tournament, especially the championship win over upstart Clemson was magical. It was magical to put on a Wake jersey later. Under Gentleman Carl Tacy the Deacs would find ways to triumph over the Tar Heels and Blue Devils and even setbacks such as the infamous ball hitting the scoreboard were overcome by the likes of Tony Byers and his miracle assist to Flip Perry! I assumed I would always be a Wake basketball supporter. Because my career afforded me the opportunity to give a little back to Wake Forest it was with great optimism that I bought lifetime rights to "super seats" in the new Lawrence Joel Coliseum at mid court. What a great return on investment it was to watch Rod Griffin, Randolph Childress, Tim Duncan, The Big E, Chris Paul, Josh Howard, Jeff Teague, James Johnson and Naz T Deac perform to a rocking house. A big part, a very big part of my life was supporting Wake Forest basketball. Dino kept it going for a short while, but then it stopped.

This year I made the sad call to the ticket office and told them I would not be purchasing the mid court seats any longer. I had quit going to the games not long into the first bad coaching hire but, because I had a faith things would turn around, I kept buying them and selling or giving them away. It seems that those that are responsible for the basketball program's condition don't care enough about winning to make the necessary changes. I am still a fan but in protest of those in charge am no longer a financial supporter. The thrill is gone.

Wow. Great post.

If you have lost this guy, you have lost all of the people who aren't AD shills. Followed wake all his life, then played for Wake, then had mid court seats forever.

How can Wellman see this and not act? People have no confidence that Wellman will do the right thing or even cares.

That is the real problem. Fans would stick it out if they felt the administration gave a shit.

If you have lost this guy, you have lost all of the people who aren't AD shills. Followed wake all his life, then played for Wake, then had mid court seats forever.

How can Wellman see this and not act? People have no confidence that Wellman will do the right thing or even cares.

That is the real problem. Fans would stick it out if they felt the administration gave a shit.

Yup. Seeing players leave the program at very high rates says the same thing.

Yup. Seeing players leave the program at very high rates says the same thing.

Similarly, what's now up with Hoard? We're not halfway into the season and it appears he has completely checked out. This whole program is just beyond weird.

Mark Richt does the right thing and retires from Miami-- take a lesson from the book of class Danny, retire and act like a man, instead of hanging around stealing money you do not need

Back