• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Charges Filed in Mueller Investigation

If it's not a co-operation agreement, I can't understand why Mueller didn't bleed Manafort dry.

For the lawyers- Since Manafort and Trump have a mutual defense agreement, would discussing a pardon be considered obstruction of justice? Witness tampering?

Perhaps Mueller doesn't need what Manafort has. Maybe having him admit his culpability is better for the investigation than anything he can say.

By taking the plea and keeping the Russia stuff out of the news (to a degree) he's doing Trump -- and Republicans especially -- a service. I suppose that he expects a pardon in return.

Apparently they are capping his jail time but taking most of his property and a ton of cash. Still no word about co-operation.

Hey Dumbass, are you not aware that there is no hyphen in the word "cooperation" ?

They are now saying it will be a co-operation agreement. He would be the key witness.

You don't just agree to forfeit $46M in assets unless they've got you dead to rights.

I guess the Mueller investigation is paying for itself.

The Trump administration in a nutshell.

Prosecutor Andrew Weissmann said at the beginning of Friday’s plea hearing that Manafort has agreed to cooperate with investigators.

Speaking at the hearing before U.S. District Court judge Amy Berman Jackson, Weissmann said the 17-page plea document included the terms of Manafort’s expected cooperation.

Weissmann gave a detailed, 40-minute description of the criminal conduct in the Manafort case.

“I believe it’s fair to say that’s probably the longest and most detailed summary that ever preceded this question, but is what the prosecutor said a true and accurate description of what you did in this case,” Jackson asked Manafort.

“I did. It is,” Manafort, said, resting both hands on the lectern before him and flanked by his attorney, Richard Westling.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...daaa5b2a57f_story.html?utm_term=.2fad6c3dce45

The document indicates he will admit to funneling millions of dollars in payments into offshore accounts to conceal his income from the Internal Revenue Service. “Manafort cheated the United States out of over $15 million in taxes,” the document states.

The filing also offers new details about the various ways in which Manafort sought to surreptitiously lobby the U.S. government and influence American public opinion toward Ukraine.

In 2012, Manafort set out to help his client, Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych, by tarnishing the reputation of Yanukovych’s political rival, Yulia Tymoshenko, according to the document.

“Manafort stated that ‘[m]y goal is to plant some stink on Tymo’,” according to the document. At the time he made that statement, he was trying to get U.S. news outlets to print stories that Tymoshenko had paid for the murder of a Ukrainian official, according to the criminal information.

The document also says Manafort “orchestrated a scheme to have, as he wrote in a contemporaneous communication, ‘[O]bama jews’ put pressure on the administration to disavow Tymoshenko and support Yanukovych,” the document said.

Manafort set out to spread stories in the U.S. that a senior American Cabinet official “was supporting anti-Semitism because the official supported Tymoshenko,” according to the document. “At one point, Manafort wrote to an associate, “I have someone pushing it on the NY Post. Bada bing bada boom.” The document does not identify the then-Cabinet official and it wasn’t immediately clear if any such story was published.

As part of his deal, the government plans to seize four properties, including a nearly $2 million house in Arlington, Virginia, owned by one of Manafort’s daughters. The deal also calls for forfeiture of four financial accounts and a life insurance policy.

Back