• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Charges Filed in Mueller Investigation

[/B]

This.

If Joe Iowa acted the way Trump did, Joe would be in jail. Why is there a separate set of rules for those in power?

Exactly. But there's a tricky line as we are in an election season. I'm fine with the House bringing in Muller and after that, they should end it and move on to just policy issues.

I feel like some on the right want to move on because they're never going to admit they messed up in voting for Trump and supporting him. And they're never going to admit that he should be impeached and removed from office for conduct they'd never allow from Hillary or Obama. But they want Democrats to provide a bridge for them to vote Democrat without having to be shamed or admit their guilt in bringing Trump to power. So the candidates who give them enough of a policy carrot instead of a stick could be rewarded with a vote.

Modern conservatives have honed in on the weaker points of the American government and spun it to their advantage. Our first past the post voting system inherently causes a two-party system to emerge where political and ideological polarization is inevitable. With this in mind, Republicans realized that there was no new party on the horizon set up to replace either major party. So instead of using a big tent approach and expanding the base by embracing a variety of viewpoints, conservatives on the far right of the American spectrum took the opportunity to seize power by focusing on one thing: winning elections (something conservatives have generally been better than liberals at over the past 50 years anyway).

In furtherance of this lone goal of winning elections consequences be damned, the Tea Party faction of the Republican Party laid the foundation of expediting political polarization by acting almost solely as a foil to the opposing party: 1) Obama is a Muslim and isn't a citizen; 2) repeal and replace Obamacare (no alternative provided); 3) oppose any progressive type reforms (anti-Wall Street, anti-black lives' matter, anti-voter reform, anti-any substantive policies that Democrats provide; 4) utilize right-wing media to spread this propaganda to undermine well-entrenched American institutions; 5) prey on the American electorate's fear of change (immigrants, non-Christians, anybody who isn't well-off or white); 6) anything we don't agree with is "fake news."

These steps worked to hasten polarization and paved the way for Donald to become president in an era where everything is made up and the facts don't matter. Republicans exposed our government's weak points (i.e. how weak checks and balances actually are, continued to expand the powers of the presidency vis-a-vis the legislature, point out that nothing can really happen if Congress simply acquiesces to the executive's demands) and used this to seize power while putting our institutions in real danger.

The way back for Democrats is unclear at this point. They continue to operate in good faith while Republicans rightfully note the paradigm shift that right-wing conservatives created. Where do we go from here? Unclear to me, but Democrats have to acknowledge that Republicans have crossed the Rubicon as far as American politics post-FDR are concerned and that the game is completely different. Until they do, they're going to continue to struggle against the united Republican front that just has one goal: win elections by being the party of anti-Democrats. They win elections without policies, without a coherent goal, and without any care for the damage they cause because they rejected nuance in favor of "own the liberals." And with the aid of the Electoral College it's working and I think will continue to work.

TLDR: Conservatives changed the rules of the game and undermined American institutions to win elections and it worked. Is there a way back from a scenario where facts you don't like become "fake news?" It remains to be seen but Democrats need to acknowledge the game has changed to win.

“The way back for Democrats is unclear at this point. They continue to operate in good faith while Republicans rightfully note the paradigm shift that right-wing conservatives created. Where do we go from here? Unclear to me, but Democrats have to acknowledge that Republicans have crossed the Rubicon as far as American politics post-FDR are concerned and that the game is completely different. Until they do, they're going to continue to struggle against the united Republican front that just has one goal: win elections by being the party of anti-Democrats. They win elections without policies, without a coherent goal, and without any care for the damage they cause because they rejected nuance in favor of "own the liberals." And with the aid of the Electoral College it's working and I think will continue to work.”

Yes. And Pete is the only candidate I’ve seen who realizes this and is actively pushing back and has ideas how to address this both in terms of courting enough voters to marginalize core Republican voters and depoliticizing the courts.

Passing Medicare for All or whatever good policy isn’t going to fix this.

George Snuffluffogus did

I have no desire to watch that video, but what the hell is happening with her skin tone there? Is she using all the time saved from not really doing her job anymore to sunbathe or something?

I’m also in on Pete at present. I still don’t know how to feel about expanding the courts. No reason why the next president can’t simply expand further or make changes they see fit. Generally I’m against slippery slope arguments but if it ever fits it fits here.

George Snuffluffogus did

Confronting them with their lies never gets anywhere, they just continue to double down and make up more lies.

images

Dead serious. Indicting a former president, especially one as hated as trump, is the wet dream (and career making case) of a NY DA.

When he leaves office, he is in trouble. Not for the russia nonsense, but for the Cohen stuff. There is no conspiracy of 1.

People told Donald that it’s always the cover up that gets you in trouble and he still illegally went about trying to obstruct. He’s an idiot. I don’t know why anyone is still trying to defend the whole situation.

Obstruction of justice is very straightforward - do not interfere with an investigation that has concrete aims. It’s a 1L crime (so I know I’ve learned about it recently!!)

If your wife doesn't really go out looking for some strange dick, but when one comes around she looks the other way while they stick it in, is she a cheater?

wait, did she say something.

i have never even met her...ok, i met her once but it was nothing...ok, maybe a few times but i never...ok, i did once but i didn't like it.

Trump (and through their silence the GOP) looked the other way while another country committed crimes against the USA. They aren't even denying it, but instead celebrating that basically the legal standards were too steep and they managed to slither through the cracks by not cooperating and lying.

You people are fucking clowns, man. Sailor's wife is probably banging half of Slovenia or wherever the fuck he is and he is sitting around thinking he's a big winner lol

Who is "them"? The Russia collusion conspiracy truthers? Or Sarah Sanders?

You mean the serious evidence that the Mueller report uncovered? You aren't very smart B-RAD and you celebrate here every day.

Trump (and through their silence the GOP) looked the other way while another country committed crimes against the USA. They aren't even denying it, but instead celebrating that basically the legal standards were too steep and they managed to slither through the cracks by not cooperating and lying.

You people are fucking clowns, man. Sailor's wife is probably banging half of Slovenia or wherever the fuck he is and he is sitting around thinking he's a big winner lol

This.

People told Donald that it’s always the cover up that gets you in trouble and he still illegally went about trying to obstruct. He’s an idiot. I don’t know why anyone is still trying to defend the whole situation.

Obstruction of justice is very straightforward - do not interfere with an investigation that has concrete aims. It’s a 1L crime (so I know I’ve learned about it recently!!)

While everything you say is true, it doesn't matter. A solid 40-43% of the country is behind Trump and thinks he's doing a good job. And I'm guessing that most of those folks watch Fox or One America, which reinforces their views.

That's right, and it exonerates the liberals who have been pointing out that this admin is corrupt all along, and that Trump is a charlatan who is in this to advance his family fortune and brand and ego, and to exact revenge on his perceived enemies.

MAGA nation and their GOP lapdogs are celebrating that they got away with the crimes Mueller a) confirmed happened and b) busted other people for and c) sent to other jurisdictions for further prosecution.

How fucking dumb are you people? I get the rednecks in bumfuck Tennessee who have no clue anyway, but what about you smart boys who went to Wake Forest or Carolina and have real jobs and children and shit? What are you doing?

Back