• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Day w/ the ACA... ClusterFuck

Maybe they've opted out because they get healthcare through their employer, just like any other American can who also gets healthcare through their employer?

When will you stop trying to diffuse Lectro with facts and reality?

I always get a kick out of Lectro calling somebody else a shill.

You have to love a piece of legislation wherein the architects and the peddlers want no fucking part of it. hahahahaha...

C'mon Bobby baby, tell me again, because I'm clearly not a college grad paying a quarter mil to be a shill,why the fuck have the people pushing this boondoggle labeled themselves "exempt"? Explain in lay-mans terms why all the Democrats pushing this grandiose piece of shit have opted out?

Hey, Ph,don't feel left out...feel free to throw your over priced shingle into the ring. :)

They're not exempt. Congress and their staffs will have to get insurance throught the exchanges. Congress was the only group with employer provided insurance expressly ordered by the PPACA to get health insurance via exchange.

"Notwithstanding any other provision of the law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and Congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are — (I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or (II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an Amendment made by this Act).”

The first day of a massive nationwide implementation had glitches? Shocking.

By the way, my Apple iOS7 sucked for a solid week.

The first day of a massive nationwide implementation had glitches? Shocking.

By the way, my Apple iOS7 sucked for a solid week.

That's why a lot of folks just wait for a week or several before downloading something like this.

If I were in need of purchasing health insurance via an exchange I'd almost certainly just wait a few weeks before trying. What's the rush? Give 'em time to work out some kinks and avoid the rush. No, I wouldn't wait until the last minute either.

Well, I guess some people may have cancer or something and don't want to resort to cooking meth. But yeah everybody else just chill.

Doesn't matter if you sign up today or in a month. Your coverage won't start until January.

As someone who has been involved in the development and implementation of large scale software systems with the US Government, I very respectfully disagree.

People are so dug in on both sides of this issue, that nobody is allowed to criticize an individual component of the process without being seen as being in staunch opposition to the ACA.

I'm well on board with the ACA at this point. I don't like the law, but I recognize that reform will be done to make it better going forward and I think the opponents of the law are acting like children, which makes it hard for anyone to levy any legit criticism without it being cast aside as more of the same old childish opposition.

I happen to think they rushed this part of the implementation for political reasons, when it seems clear another couple months would have made things run more smoothly at the start. All yesterday did was add fuel to the fire for the opposition.

this is a good post.

I want exchanges to work. I really do. They are here to stay.

That being said, I really think its overly simplistic to compare this to other software or product roll outs. And pretty much everyone knew it would have huge issues. I can also assure you that there are a ton of huge issues with this behind the scenes that would have caused a delay in a non political space. These just aren't bumps or little performance related defects. These are big defects and the folks I talk to every day at AHIP and other groups very much in the know will tell you many many people wanted to delay but wore told by the pols absolutely not.

I also know for a fact that very few insurers got completed transactions from the FFE during testing. Those that did got a minuscule #. Not the thousands that we wanted. Thats not hyperbole. Thats the honest to god truth. We are testing this in production as we speak with hundreds of thousands expected to come in.

Keep in mind, the feds did delay the SHOP so the idea of a delay isn't crazy.

Dismiss me, dismiss my incentives, tell me I have no credibility because "billions" have enrolled. Whatever. We celebrated one enrollment today. Yup. One. One single 834 transaction. And we were happy about that.

Im probably closer to this than 99.9% of americans and i hate to say it but a lot of folks here have no clue what they are talking about...

Im off to test some more.

doesn't coverage not start till jan 1? wgaf

this is a good post.

I want exchanges to work. I really do. They are here to stay.

That being said, I really think its overly simplistic to compare this to other software or product roll outs. And pretty much everyone knew it would have huge issues. I can also assure you that there are a ton of huge issues with this behind the scenes that would have caused a delay in a non political space. These just aren't bumps or little performance related defects. These are big defects and the folks I talk to every day at AHIP and other groups very much in the know will tell you many many people wanted to delay but wore told by the pols absolutely not.

I also know for a fact that very few insurers got completed transactions from the FFE during testing. Those that did got a minuscule #. Not the thousands that we wanted. Thats not hyperbole. Thats the honest to god truth. We are testing this in production as we speak with hundreds of thousands expected to come in.

Keep in mind, the feds did delay the SHOP so the idea of a delay isn't crazy.

Dismiss me, dismiss my incentives, tell me I have no credibility because "billions" have enrolled. Whatever. We celebrated one enrollment today. Yup. One. One single 834 transaction. And we were happy about that.

Im probably closer to this than 99.9% of americans and i hate to say it but a lot of folks here have no clue what they are talking about...

Im off to test some more.

Max Baucus says "hello"

As someone who has been involved in the development and implementation of large scale software systems with the US Government, I very respectfully disagree.

People are so dug in on both sides of this issue, that nobody is allowed to criticize an individual component of the process without being seen as being in staunch opposition to the ACA.

I'm well on board with the ACA at this point. I don't like the law, but I recognize that reform will be done to make it better going forward and I think the opponents of the law are acting like children, which makes it hard for anyone to levy any legit criticism without it being cast aside as more of the same old childish opposition.

I happen to think they rushed this part of the implementation for political reasons, when it seems clear another couple months would have made things run more smoothly at the start. All yesterday did was add fuel to the fire for the opposition.

NYT article says LK is right.

“So much testing of the new system was so far behind schedule, I was not confident it would work well,” Richard S. Foster, who retired in January as chief actuary of the Medicare program, said in an interview last week.

But Mr. Chao’s superiors at the Department of Health and Human Services told him, in effect, that failure was not an option, according to people who have spoken with him. Nor was rolling out the system in stages or on a smaller scale, as companies like Google typically do so that problems can more easily and quietly be fixed. Former government officials say the White House, which was calling the shots, feared that any backtracking would further embolden Republican critics who were trying to repeal the health care law.

Administration officials have said there is plenty of time to resolve the problems before the mid-December deadline to sign up for coverage that begins Jan. 1 and the March 31 deadline for coverage that starts later. A round-the-clock effort is under way, with the government leaning more heavily on the major contractors, including the United States subsidiary of the Montreal-based CGI Group and Booz Allen Hamilton.

One person familiar with the system’s development said that the project was now roughly 70 percent of the way toward operating properly, but that predictions varied on when the remaining 30 percent would be done. “I’ve heard as little as two weeks or as much as a couple of months,” that person said. Others warned that the fixes themselves were creating new problems, and said that the full extent of the problems might not be known because so many consumers had been stymied at the first step in the application process.

From OGB's link. Man, I'm opting out of my employer's insurance and my wife is going to create a plan for us and our future newborn whenever the system is up and running. She's an insurance broker for a small company so she knows what she's doing, and I'm thrilled her boss is going to pay for the plan we choose, but with a baby coming in ~30 days, I need this system up and running ASAP so we can get something firm without having to worry about it.

Confession: I leave our insurance up to her, so I could be unnecessarily complaining.

Back