• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fischer is ACC Rookie of the Week

My favorite play of the NCCU game was somewhere in the middle of the second half, and AF was leading the break. He hit Travis in the corner for what would have been a bit of a hurried, but open 3 as a guy was closing in on him. Instead Travis passed it back to Chase who had found an open spot for a 3 from the wing, and Chase drained it. No hesitation from anyone. They all saw it, made the right decisions quickly and executed it.

This is what Duke does. Spacing and making the passes to the wide open shooter on the break or after an offensive rebound.

It's unselfish and demonstrates excellent coaching.

Gives us a couple of horses in the blocks and we'll do fine.

How about the Fischer King?

images

Good nugget about the Fisher King. Bridges wears the same Kaoru Betto Japanese baseball shirt in that movie as he does in the Big Lebowski.

So Chase has that going for him.

I'm not really sure all that many evaluators saw Chase play. And when they did, it was never against great competition so he's tough to evaluate. He was an early commit to Marshall because his brother went there which took a lot of attention off of him. He grew an extra couple of inches late in high school as well. What a potential find for us though.

It's just nice to have a recruit that's better than advertised for once...

It's just nice to have a recruit that's better than advertised for once...

Hate to say it but it's all about perception. He scored 37 ppg and was a Parade All-American. We just didn't expect much because he doesn't look super athletic, didn't have 4 stars and came from a small state.
I would argue his Parade status should have put him in the top 15-20% of recruits we've had in the past 20 years.

I would argue his Parade status should have put him in the top 15-20% of recruits we've had in the past 20 years.

Just to add, We have actually only had three Parade All-American First Teamers and it's a prestigious list: CP3 (2003), AFA (2008), Fischer Sweet (2011)...

There have only been six others:
Mark Cline - 1982 (2nd team)
Rodney Rogers - 1990 (3rd)
Loren Woods - 1996 (3rd)
Eric Williams - 2002 (3rd)
Kevin Swinton - 2005 (4th)
Tony Woods - 2008 (4th)

Not to over-rate Chase this early in the game, but the board's initial reaction to his signing is still comically ignorant (a tad racist, too, perhaps?) in hindsight.

Parade All American is a reflection of a player's high school performance, not a projection of college ability. This is a pretty important distinction, especially when you consider how much the competitive landscape can differ across the country in high school ball.

I think there's a little revisionist history here on the part of many. I don't think too many fans were up in arms about Chase, more just a little confused as to why we offered as early as we did.

I'm sure Parade goes to great lengths to adjust for the fact that there are different levels of competition between states and school sizes.
This is the 1st team from last year:

Austin Rivers, G, 6'4" Winter Park (Fla.) Duke
Bradley Beal, G, 6'4" Chaminade (Mo.) Florida
Anthony Davis, C/F, 6'10" Perspectives (Ill.) Kentucky
Chase Fischer, G, 6'4" Ripley (W.Va.) Wake Forest
Adonis Thomas, F, 6'7" Melrose (Tenn.) Memphis
Rodney Cooper, G, 6'6" Russell County (Ala.) Alabama
Dantley Walker, G, 5'11" Lincoln County (Nev.) UNLV
DJ Gardner, G/F, 6'6" Okolona (Miss.) Mississippi St.
Trevor Lacey, G, 6'4" Butler (Ala.) uncommitted
Wayne Blackshear, G/F, 6'5" Morgan Park (Ill.) Louisville

We should have been salivating to get a guy on this list. Fact is, most of us discredited his selection to an extent and worried he wouldn't be athletic enough to do much outside of making an open 3. Granted, he hasn't proven himself against ACC level competition but it's not hard to see how he can impact a game even in his 3rd game of his career.

I'm more than surprised at the above list of Wake Forest Parade guys and just how impressive this list is. Chase is in royal company with some of Wake's most elite. I'll be the 1st to say my expectations for Chase were lower than they probably should have been.

Last edited:
He has good form on his jump shot. He missed several open shots during the first couple games but, like all good shooters, he has kept taking the open shots and now they're starting to fall.

Chase-Fischer-jumper-02-L.jpg

If you looked at the Parade lists last year, there were a lot of not heavily recruited players, which indicated that they were looking more towards high school numbers than necessarily the most highly recruited players coming out of high school, which is what the earlier Parade lists were.

That said, its great that Chase is doing so well early. Had concerns about his athleticism, but he has done great so far.

If you looked at the Parade lists last year, there were a lot of not heavily recruited players, which indicated that they were looking more towards high school numbers than necessarily the most highly recruited players coming out of high school, which is what the earlier Parade lists were.

That said, its great that Chase is doing so well early. Had concerns about his athleticism, but he has done great so far.

This was the biggest knock on him coming in and, even though the level of competition has not been what he'll see in ACC play, I think he has exceeded my tempered expectations. Every team needs a stone cold shooter and I think Chase can grow into that player and more for us. Hope he has a great 4 years at Wake

Even his first game, it looked like he had problems with the athleticism on the court, but he appears to be a very quick study.

Also worried that he would be a one-dimensional shooter, but I have been quite impressed with his all-around game. Very good passer with good court vision.

Last edited:
Back