• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Florida State Game Time

IIRC, WF is 2-0 against the SEC in games that start at 11 am. Seems like a good start time to me.

That FSU game last year was our best played game of the year. We punched them in the mouth right away, took advantage of mistakes in the middle of the game and then closed it out with an 18 play drive. When we won in that manner, I thought we were set up for a top 10 finish. That's how good teams win games.

I hope we come out with the same fire to run our win streak to 4 against FSU. They seem to be soft against the run. If Ellison and Claiborne can get going to shorten the game, anything can happen. I'm not expecting a win but hey....UVA just beat UNC at UNC. FWIW we tend to play them really well in Winston.
  • 2011: Upset ranked FSU with a bunch of TO
  • 2013: We were dreadful
  • 2015: Hinton throws an Interception in the endzone with 26 seconds left
  • 2017: FSU scores 10 in the final 7 minutes including a 40yd td with 40 seconds left.
  • 2019: FSU misses a long FG in a downpour as time expires
  • 2021: We roll to drop FSU to 0-3

• 2017: FSU scores 10 in the final 7 minutes including a 40yd td with 40 seconds left
Well now that I've thought about these two games again my afternoon is ruined

From worst to least worst (in-person at the event only, not general insufferableness)

Pitt
Louisville
FSU
Syracuse
VT
Clemson
UNC
State
Duke
BC
GT
Uva

No experience: Miami
Mine from worst fans to least at games:

1. Maryland

2. NC State
3. FSU
4. Louisville

Nobody else even rates. Not sure I ever even talked to a Duke fan the five or so times I've been. Likewise BC fans...like whatever.

Maryland, State, and FSU all threw things at our group and/or verbally abused us. Maryland we parked in a general lot with Wake flags on it and had at least 6 beers thrown at the car just trying to get into the game. Walking into the game with Wake gear on legit felt unsafe. State fans are horrible...verbal abuse...general idiocy...wanting to fight - also just walking into the game with Wake gear on. FSU fans threw an apple at the drumline when we were there for the game in 2008 while we were marching in. Louisville fans at the Orange Bowl got into my mom's face as she was walking around the concourse pregame and harassed her.

But nothing touches the Maryland game. I'm all about ribbing, trash talking, whatever, but folks throwing shit and talking about fighting a family of four with two teenage kids wandering into a game in 2006...just trash fanbase (sorry all our local Maryland posters)

I mean, he’s not wrong. There were like 10k left in the stadium at the end on Saturday in what was a one possession game for the whole 60 minutes. He gives the team and Clawson some credit here.
Homecoming seems to bring that out in the fan base a little plus we were playing Pitt who know one cares about around here. Until WF enrolls 10,000 undergrads more of whom are from the region than from somewhere else, having 10,000 loud fans remaining at the game against Pitt is an accomplishment. Herbstreit has no use for Wake or Winston-Salem. And the State and Carolina fans who support WF against all other foes are fine with that.

Homecoming seems to bring that out in the fan base a little plus we were playing Pitt who know one cares about around here. Until WF enrolls 10,000 undergrads more of whom are from the region than from somewhere else, having 10,000 loud fans remaining at the game against Pitt is an accomplishment. Herbstreit has no use for Wake or Winston-Salem. And the State and Carolina fans who support WF against all other foes are fine with that.
Well plus, when we gave up the quick touchdown after we finally got the lead Saturday and especially when we threw the interception after that, a lot of people hit the road and it's hard to blame them. I was actually headed out the tunnel after the Pitt QB looked like he probably had the 1st down, but came back in after they announced it was being reviewed.

Last edited:
Well now that I've thought about these two games again my afternoon is ruined
That 2017 game was one of the most devastating losses I've seen of many in person. We had absolutely no business losing that game, and people were pretty furious with Clawson after for some questionable (I think conservative?) decisions.

That FSU game last year was our best played game of the year. We punched them in the mouth right away, took advantage of mistakes in the middle of the game and then closed it out with an 18 play drive. When we won in that manner, I thought we were set up for a top 10 finish. That's how good teams win games.

I hope we come out with the same fire to run our win streak to 4 against FSU. They seem to be soft against the run. If Ellison and Claiborne can get going to shorten the game, anything can happen. I'm not expecting a win but hey....UVA just beat UNC at UNC. FWIW we tend to play them really well in Winston.
  • 2011: Upset ranked FSU with a bunch of TO
  • 2013: We were dreadful
  • 2017: FSU scores 10 in the final 7 minutes including a 40yd td with 40 seconds left.
  • 2019: FSU misses a long FG in a downpour as time expires
  • 2021: We roll to drop FSU to 0-3

Won four games in my four years. We beat FLa State in 1973 I think. 9 to 7. One of the four wins.

I mean there's no fing way Clawson is really starting Mitch right? Tell me I'm right

I listened to his entire show this evening and I'm not convinced that he will. He brought Santino with him to the show for a segment and raved about his performance. He also made some brief mention that he was not going to signal his intentions. So, as of tonight, I'm not convinced that Griffis will start. I see absolutely ZERO upside with Griffis. About 5% chance we win this game so might as well get Santino more reps for games we might possibly win.

I listened to his entire show this evening and I'm not convinced that he will. He brought Santino with him to the show for a segment and raved about his performance. He also made some brief mention that he was not going to signal his intentions. So, as of tonight, I'm not convinced that Griffis will start. I see absolutely ZERO upside with Griffis. About 5% chance we win this game so might as well get Santino more reps for games we might possibly win.
I think you are wrong about this. I think either Griffis plays the entire game or we see a repeat of Clemson but Santino instead of Kern.

Never thought I'd ever see FSU scheduled as Wake's homecoming opponent but the wake domination over FSU recently is a real thing.

Does Warchant think Homecoming is Saturday?

Back