• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Flyover at State game

We know the guy who is the airboss for the show. My wife bugged the crap out of him for years to get flyovers at the Wake game. A few years back, he changed the flight plans so after the planes flyover the airport, they circle back over the stadium so there were almost constant 'flyovers', albeit at higher altitudes.

For the actual flyover - at 1,000 feet - Wake has to specifically request it. They have the last few years, but I don't know if they did this year or not.

Ahh I'll never forget those F-15's at the 2007 Army/Wake game.

I kind of expect it prior to the games. When they really scare the crap out of me is when they are practicing that morning. We've inevitably either just cracked open a beer or stepped into the portajohn when out of nowhere they come do a practice run.

I kind of expect it prior to the games. When they really scare the crap out of me is when they are practicing that morning. We've inevitably either just cracked open a beer or stepped into the portajohn when out of nowhere they come do a practice run.

That's always a red eye opener...

I'm sure you remember that's exactly what happened at the Orange Bowl tailgate.

Clemson game (?) 2006....What kind of helicopter flew over?

That crap was scary cool. The game was at night and they came out of nowhere.

Was it a blackhawk?

Was it a blackhawk?

Yes, it was actually sitting near the student tailgate lot with the WF ROTC people. Was pretty cool.

Pretty sure that was 2008.

Was it a blackhawk?

Yes, it was actually sitting near the student tailgate lot with the WF ROTC people. Was pretty cool.

There used to be a great video of it on youtube, but I couldnt find it on a quick search. Was pitch black, and they appeared out of nowhere.

Looking back, WFU has had quite a few epic flyovers in recent years. Not sure if it is more than other schools but we have really upped the ante. I love it.

Looking back, WFU has had quite a few epic flyovers in recent years. Not sure if it is more than other schools but we have really upped the ante. I love it.

Yes, we have had some good ones; some maybe pushing the envelope a bit. I recall the one at Navy/WFU during that time. Very strict - planes were so high one could barely see them. Looking for another good one. Go Deacs. PS. Maybe my view was after that TCV/Navy game ^ - that was low - what I saw was very high.

Last edited:
98 -

AIR, that one at Navy Marine Corpes Stadium got several folks in a bit of trouble. I believe that pilot violated the pre-approved 'hard deck' for the fly-over by 500+ feet.

Anyone recall the very scary occasion at Groves circa '04 or maybe '05 when a Huey helicopter - which had previously landed on was on display in the student lot - took-off and rose behind the East stands, banked and flew toward/over the West side AND....nearly clipped one of the then in place light towers ?

THAT was way too close !!!:eek:

Back