• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Food Trucks?

In NC, I know that Asheville, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham have food trucks. I have heard rumors that there may be one or two in Wilmington, but cannot confirm.

We have plenty of them here in Carrboro.

How many of you live in cities where there are 1 or more of these operating? Obviously if its a big city (NYC, DC, Boston, LA) there are many, but what about smaller cities/towns like Winston for instance. There is 1 where I am (Upstate SC), but wish there were more.

Anybody got any idea if there is any money in operating one?[/QUOTE]

I'm on a listserve from NC State that focuses on progressive, new food. Over the past 6 months there have been several studies and articles shared about the financials of the food trucks. They are also currently investigating the "green" or lack thereof aspects of the food trucks. Some cities are beginning to look at if they should be forced to move to a more clean vehicle due to the pollution that they put out. Keep in mind, this is look 5-10 years down the road but it is something being heavily discussed. Some are also looking into retrofitting city buses, converting them into a biodiesel, and then using those as their food trucks.

The current issue of Atlanta Business Chronicle has a writeup on them with information on average sales, costs, etc. I just skimmed it but I think it said it is a 15 million dollar market in Atlanta that is likely to double in the next several years. Not sure how profitable they are but that may be in the article (didn't read closely).

We have plenty of them here in Carrboro.

I was lumping Carborro in with Raleigh.

The Atlanta ones more or less suck, its probably half due to city ordinances and half bc the current people with trucks just arent good cooks.

We could probably have epic ones if the bahn mi and various taco people on BuHi ever got in the game. Food trucks lend to ethnic foods.

Ive had 'good' food trucks on the west coast before though. and I think I would still rather not eat my food out of a truck.

The Atlanta ones more or less suck, its probably half due to city ordinances and half bc the current people with trucks just arent good cooks.

We could probably have epic ones if the bahn mi and various taco people on BuHi ever got in the game. Food trucks lend to ethnic foods.

Ive had 'good' food trucks on the west coast before though. and I think I would still rather not eat my food out of a truck.

all the banh mi and pho ones here suck and it's like $8-9 for one sandwich when I can go out to VA to the Vietnamese shopping center and get 3 for the same price AND one homemade bread

^ That brings up a good point. Do the food trucks get food safety inspections where they have a score that is posted you can see before you order? I'd be a little concerned about food safety from some of the trucks I've seen.

^ That brings up a good point. Do the food trucks get food safety inspections where they have a score that is posted you can see before you order? I'd be a little concerned about food safety from some of the trucks I've seen.

they do here. and they're required to have a commissary for their prep that also gets inspected.

I'll trade our SEC women and world class weather for your hairy bitches, rain and bean taco trucks any day. Likely at no point could you have taken advantage of the women anyway though, so maybe that one is a push.

This is pretty classic. Well done.

If you're this defensive about where you live, I think you probably proved my point. :noidea:

I think somebody just said Atlanta is a better city than SF. Wait, let me check that again... yep, he said it.

We have quite a few in Raleigh/Durham (there's a lot of overlap since some trucks will be in Durham on certain days, and come to Raleigh on others). The best ones I've had have been Blue Sky Dining (best grilled cheese ever-- they combine it with BBQ and it's delicious), Chirba Chirba for their dumplings, and Only Burger has pretty good burgers though there's a lot of burger competition around here lately. Here's a pretty good list for any RDU-ers interested- http://www.crankydiners.com/food-trucks/

We had a food truck around our office building called the Tin Kitchen that was pretty good, and they expanded into the space left vacant by a former restaurant. We haven't seen the food truck in a while, so I'm wondering if it's on hiatus until it gets warm or if they sold it off to focus on the brick-and-mortar place instead.

A friend of mine just bought a truck and route from someone, but she doesn't actually make her own food. She buys food from other places and resells it to people at places like car dealerships who want something fast. Apparently it's a ton of work, whenever I see her she's always exhausted from the maintenance and prep.

Also, the Whitewater Center did a huge food truck festival last year, they had people waiting in lines for hours.

We had a food truck around our office building called the Tin Kitchen that was pretty good, and they expanded into the space left vacant by a former restaurant. We haven't seen the food truck in a while, so I'm wondering if it's on hiatus until it gets warm or if they sold it off to focus on the brick-and-mortar place instead.

The truck is still out there:
http://www.tinkitchenfoodtruck.com/location/

Yeah, very little rain at all. Issues with fog, depending where you are in the city and what time of day. Perfectly clear skies in the mid-60s today. Looks like cloudy with showers and the mid-40s today in Atlanta. World class!

Yeah, except that thing where you don't have summer. Ever.

Know what happens during a hot summer? Hot chicks wear less, drink more.

Again, probably not a factor if you are a geedy neckbeard who's goal for the day is first in line at the bulgogi truck. Different strokes for different folks.

lol at TAB.

what a DONK.

we got 5 inches of rainfall this year. if you want ehat, you can drive 40 minutes to wine country or south and chill on the water.

Back