• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football assistant coaches thread

I think Grobe will get an low end FCS head job and Lobo will be his OC.

We should have a pool of where Lobo actually ends up. Nothing specific- just options like FBS assistant; FCS assistant; Division II HC/Assistant; High school; whatever. Some here are convinced he'll get another FBS job.

He will. He's been an OC at a BCS school for years.

Basing this on nothing but instinct but I just don't see Grobe wanting another job. He's tired of the drain and it's apparent. Some team could be pushing for interviews and he could flirt but I'd be surprised if he bit. Can't see Lobo getting a job anywhere other than Bojangles.

Basing this on nothing but instinct but I just don't see Grobe wanting another job. He's tired of the drain and it's apparent. Some team could be pushing for interviews and he could flirt but I'd be surprised if he bit. Can't see Lobo getting a job anywhere other than Bojangles.

I guess you didn't hear his press conference announcing he was leaving? He was pretty clear that he wanted to continue coaching.

Grobe will grab another coaching gig and will take Lobo with him. Might not be this coming season, but they both should have enough in the bank to take a year off

I guess you didn't hear his press conference announcing he was leaving? He was pretty clear that he wanted to continue coaching.

As I said (and watched the whole PC) I have a gut feeling he won't accept another job. Why do people act like this is so unheard of? He didn't jet for Arkansas or any of the other positions he was orbiting. He had a good thing at Wake and realized it. I would not be surprised if he just retires to a huge house on Lake Norman. I would be only slightly surprised if he does take a job- an FBS job for sure. FCS? Maybe. I just didn't get the feeling he would. Of course, he could be announced as the new Alabama coach when Saban takes off for Austin.

As I said (and watched the whole PC) I have a gut feeling he won't accept another job. Why do people act like this is so unheard of? He didn't jet for Arkansas or any of the other positions he was orbiting. He had a good thing at Wake and realized it. I would not be surprised if he just retires to a huge house on Lake Norman. I would be only slightly surprised if he does take a job- an FBS job for sure. FCS? Maybe. I just didn't get the feeling he would. Of course, he could be announced as the new Alabama coach when Saban takes off for Austin.

I'd love to see that just to watch Tuscaloosa go up in flames. If the fans didn't burn the whole city down over the announcement, they certainly would after Lobo's first series calling plays.

I could see Lobo getting an OL coach gig, especially at a place that runs an option based attack with cut blocking. Wake's OL was pretty good early in Grobe's tenure. It wasn't until Lobo started pulling double-duty that the OL started to suck.

I could see Lobo getting an OL coach gig, especially at a place that runs an option based attack with cut blocking. Wake's OL was pretty good early in Grobe's tenure. It wasn't until Lobo started pulling double-duty that the OL started to suck.

What about Wakes experiment with the option makes you think he would be an attractive candidate for an option based offense?

So Adam Scheier (special teams) is the guy we're looking to bring aboard? He's coaching BG in their bowl game and is the candidate for their HC spot? If he's that well respected, it would seem tough for Clawson to retain him.

Interesting. Coach R was the position coach for Josh Freeman and Marques Colston. His offensive numbers weren't that impressive until this year.

I noticed that too, but between Clawson and Ruggiero they have an impressive list of QBs they've recruited and/or coached.

I can't see BG hiring the ST coordinator as their head coach. I thought they let him coach the bowl game because they thought the OC and DC could potentially be HC candidates. It would be a big leap to hire someone without at least OC or DC experience.

Here is what I was referring to. I agree it sounds strange, but there have been some recent articles/tweets about how impressive Scheier has been since taking over for Clawson.

Wake Forest: Dave Clawson said at his press conference today he'd like to bring Bowling Green offensive coordinator Warren Ruggiero, defensive coordinator Mike Elko and special teams coordinator Adam Scheier with him to Wake Forest. Clawson mentioned that one of his coordinators was a candidate for the Bowling Green head job. Through a separate source we had heard that Scheier was a candidate for the job, but have not confirmed that.

It was an honest question regarding whether or not you'd heard the PC. I was surprised to hear him answer the question so directly and in that manner. I always assumed, as you now speculate, that he'd ride off into the sunset after his stint at WF. Maybe he still ends up doing that, but he sure didn't sound (to me) like someone that was ready to hang it up.

We should have a pool of where Lobo actually ends up. Nothing specific- just options like FBS assistant; FCS assistant; Division II HC/Assistant; High school; whatever. Some here are convinced he'll get another FBS job.

UNCC as either a RB or OL coach.......

It was an honest question regarding whether or not you'd heard the PC. I was surprised to hear him answer the question so directly and in that manner. I always assumed, as you now speculate, that he'd ride off into the sunset after his stint at WF. Maybe he still ends up doing that, but he sure didn't sound (to me) like someone that was ready to hang it up.

I hope for his own sake that he takes a year or two off, let's Lobo find a job, and resurfaces somewhere to amend the "loyal to a fault" narrative that really sunk him here.

What about Wakes experiment with the option makes you think he would be an attractive candidate for an option based offense?

The fact that he coached OL at Air Force and Ohio - 2 option based teams? I'm certainly not suggesting that someone would let him - construct an offense, scheme for an offense, call plays for an offense, etc. I am just talking about coaching OL.

Back