• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football practice report

Every year, the same thing. Offense struggles in practice. Offense struggles all season. You'd think stuff like this would worry Grobe.

“We had a hard time, really, against both (defensive) units,” Grobe said. “Against the ones and the twos there were some issues, just finding stuff to do down inside. We had, offensively, a handful of nice perimeter plays, throwing and running. But between the tackles, it was not real productive today.

“So, we’ve got to get the offense to pick up the pace a little bit, I think, and play a little bit more assertively and confidently. But again, I just thought the defense had a good day for our first day of live tackling.”

Grobe said there were mitigating factors for the play of the offense, which had been looking impressive in recent practices. Offensive coordinator Steed Lobotzke attempted to get a bead on as much of the offense as possible and not all of it has been absorbed.

“We called about everything that we’ve done — all of our throws, all of our runs,’’ Grobe said. “It was about everything that we’ve had in the first eight or nine practices, we tried to get a look at.’’

Mitigating factors is a nice term for "excuses."

They can try to explain it away, but we hear it every season, and every season it turns out that the offense really is that poor once the lights turn on.

It's hard to have a legit defense when they don't get to practice against a decent offense.

I'm a big proponent of not paying too much attention to what happens at pre-season practices and scrimmages from a fan's point of view. Especially with as little uselful feedback as we get from the coaches. It's disappointing that there isn't alot of positive vibe or commentary right now from the media and fan observers, still it only counts how we play in the real games. My expectations for this season aren't very high, but it would be great to be wrong. Let's hope the team practices hard and effectively, there are no more key player injuries, and we'll see what happens when the season starts. Nothing else to see here.

I'm a big proponent of not paying too much attention to what happens at pre-season practices and scrimmages from a fan's point of view. Especially with as little uselful feedback as we get from the coaches. It's disappointing that there isn't alot of positive vibe or commentary right now from the media and fan observers, still it only counts how we play in the real games. My expectations for this season aren't very high, but it would be great to be wrong. Let's hope the team practices hard and effectively, there are no more key player injuries, and we'll see what happens when the season starts. Nothing else to see here.

There has been a lot of positivity from those that are actually attending the practices.

If we had a track record of bad offensive scrimmages that were proven meaningless by solid offensive play in season, I'd agree that we shouldn't blow scrimmages out of proportion. But that's not the trend we're dealing with.

There are those who still believe [Redacted] is the answer.

Every year, the same thing. Offense struggles in practice. Offense struggles all season. You'd think stuff like this would worry Grobe.

“We had a hard time, really, against both (defensive) units,” Grobe said. “Against the ones and the twos there were some issues, just finding stuff to do down inside. We had, offensively, a handful of nice perimeter plays, throwing and running. But between the tackles, it was not real productive today.

“So, we’ve got to get the offense to pick up the pace a little bit, I think, and play a little bit more assertively and confidently. But again, I just thought the defense had a good day for our first day of live tackling.”

Grobe said there were mitigating factors for the play of the offense, which had been looking impressive in recent practices. Offensive coordinator Steed Lobotzke attempted to get a bead on as much of the offense as possible and not all of it has been absorbed.

“We called about everything that we’ve done — all of our throws, all of our runs,’’ Grobe said. “It was about everything that we’ve had in the first eight or nine practices, we tried to get a look at.’’
You left out the next paragraph in the article.

"Also, the work of first-string quarterback Tanner Price was limited as Grobe, Lobotzke and Tom Elrod, the assistant in charge of quarterbacks, continue to hold auditions for a backup. The candidates are redshirt junior Patrick Thompson, redshirt sophomore Kevin Sousa and redshirt freshman Tyler Cameron."

No TDs scored in the Spring "game". No TDs scored in first Fall scrimmage. No ability to run between the tackles. This is the same crap we've been seeing at least for the last four [losing] years. What straw is there to grasp at to contrive some positive spin for this team? The defence, which was blown out in a number of games and in three consecutive games to conclude last season, seems only to look competent against our own offense.

You left out the next paragraph in the article.

"Also, the work of first-string quarterback Tanner Price was limited as Grobe, Lobotzke and Tom Elrod, the assistant in charge of quarterbacks, continue to hold auditions for a backup. The candidates are redshirt junior Patrick Thompson, redshirt sophomore Kevin Sousa and redshirt freshman Tyler Cameron."

Shouldn't affect the running game between the tackles and it is bad not to have another QB who can lead the first team O against the first and second string D.

Always excuses as if Wake shouldn't have multiple players ready to play.

Shouldn't affect the running game between the tackles and it is bad not to have another QB who can lead the first team O against the first and second string D.

Always excuses as if Wake shouldn't have multiple players ready to play.
I didn't make an excuse. I was simply trying to point out something that I found helpful in interpreting what came before it. Perhaps others who didn't read the article and only saw what you posted might do the same.

Sorry. Grobe and Dan made an excuse saying that we didn't have our first team QB so that why the offense didn't perform against the second team D with QBs vying for the 2 spot.

No TDs scored in the Spring "game". No TDs scored in first Fall scrimmage. No ability to run between the tackles. This is the same crap we've been seeing at least for the last four [losing] years. What straw is there to grasp at to contrive some positive spin for this team? The defence, which was blown out in a number of games and in three consecutive games to conclude last season, seems only to look competent against our own offense.

Bingo. Another of year Lobo at the helm and the offense will be bad. Hard to believe that Grobe continues to support this clown. But wait, he has learned from RW how to support coaches that cannot do their job!

I find issue that we can't run between the tackles against an undersized front 7.

Side note: sounds like donatell is doing goods things

But he was the QB of the future who chose us over Michigan?

Funny that the only hype worthy QB we've recruited over the last several years was the only one who wasn't hyped (Skinner).

I'm not going to get excited that a QB can catch better than our WRs although that is a low bar. Good luck to him though.

Back