• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Schedule: Are we playing at Utah State?

Great idea. Easy to get to. Lot of Wake fans will be able to travel there. Great tv interest.

Can't wait.

Not a bad late addition, especially since most FBS teams aren't going to give us a 2 for 1 deal and Utah State did.

Wake's first ever game in Utah as well in football.

They play UT in Knoxville on August 30 so they will not be a total surprise to us.

The biggest question I have right now is whether we will play our FCS team in week two or if we will get a home ACC game. It would be awful to have a road ACC game week two as we would open with three straight road games. BC is open on week two as of right now and I think it would be cool to have another early season tilt against them.

Much of college football is experience, and according to Phil Steele, USU is as experienced as it comes in Utah.
The Aggies had the best season in the history of the program in 2012, going 11-2, defeating Utah and winning the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, the second bowl victory in the history of USU football.
Most of that team is returning. Thirteen 2013 senior starters are returning to the Aggie depth chart, while three 2013 seniors are on the two deep. Seven junior starters are returning and 12 Aggie juniors are on the two-deep. USU also features two starting sophomores on the post-spring depth chart and no freshmen.

Would think they'd be losing a lot of key people this year.

The 1970 ACC Championship team opened with 3 straight road games, Nebraska, South Carolina, FSU, we did OK with it.

Utah State loses six starters on O and six on D. With that said, one big key for USU will be multi-threat QB Chuck Keaton. When USU had Chuck Keaton they were a legit top 25 team. He blew out his knee early in the season, and USU relied on a tough D to win lowing scoring games against mediocre opponents the rest of the way (including N. Illinois in the Poinsettia Bowl). Keaton is returning to USU (rather than going to the NFL) in 2014. If he is ready to play back to his pre-injury form, Utah State will be really good in 2014. If he is out or hobbled, they will be beatable.

If he is ready to play back to his pre-injury form, Utah State will be really good in 2014. If he is out or hobbled, they will be beatable.

I read your post and viscerally reacted with "no way is Wake Forest going to Utah and winning that game." Had to snap myself back into remembering that we have a new coach so there is actually hope. Have taken so many beatings the last 5 years the adjustment is going to take time.

Lost all 3 but then won 4 in a row. As the ACC champs we would go to the Orange Bowl in today's system. In those days 8-3 teams would be closed out of a bowl game, so not comparable. With that said we still have one of the two ACC Championship banners that Wake owns. You judge teams by Championships!

I read your post and viscerally reacted with "no way is Wake Forest going to Utah and winning that game." Had to snap myself back into remembering that we have a new coach so there is actually hope. Have taken so many beatings the last 5 years the adjustment is going to take time.

Couldn't be worse than the trip to Air Force in the Caldwell era. 42-0. Think we were down 21-0 after 1 quarter.

After reading Pilchard's post, I am glad we get USU early in the year.

Couldn't be worse than the trip to Air Force in the Caldwell era. 42-0. Think we were down 21-0 after 1 quarter.

After reading Pilchard's post, I am glad we get USU early in the year.

Ah yes, my first Wake game as a student when SI ranked us 22nd for some unknown reason. My fondest memory of that game was Adrian Duncan attempting to field a punt in the end zone, but instead fumbling it and giving AFA a touchdown.

I remember it was supposed to be a close game; no idea we were ranked by SI. I checked and we were only down 7-0 after 1 and 21-0 at half.

Back