• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Schedule: Are we playing at Utah State?

I think it's better that Clawson works out the kinks in front of dozens of Deacon fans, than thousands of Deacon fans. I'm not expecting much from this team. Our offensive will be as good as our OL will be. Claw's defensive scheme won't work with the personnel we have. We don't have enough DLs, unless you want to put a 220 lbs LB over a 300 lbs OT.

Why not play a challenging road game this season? It's going to be a much better learning experience than another FCS game.

So what are the known dates on the schedule? How do we know BC is tentatively week 2?

I think it's better that Clawson works out the kinks in front of dozens of Deacon fans, than thousands of Deacon fans. I'm not expecting much from this team. Our offensive will be as good as our OL will be. Claw's defensive scheme won't work with the personnel we have. We don't have enough DLs, unless you want to put a 220 lbs LB over a 300 lbs OT.

Stop looking at the current roster weights they are not accurate at all.

I'm in for this game. Will be a great time of year to plan a business trip to the SLC area and stay over the weekend.

(I did this a few years ago for the Stanford game.......will be expecting much better results for this game)

Why not play a challenging road game this season? It's going to be a much better learning experience than another FCS game.

So what are the known dates on the schedule? How do we know BC is tentatively week 2?

Playing on the road at the defending national champions FSU, at the defending Coastal Division Champions in Durham, at Raleigh (where we've won once since 1980 something), at Louisville (coming off a 12 win season) and going on the road to Louisiana is challenge enough for a team learning a completely new system, breaking in a new staff and breaking in a new quarterback. Take your two FCS wins, artificially inflate your first year record for recruiting purposes and be ready to take a step up the following year.

Couldn't be worse than the trip to Air Force in the Caldwell era. 42-0. Think we were down 21-0 after 1 quarter.

After reading Pilchard's post, I am glad we get USU early in the year.

Man, that was awful. We were actually ranked in the Sporting News Preseason Top 25 and I remember being so excited for the start of the season and we got absolutely creamed by Air Force.

Just as long as I don't have to watch a butchered, half-ass attempt at running the option, I'll look forward to ANY game we play in 2014.

Please. Just show a little progress as the season unfolds. Is that too much to ask?

Known dates are opening Thursday at ULM, nothing scheduled yet for the week after, at Utah State week 3, and then at home against Army week 4. I know you can start practicing a little early if you move your opening week game up (even though I believe total practice hours and days are still the same overall), but it also gives you time for a Week 2 plan since you get a couple extra days of focus on them. I wouldn't be surprised to see BC get an early season return trip here, and I doubt if it were an ACC game we would be on the road to open the first three weeks. BC still has an open week in week two. We could just schedule the FCS (maybe Western) there and then have a home game assured, but then we would have four OOC games to start the season, which I don't necessarily know if it's the best case. Although with Clawson being new, maybe we want four OOC games to fool around with things before we get into the heat of the ACC.

This game doesn't bother me at all. Getting a 2 for 1 with any FBS school is a coup for Wake. And I like playing different schools. You don't see many west coast teams in Groves.

I'm in for this game. Will be a great time of year to plan a business trip to the SLC area and stay over the weekend.

(I did this a few years ago for the Stanford game.......will be expecting much better results for this game)

I did that for Stanford as well and will do it for this game too.

Not a smart game. First BCS team to ever play at Utah State. Nobody else in the ACC would play this game. Vandy has 8 home games next year and Duke has a great non conference schedule. This all comes down to Wake Forest not wanting to pay money for a game.

I mean getting a 2 for 1 against an FBS is fine. Nobody has expectations of the team this year so it's basically just a random game. I agree with Chris that I like to see west coast teams, and we get two guaranteed home games in the future when we're going to presumably be better under Claws. I'd rather play this game and get the three game series than see Western and Elon in back to back weeks.

The problem with teams like ULM and USU is that they're pretty good teams that sound like terrible teams. To the average fan, a win doesn't garner much credit and a loss seems worse than it is.

Fortunately media, recruits, and informed fans know the truth, but I want the everyday Triad fan (and/or Deac alum) to rally behind Claws and his squad from the get-go. Sadly some of them only do that when they start seeing W's.

Not a smart game. First BCS team to ever play at Utah State. Nobody else in the ACC would play this game. Vandy has 8 home games next year and Duke has a great non conference schedule. This all comes down to Wake Forest not wanting to pay money for a game.

The University of Utah (Pac-12) has never played at Utah State?

I'm torn between whether this is a gutsy move that shows that we're not scared and are being creative or is a misstep because our young team with a new coach really just needs a home cupcake in this slot.

Solution: I'll reserve judgment and play monday morning quarterback if it doesnt work out for us.

If we do well at ULM, then it won't matter who we play in the 3rd week. If we stink at ULM, all is lost and it won't matter how we do in week 3. If a ACC game is in week 2, then a 4-0 start would be coach of the year worthy. I'm not expecting anything from this year. I can see a lot of players leaving and Clawson hitting the recruiting trail for '15 at midnight tonight.

I'm torn between whether this is a gutsy move that shows that we're not scared and are being creative or is a misstep because our young team with a new coach really just needs a home cupcake in this slot.

Solution: I'll reserve judgment and play monday morning quarterback if it doesnt work out for us.

You were born to post on this board.

The University of Utah (Pac-12) has never played at Utah State?

Not unusual that it takes awhile for teams to play at a "lesser" in-state rival out of conference.

Also Utah is recently BCS.

Works great for me!

Works great! Pika road trip with the wives. Fly to Salt Lake City and drive up to Logan. Go just a few more miles and see Pocatello, Idaho and go a few miles east and you are in Wyoming. This could be a great trip even though they are a very good football team that just beat 12-1 Fresno St in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Back