• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

It's not an admission. It's a matter of collateral estoppel. The issue of whether he caused physical injury to Szabo and whether he acted in a reckless or intentional matter has been determined by a fact finder and cannot be re-litigated. Assuming he argued self defense at the criminal trial and that claim was rejected by the jury, he would also be precluded from arguing self defense in the civil trial as well.

Of course, from a practical perspective, the criminal conviction also means Jones' insurance will quickly disclaim coverage (if they haven't already) for an intentional act.

I’ve tried civil jury cases for 34 years and have never heard that one. But I’m always eager to learn, so please give me the leading NC case on this issue.

Once again, Jones hit a super hammered man who was banging on his car and causing havoc all about town - with his fiest - once- and is going to jail.

George Zimmerman accosted an unarmed teenager with a gun who was walking down the sidewalk and then shot him and he walks. Mind you, Trayvon Martin had not gotten into multiple fights or banged on Zimmerman's car window to warrant the attack. He was walking to his dad's house. Aquitted. Zimmerman cashed out on the acquittal via a bogus Go Fund Me account and selling his memorabilia.

Justice in America

Last edited:
Once again, Jones hit a super hammered man who was banging on his car and causing havoc all about town - with his fiest - once- and is going to jail.

George Zimmerman accosted an unarmed teenager with a gun who was walking down the sidewalk and then shot him and he walks. Mind you, Trayvon Martin had not gotten into multiple fights or banged on Zimmerman's car window to warrant the attack. He was walking to his dad's house. Aquitted. Zimmerman cashed out on the acquittal via a bogus Go Fund Me account and selling his memorabilia.

Justice in America

Breaking news: Different states have different laws.

Justice in America

Hey dipshit, two wrongs don't make a right. Zimmerman deserved to go to jail too. Should Jones Walk bc Florida fucked up?

But Assistant District Attorney Kirk Sendlein asserted that an enraged Jones, 38, overreacted and punched the 5-foot-10 Szabo with such force that the victim’s brain stem was detached from his brain.

:eek:

The brainstem detachment is pretty easy to see on autopsy, so ME would be witness to that. Cause of detachment could be either the punch or the head hitting the curb.

This detachment thing is bullshit. I spent 5.5+ years reading trauma scans at two different level 1 trauma centers - everything from chainsaw to the face to unrestrained passenger ejected 300 feet across the interstate. Never once did I see a brainstem "detached" from the remainder of the brain. The idea that a human could cause that from a single punch or even the subsequent collision with the ground is pure fantasy. At best, the ADA is being loose with language. At worst, he/she is lying.

Hey dipshit, two wrongs don't make a right. Zimmerman deserved to go to jail too. Should Jones Walk bc Florida fucked up?

Not defending jones per se. I think he should go to jail dumbass. I am just noting the unfairness and color codedness of our legal system.

Black lives matter wasn't created as a brand. It was created because black men were tired of being killed often in cold blood and have their killers walk.

Color blindness is a luxury only afforded white men.

See the deceased; one man was white; one man was black

You completely missed the point, dumbass. You argued that Jones went to jail cause he was black and Zimmerman got off because he was "white" when in fact Zimmerman was mixed race. Facts don't care about your feelings, jaybone.

Does anyone think he had a right to punch this dude? And if you do, because he landed a one in a million brain stem detaching punch he needs to go to prison? It's not like he cracked the dude with a baseball bat.

You completely missed the point, dumbass. You argued that Jones went to jail cause he was black and Zimmerman got off because he was "white" when in fact Zimmerman was mixed race. Facts don't care about your feelings, jaybone.

I didn't. I'm arguing that the system is systemically racist. Those are simply facts. Conviction rates and sentencing are both skewed against black men.

I don't quite understand the need to dispute that. Thems facts. Do you just need the national narrative to be racism is over for some reason? Oh, I suppose I should direct a derogatory word back at you as well - let's go w tool.

I didn't. I'm arguing that the system is systemically racist. Those are simply facts. Conviction rates and sentencing are both skewed against black men.

I don't quite understand the need to dispute that. Thems facts. Do you just need the national narrative to be racism is over for some reason? Oh, I suppose I should direct a derogatory word back at you as well - let's go w tool.

Look, he killed a man, and he’s only getting a year of jail time. He’s a lucky black man. He probably deserves more time imo. He punched a guy, and then fled the scene. He saw the dude’s head hit the side of the curb, and ran away. Pretty bad look for a guy that coaches 18-22 year olds.

This detachment thing is bullshit. I spent 5.5+ years reading trauma scans at two different level 1 trauma centers - everything from chainsaw to the face to unrestrained passenger ejected 300 feet across the interstate. Never once did I see a brainstem "detached" from the remainder of the brain. The idea that a human could cause that from a single punch or even the subsequent collision with the ground is pure fantasy. At best, the ADA is being loose with language. At worst, he/she is lying.

A lawyer being imprecise with medical findings or outright lying? Shocking! News at 11!

Look, he killed a man, and he’s only getting a year of jail time. He’s a lucky black man. He probably deserves more time imo. He punched a guy, and then fled the scene. He saw the dude’s head hit the side of the curb, and ran away. Pretty bad look for a guy that coaches 18-22 year olds.

Definitely a bad look and I agree. But just mostly. Close your eyes and reverse the races of the two men. The black guy is the one in multiple fights. The black guy bangs on the white guy's window. The white gets out to inspect damage to his car. Anybody gonna deny his right to punch the black guy justified for "fear for his life?" Now add in hysterical black mother. That mother would have been dismissed by all.

I'm not saying Jones doesn't deserve some jail time. But I am saying if their races are reversed, he doesn't do any time at all. Its probation and a slap on the wrist.

I'm basing this on precedent and statistics.

The ironic thing to me is that the only wake alumni group who'd agree w me by a large majority are the very scholly athletes we all come on here to passionately talk about and discuss and follow. Because they have to know this have had to understand this to get to where they are. Justice is not color blind, not yet.

Definitely a bad look and I agree. But just mostly. Close your eyes and reverse the races of the two men. The black guy is the one in multiple fights. The black guy bangs on the white guy's window. The white gets out to inspect damage to his car. Anybody gonna deny his right to punch the black guy justified for "fear for his life?" Now add in hysterical black mother. That mother would have been dismissed by all.

I'm not saying Jones doesn't deserve some jail time. But I am saying if their races are reversed, he doesn't do any time at all. Its probation and a slap on the wrist.

I'm basing this on precedent and statistics.

especially if the white guy is wearing size 12 Bruno Magli shoes

Back