• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Pretty sure it was established that this was a recruiting dead period.

Pretty sure it was established that this was a recruiting dead period.

As far as can be discovered, jamil Jone's trip to NYC was on personal business to visit his girlfriend/fiancee.

It appears he was not on Wake business, because, as noted it was an official "dead period" in the NCAA basketball recruiting calendar.

I stand corrected. I had forgotten about the dead period.

In my opinion, Jones should be very thankful all he got away with is a misdemeanor. He killed a guy with no legal justification.

Definitely a bad look and I agree. But just mostly. Close your eyes and reverse the races of the two men. The black guy is the one in multiple fights. The black guy bangs on the white guy's window. The white gets out to inspect damage to his car. Anybody gonna deny his right to punch the black guy justified for "fear for his life?" Now add in hysterical black mother. That mother would have been dismissed by all.

I'm not saying Jones doesn't deserve some jail time. But I am saying if their races are reversed, he doesn't do any time at all. Its probation and a slap on the wrist.

I'm basing this on precedent and statistics.

I’m not racist. So I know if the roles were reversed I would not see it any differently. White or black, I think punching someone to where he dies deserves more than a year in prison. It’s wrong. He had no business doing such a thing. If Jones was white he’d be serving at least a year too, maybe more.

What does someone deserve if they pursue, shoot and kill an innocent teenager walking home?

saw a guy break a window with his fist before.

https://gfycat.com/deliciousbossyhoverfly
DeliciousBossyHoverfly-mobile.mp4

Last edited:
Does anyone believe that the guy broke out Jones' back window? I don't think there is any way the guy broke his window with his hand. Jones probably drove back to NC, broke it and took a picture of it to give himself reason for the attack... I say that with no actual knowledge, of course...

The video certainly makes it look like Jones has an anger problem - why else would he jump out of his car and sprint like that with no intention to do anything other than punch the guy? Who does that?

I don't believe the kid broke his window. Show me the broken glass at the crime scene.

Last edited:
I’m not racist. So I know if the roles were reversed I would not see it any differently. White or black, I think punching someone to where he dies deserves more than a year in prison. It’s wrong. He had no business doing such a thing. If Jones was white he’d be serving at least a year too, maybe more.

Statistics dont support this. At all.

White dudes declaring they are "not racist" and totally colorblind I find hilarious and ironic. Because only white dudes can afford to think that way!

That NY case holds that collateral estoppel didn’t apply in a declaratory action filed by an insurance company to determine a duty to defend. The issues are different in criminal and civil cases. If the mother files a wrongful death case against Jones, she will have to prove that Jones was not entitled to defend himself. His insurance company will likely deny coverage but have to defend him under a reservation of rights. It’s likely that she will win the wrongful death case and there will be no coverage by his homeowners policy for his intentional act of assaulting the victim. However, there will be no collateral estoppel. The finding of guilty by the NY jury will have no bearing on the civil suit or the insurance company’s duty to defend and coverage.

n appropriate situations, an issue decided in a criminal proceeding may be given preclusive effect in a subsequent civil action” (id.; see Allstate Ins. Co. v Zuk, 78 NY2d at 45).

Statistics dont support this. At all.

White dudes declaring they are "not racist" and totally colorblind I find hilarious and ironic. Because only white dudes can afford to think that way!

#allwhitepeopleareracist

#allwhitepeopleareracist

You are running from the point. I obviously doubt that anyone on here is racist. However, there is a difference between not being a racist and being antiracist. There is a pretty good book entitled, White Fragility. And the responses on here in the last page or two play to that. Hell, even the Dave Chappelle bit plays to it. The author posits that it is not enough to simply not be a racist. White folk allow the problems/issues to continue by sticking their collective heads in the sand and declare themselves "not racist". Honestly, the book builds an argument pretty well, but the last half of hit seemed to be redundant to me. I do recommend it though.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/a-sociologist-examines-the-white-fragility-that-prevents-white-americans-from-confronting-racism

I am reading up on this subject for selfish reasons. My son is biracial but is perceived as black by the public. He's 10 so as he gets bigger and older: a) I want to be thoughtful and have answers to his questions when they come up so that he won't have to only rely on his Mom, and b) I am a bit scared and apprehensive for him

I get that this is all touchy and I probably sound like some version of Juaquin Phoenix' acceptance speech last night. That is not my intent and I promise not to parlay this conversation into musing on cows milk - but folks arguing that the system works the same for black and brown people compared to white people are simply ignoring all the statistical proof that the opposite is true. It is hard to fix a problem when you ignore it. I get that each case is its own case and to compare Jones to Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin to Jones' victim doesn't really work. Nobody has tapped anything on here though leads me to believe that if Jones was white and his victim black, he'd have gotten the same result and the same sentence (pending). I think he'd have been acquitted if he were white. Fired from his job, but acquitted. Because I think that a narrative that the super drunk man banging around this neighborhood getting in multiple fights before his confrontation would be fairly easily defined as a perceived threat to Jones' life if the race of the two men were reversed. I also think the involvement and words of the mother would have totally been written off as hysteria if she were black.

Back