• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU/Clemson to Big 12? Demise of ACC?

If we joined the SEC, we should hire Gene Hooks back as AD. He could then sell all of our home football games to Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia & Tennessee. Our home schedule would consist of about three games with Liberty, Navy & Elon, etc. As a matter of fact, Hooks was the AD during my four years at Wake....and we had 3, 3, 4 & 3 home football games during those four years. This is a man who once had us playing a home game with Clemson in Japan.

And doing so allowed us to pay Carl Tacy.

Gene Hooks, admit it or not, made Wake Forest sports relevent. I played golf with a Minnesota transplant to the south and he can not believe to this day how Wake Forest sports is really more relevent than Minnesota despite their resources. I could not disagree.

Gene Hooks, admit it or not, made Wake Forest sports relevent. I played golf with a Minnesota transplant to the south and he can not believe to this day how Wake Forest sports is really more relevent than Minnesota despite their resources. I could not disagree.

Who in the hell wants to live in Minnesota? Your friend (obviously) included.

Wake used to play guarantee games all the time. Now we have had Nebraska and Notre Dame at home.

Who in the hell wants to live in Minnesota? Your friend (obviously) included.

Living there is one thing. Going to school there is another. Minnesota is an impressive university. Their resources are vastly beyond Wake's. But they underachieve in an unbelievable fashion.

If we joined the SEC, we should hire Gene Hooks back as AD. He could then sell all of our home football games to Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia & Tennessee. Our home schedule would consist of about three games with Liberty, Navy & Elon, etc. As a matter of fact, Hooks was the AD during my four years at Wake....and we had 3, 3, 4 & 3 home football games during those four years. This is a man who once had us playing a home game with Clemson in Japan.

Bob Knight has no clue here. Doing those games on the road kept us financially afloat back in those days. Getting $250,000 guarantee on the road in football paid for all of our other sports when we played at Penn State, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida St [ in Orlando ]...all this was back before TV was a big deal and these packages were not where they are today. Buck up Knight and get real. Hooks was the man and kept us in the black.

Bob Knight has no clue here. Doing those games on the road kept us financially afloat back in those days. Getting $250,000 guarantee on the road in football paid for all of our other sports when we played at Penn State, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida St [ in Orlando ]...all this was back before TV was a big deal and these packages were not where they are today. Buck up Knight and get real. Hooks was the man and kept us in the black.

What can you say about an AD who could only raise money by renting out our home football games? Nice going Gene, the eternal poster child for LOWF!

What can you say about an AD who could only raise money by renting out our home football games? Nice going Gene, the eternal poster child for LOWF!

I think Hooks was the AD when Groves was built. Might have been a liitle fund raising there. Also was AD when we worked out the deal to financially assist the city building the Joel. Might have been a little fund raising there. Wellman was AD when we rented out our home FSU game to Orlando. Carry on.

So bkf earlier in this thread was decrying how we have no value as an athletic program, and then later complains that GH had to sell guarantee games when we really had no value as an athletic prgoram.

I think Hooks was the AD when Groves was built. Might have been a liitle fund raising there. Also was AD when we worked out the deal to financially assist the city building the Joel. Might have been a little fund raising there. Wellman was AD when we rented out our home FSU game to Orlando. Carry on.

I'll give Hooks a little credit for Groves, and that is a reflection of the fact that he was OK in the beginning but got ever weaker the longer he stayed. Not much credit goes to Hooks for the Joel. It's a Winston-Salem facility. The city is lucky we play there. A real AD would have built an on campus arena. Wellman has done a lot more in a lot less time.

Wellman had alot more to work with than Hooks.

Hooks helped broker a nice place for us to play when we didn't have the money to build our own facility. To me that's a win-win.

Again, we were selling home football games to help finance the athletic department.

What frustrates me about this situation is why places like FSU don't see the issues that drove Missouri, Texas A&M and Nebraska away.

Do they have the "it'll never happen to us" mentality?

When those teams left, the Big XII was only making $7 million a year per team. They left because of money. Now, that's not the case. It's not the LHN, either. Hell... Nebraska announce their mover before the LHN was ever talked about.

I'll give Hooks a little credit for Groves, and that is a reflection of the fact that he was OK in the beginning but got ever weaker the longer he stayed. Not much credit goes to Hooks for the Joel. It's a Winston-Salem facility. The city is lucky we play there. A real AD would have built an on campus arena. Wellman has done a lot more in a lot less time.

I'm sure Ron would tell you thanks to conference TV deals he has much more money to help with facilities. Without Hooks' financial sense we would not be in the ACC today. Also, count the championships won by coaches he hired that were paid very little when hired.

Oh, I don't know about that. I was contributing today's equivilant of $21,000/year to the Deacon Club back then.

If we could calculate the aggregate total, would it be okay if we returned it all and then you never spoke of it again?

I'm sick of FSU's whining. It would be a big loss, but just go already. The Seminoles are like the old, washed up player who is full of self importance and thinks he's worth more than he is.

Back