• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU Game Review / Bye Week and Army Game Thread

You're trying to be kind, but we don't want some lower level coach promoted above his ability to take the reins of the offense. If Ruggiero were "reassigned", then a lower coach would be fired to make room for a new OC. Is that fair? No, Ruggiero should just be fired, and bring in someone who knows how to run an offense.

Yeah, you're probably right.

What sucks is that with just consistently competent QB play, we could be looking at a 9 win season. As things stand, we may be lucky to get 6 or 7 wins. I guess we'll see how long Clawson tolerates a horrible offense. So far it is has been 2 and a half years, and we seem to be trying the exact same things.

With the current offense of absolutely no playmaker, awful QB play, and substandard coordinator issues we end the season with 5 wins.

So it sounds like Clawson would definitely play Hinton over Wolford, but said he is still not cleared to play. Also sounds like he thinks Kearns just can't run the offense and do a lot of the pre-snap things that are needed, which is a bit disturbing given that he has been in the offense for a year and half now, and Wolford and Hinton both played as true frosh. Now I would argue that a QB that can do the pre-snap stuff but can't do that post-snap stuff doesn't do you any good either.

So it sounds like Clawson would definitely play Hinton over Wolford, but said he is still not cleared to play. Also sounds like he thinks Kearns just can't run the offense and do a lot of the pre-snap things that are needed, which is a bit disturbing given that he has been in the offense for a year and half now, and Wolford and Hinton both played as true frosh. Now I would argue that a QB that can do the pre-snap stuff but can't do that post-snap stuff doesn't do you any good either.

Is Clawson's penchant for experience and textbook knowledge of playbook clouding his judgment? The most knowledgeable player who cannot play adequately is about as good as trying to play the head coach.

We talk a lot about Ruggiero and fire the OC, but Clawson is the TE's coach and in every offensive meeting I assume. This is his show from all all indications.

Hinton started at Wake in January so he has that edge on Kearns, but Kearns has been healthy longer.

2 questions:

1. Why do we have a bad QB throwing 43 times in a game against Army (or anyone for that matter)? I'm not sure Tom Brady averages that many throws per game.

2. Any idea how to figure out how many times Bachman was targeted with throws? It felt like Wolford threw to him 20+ times, and it just clearly wasn't working. At some point you need to try a different receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolford hasn't improved over the last two years. He's making the same mistakes he made against ULM and Utah St.

Wolford hasn't improved over the last two years. The coaching staff is allowing him to make the same mistakes he made against ULM and Utah St.

Dude throw two picks in the 1st half and we kept chucking the ball with a lead.

I like Wolford and think he is a warrior who has given his all to this team but the fact is he is not an ACC level QB. Added to that is the fact the OC is putting him in positions which make him look even worse and this is what we get. We need Hinton back and healthy and a new OC as soon as possible and also what does this say how bad Kearns must be if he can't even get a sniff with Wolford is playing this bad?

Sometimes you just have to play the guy who has talent and to hell with the play book. In our case it is not a great play book. So come up with three or four passes for Kearns and maybe a reverse or orbit play and get the kid some playing time. We will not win another game with Wolford at QB. He just is like a deer in headlights when things get tough-- heck he was like a deer in headlights with a lead. Once we got behind all he could do with over throw Bachman. If Kearns is not ready to play, who the hell is the QB coach? Did these guys really think that we could go the whole year with just two QBs who can play? Wolford is not up to the task and Hinton is going to get hurt. What the hell do you have spring ball and all of fall practice to do? Obviously the OC coordinator and his staff just did not do their job. Heads need to roll. If DC can't win 7 games with the schedule and the start the team had, he should be on the hot seat and I like him. But he had better not let his loyalty to his OC end his career here!

Can't continue to reward John with playing time if he is going to play so poorly. Need to prepare someone else to start and back up at QB.

Can't continue to reward John with playing time if he is going to play so poorly. Need to prepare someone else to start and back up at QB.

Agreed. Wolford is sucking the fun and any momentum out of this season.

Open date,"scheduled win", Homecoming, good crowd, fan base trying to get excited, perfect weather, at home, season of possibilities before you, program validation, time is now! What could go wrong. Oops. Most everything on offense. Coaching grade F. Clawson may have reached his ceiling if this is what you do with with everything at stake. How can you lose this game? How could we win I guess is the historical, hysterical, rhetorical question. I have been following Wake football for 50 years and this my friends was a stinker.

Arm strength?

Open date,"scheduled win", Homecoming, good crowd, fan base trying to get excited, perfect weather, at home, season of possibilities before you, program validation, time is now! What could go wrong. Oops. Most everything on offense. Coaching grade F. Clawson may have reached his ceiling if this is what you do with with everything at stake. How can you lose this game? How could we win I guess is the historical, hysterical, rhetorical question. I have been following Wake football for 50 years and this my friends was a stinker.

It looks like he doesn't have the arm strength to play QB in Division 1. Every throw is for 5 yards or less, or it looks like a heave made by a 6th grader who is just trying to throw it far enough without any regard for whether there is single or double coverage or safety help. It looks simply like a jump ball/Hail Mary.

Back